PDA

View Full Version : Turbo?

grayfox587
11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
I was wondering how much power would it add if i threw a turbocharger in a cavalier would i see a really big difference give me your thoughts and opinions :)

heyman421
11-20-2006, 11:44 PM
6 psi is roughly equivelant to 10% more displacement

that's almost a 50% increase in intake air pressure, but there's diminishing returns due to added heat/exhaust restrictions

grayfox587
11-20-2006, 11:50 PM
:eyebrow: hmmm im pretty car illiterate lol i want to increase the speed of my cavalier alot would it increase it alot?(only if cars were as easy as computers)

Lil Poot
11-20-2006, 11:52 PM
if you want to go fast, buy a fast car for cryin out loud. it'll end up being cheaper and a lot more enjoyable, plus you'll have decent brakes, suspension, tranny, diff, etc.

sure you could get away with spending "only" 2-3000 dollars to put a turbo on your ****ing CAVALIER, or 1000-1500 if you REALLY know what you're doing and use junkyard parts but you'd better have a few thousand more when the added power and you driving it hard thinking "wow this things fast" and start breaking drivetrain parts.

Jtsky
11-20-2006, 11:53 PM
You have a lot of research to do. Yes, a turbo can greatly increase the speed of you car. Look up turbo chargers on howthingswork.com. That is a good start. From there you will want to see if anyone else has put a turbo on a car like yours. From that you can learn the limitations of your car.

fakename
11-20-2006, 11:54 PM
you can't just put a turbo on a car. theres alot more to it. i suggest a nitrous kit cuz its cheaper

DeViOuSoNe
11-20-2006, 11:55 PM
cavalier + Turbo = BOOOOMMMM!

I Wanna See!

negativezeroz
11-20-2006, 11:55 PM
I was wondering how much power would it add if i threw a turbocharger in a cavalier would i see a really big difference give me your thoughts and opinions :)

:slap: Cavalier's are NOT fast in any form. So no it's a waste of money.

the 2200 EcoTec's at little over 4.5psi made ~170-185whp. Sure thats a nice number for a Cavalier but my little K20Z3 makes that much stock. So no you won't be running more than like low - mid 14's

heyman421
11-20-2006, 11:57 PM
What year is the car?

Jtsky
11-21-2006, 12:00 AM
you can't just put a turbo on a car. theres alot more to it. i suggest a nitrous kit cuz its cheaper

you cant just go spraying either. Both of those can mess things up if you dont know what you are doing. He needs to take the time to research.

grayfox587
11-21-2006, 12:01 AM
ive been looking on the chevy sites and supposedly they make turbo's for specific cavalier engines i figured if i get the one made for my car it would be fine an mine is a 03 thanks for the comments and support keep em comin :)

heyman421
11-21-2006, 12:02 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/427000-427999/427046_69_full.jpg

heyman421
11-21-2006, 12:08 AM
well, with an 03, it wouldn't be all that hard

get a headgasket from the supercharged cavy, and have a shop weld a 4-bolt flange to your downpipe where it used to connect to the cat

an internally wastegated turbo, some post-cat 02 sensor adaptation, some custom pipes (an air to water ic would be easiest in that engine bay), and the cost of a shop to do a fuel map for you, and you'd be set

i gaurantee it could be done for under 2k with a little gt15 or gt20, and however much boost he s/c engine runs, hell you could probably just gank the fuel maps from the s/c'ed model if you used a small enough turbo

grayfox587
11-21-2006, 12:17 AM
hmmm would that be $2k with parts or just for labor? and do you think it would kill my engine? cause im in college and im not lookin for trouble later on note im not gona be racin all the time or w/e

bumpin_blazer
11-21-2006, 12:41 AM
if it's all done right you should be ok but even on an 03' you don't want to cheap on parts. i could have parted together a kit for my 06' 6s for under 3g but i'd rather wait another month and get the extra 2g's for the full stand-alone unit.

grayfox587
11-21-2006, 12:43 AM
can you elaborate more on done right? if i got a full kit would i not have to worry about things breaking since it replaces alot of stuf or what?

heyman421
11-21-2006, 12:51 AM
$2k for parts

you can get a gt15 for $300-400
head gasket and some nice reuseable headstuds ~$300
welding a garret 4-bolt flange to your factory exhaust mani ~$100 at a muffler shop, or free if you can weld airtight
5 or 6 2" j-bends from summit racing or jegs ~$100
A spearco on ebay ~$300
A foot or two of nice 6-ply silicone couplers $20
8 t-bolt clamps $50-100 depending on quality
oil/coolant lines $50

if you just cut the intercooler tubing yourself, and did a mock-up and just got someone to tack the pipes together, you could get it professionally tig-welded for you for another $100 or so, and you're still well below $2k, you could probably even sneak in getting a custom fuel map done for well under

you might even have some cash left to put gas in it afterwards

bumpin_blazer
11-21-2006, 01:32 PM
$2k for parts

you can get a gt15 for $300-400
head gasket and some nice reuseable headstuds ~$300
welding a garret 4-bolt flange to your factory exhaust mani ~$100 at a muffler shop, or free if you can weld airtight
5 or 6 2" j-bends from summit racing or jegs ~$100
A spearco on ebay ~$300
A foot or two of nice 6-ply silicone couplers $20
8 t-bolt clamps $50-100 depending on quality
oil/coolant lines $50

if you just cut the intercooler tubing yourself, and did a mock-up and just got someone to tack the pipes together, you could get it professionally tig-welded for you for another $100 or so, and you're still well below $2k, you could probably even sneak in getting a custom fuel map done for well under

you might even have some cash left to put gas in it afterwards

wish it were that cheap on my 6 lol. 4g's min for my car.

CBFryman2
11-21-2006, 01:45 PM

Turbine Effiency is usually around 70% for the average turbocharger on a gasoline enigne placed close to the exaust manifold as possible.

Assumeing you have the iginition and fule to handle 6PSI of boost (you should), with out an intercooler you should gain roughly 28-30% of the power you are making right now at sea level.

If you live in the moutians where barometic pressure is a couple PSI below average sea level pressure you could gain 33-36% of the power you are making now simply because you would actually be running 8PSI (If barometic pressure is 13PSI and you want 6PSI above sea level that would make for ~8PSI read out on a boost guage)

This is assumeing your ECU will allow the extra fule delivery. :)

CBFryman2
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
You seem to be extremely illeterate on how these kind of things work. Do you even know how a Turbocharger works? I'm not being an ***, I am just asking.

I suggest you go do some serious reading on turbochargers before you decide to dive into installing one on your cavi... :)

spudracer326
11-21-2006, 01:56 PM
can you elaborate more on done right? if i got a full kit would i not have to worry about things breaking since it replaces alot of stuf or what?

a turbo kit is generally never something you can install and forget...and its not just the turbo parts you have to look into an ecu and fuel system...you can do a cheap turbo kit but as the saying goes you get what you pay for....I have contemplated going back to a turbo car or turboing my civic because turbo is addictive, I just had to get out because it gets soooo expensive....really quick.....ohh and bumpin did you end up getting a speed6???

grayfox587
11-21-2006, 03:04 PM
hmmm ic :crap: an no i do not know how a turbo works i have just been reading reviews and whether my engine can handle it or not :uhoh:

bumpin_blazer
11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
a turbo kit is generally never something you can install and forget...and its not just the turbo parts you have to look into an ecu and fuel system...you can do a cheap turbo kit but as the saying goes you get what you pay for....I have contemplated going back to a turbo car or turboing my civic because turbo is addictive, I just had to get out because it gets soooo expensive....really quick.....ohh and bumpin did you end up getting a speed6???

had it for a total of like 16 days, 10 of which it spent at mazda. the final straw was the busted rear axle that i said f*ck this and just got my 06' 6s hatch. i love that car more than the speed6 anyway so i'm happy lol. just to turbo this baby and get 300whp :D.

bumpin_blazer
11-21-2006, 03:54 PM
hmmm ic :crap: an no i do not know how a turbo works i have just been reading reviews and whether my engine can handle it or not :uhoh:

in all realty you'd be MUCH better off searching junk yards, ebay auctions and salvage lots for a s/c'd cavi engine and put it in there. that or look for the same thing but the cobalt SS motor.

CBFryman2
11-21-2006, 04:05 PM

It depends on how it is done. D16 engines I know for a FACT can handle 5PSI with out fule upgrades or much to worry about past up-keep. If the engine cant handle below half an atmostphere without babying it or upgrading a ton of **** it probably isnt worth turbocharging in the first place because in the end you will spend 5,000 for a 40-50hp gain...

smd4life
11-21-2006, 04:06 PM
i've got one forsale in the classifieds if anyone is interested..

Alpine CDA-9815
11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
There is no point in trying to make a slow car like that faster. Just sell the car and buy something that is already fast.

bumpin_blazer
11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
There is no point in trying to make a slow car like that faster. Just sell the car and buy something that is already fast.

the cavy or my 6? i know my 6 isn't the fastest but for stock running 14.7 isn't horrible in a 4 door sedan lol.

Ignatowski
11-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Turbos are the ultimate...I have been messing with them in drag racing
and my buddys runs a 3000HP TT set up in his camaro...We make 32 lbs of boost.
Adding one to a weak motor like a Cav is a recipe for destruction,
not to mention the drive train will crumble from the addl torque you just added
to an already whimpy GM car.....
Nitrous is cheaper,easier to install and with a small jet would be fun and your
drive train will live longer.Greed will get ya eventually though

grayfox587
11-21-2006, 08:41 PM
hmmm okay so nitrous is cheaper and better i guess people are saying so how much would it cost for nitrous with install and stuff? i kno that one dude with the saturn put it in his so inform me pa pa plz :)

CBFryman2
11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
A kit can be had for $400-$600 and a fill up is like $30 last time I was with anyone who has getting one filled.

CBFryman2
11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
a 10lb bottle will last for quite a few boosts with a 50 or 60 shot on a small displacement engine like yours.

Alpine CDA-9815
11-21-2006, 09:31 PM
the cavy or my 6? i know my 6 isn't the fastest but for stock running 14.7 isn't horrible in a 4 door sedan lol.
I was talking to whoever made the tread, so the cavy lol.

grayfox587
11-21-2006, 11:26 PM
now where would i get em filled up at?

bumpin_blazer
11-22-2006, 03:21 AM
I was talking to whoever made the tread, so the cavy lol.

ah k thanks lol. i like's my slow hatch :D. it's peppy enough for now and when she's got more than 5,000 miles she'll have more than just CAI, headers, exhaust.

Ignatowski
11-22-2006, 08:50 AM

at my garage..........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/excelerater/Malibu/DSCN0319.jpg

CBFryman2
11-22-2006, 09:08 AM

Nitous oxide is used for a lot of things. Most gas filler stations (where you can fill propane, acetylene, oxygen, nitrogen, carbondioxide, among others) will carry some sort of Nitrous Oxide. Just dont buy lab grade or reagent grade...that is for chemistry and anastesiology (sp?) :laugh: . The stuff you'll want will have phosphourus tracers in it (so it will smell funny like butane or propane) and is not of suber high purity and is a lot cheaper.

Most decent 'Tuner' shops should be able to fill them as well.

Lunchbocks
11-22-2006, 06:34 PM
This thread should just stop. To the OP - you should NOT be messing with significant performance upgrades without being significantly more informed. I'm not trying to be a jerk about it but you don't have the sufficient background knowledge to be adding lots of power or maintaining a modified car. Think about it, if you cannot install it and don't know how it works, do you really think you should be putting it on your car? Just a bad idea man, I know a guy with a turbo Cav and it moves out decently but he knows his **** and he has run into issues with it that require moderately in depth troubleshooting stemming from thorough knowledge. Learn more about it or wait until you can buy a car that is quick from the factory.

04redmach1
11-22-2006, 08:50 PM
^^^^ agree.