PDA

View Full Version : P880-PRS or P980BT

Trey803
11-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I am getting one of the two for my B-day in 3 weeks and need help choosing. I was first attracted to the p880-prs b/c of the auto eq and 16 band equalizer but when i found out that the other one has that also and color screen, I become interested in the p980BT. I plan on using it with the sirius tuner if that makes any difference at all. Which one would yall recomend?

adam71
11-19-2006, 07:33 PM
From an audio stand point I would go with the 880. It has independent left and right 16 band EQs. The auto eq is worthless in my opinion. I've owned several Premier decks and will no longer use that function.

If a color screen is a must the 980BT wouldn't be a bad choice either. Its just that the 880 is a better unit sound wise. Especially if you wanted to go active.

Trey803
11-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Why do you think the auto eq is worthless? And what does purpose does the independent L/R equalizer have?

adam71
11-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Why do you think the auto eq is worthless? And what does purpose does the independent L/R equalizer have?

Most people (not just me) don't like the results of an auto eq setting. Just ask around this forum and you'll get the same answers. It just doesn't leave a good sounding curve. You're better off to set by ear or an RTA to start with.

The purpose of independent left and right EQ is so that you can set the left seperately from the right side. The right side of your is not the same as the left side of your car acoustically so this eq lets you adjust them independently.

danz24
11-19-2006, 09:32 PM
If auto Ta/eq is not that important you may just save money and go the 780, its has the colour screen you like but without the the bluetooth of the 9800bt. The 880 is a really nice unit though.

Trey803
11-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Sounds good but I do not think that i have heard enough SQ setups to tune by ear and may be challeneing for me.
What is an RTA?

theCybe
11-19-2006, 10:41 PM
If the color screen is important to you, get the BT - if you want what is in my opinion the sleekest, most functional headunit on the market under five hundred dollars, get the 880PRS.

danz24
11-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Sounds good but I do not think that i have heard enough SQ setups to tune by ear and may be challeneing for me.
What is an RTA?

Real time Analyzer, allows you to see the audio frequencies and the dips and peaks. You can then adjust EQ to make a flat response.
If it is for personal/casual use, I think you should just adjust the EQ to your liking and not worry much about his.

adam71
11-20-2006, 12:02 AM
What is an RTA?

Just like danz24 said. But you don't have to be competitor to benefit from an RTA. I demand the best sound out of my system whether I'm competing or not. A flat response is not really a GREAT sound as it will sound like there isn't enough bass and too much highs. What an RTA will do for you though is leave you with a good starting point in which to tweak it to exactly how you like your music.

kowboy
11-20-2006, 12:08 AM
I had the same dilemma a couple of months ago. I got the 980bt 'cause the color screen and the bluetooth is the ****! The 880 looks **** good, but the 980bt is the latest and greatest from pioneer. - just my two cents.

adam71
11-20-2006, 12:09 AM
I had the same dilemma a couple of months ago. I got the 980bt 'cause the color screen and the bluetooth is the ****! The 880 looks **** good, but the 980bt is the latest and greatest from pioneer. - just my two cents.

Exactly, just depends on what you're looking for in a deck.

sic_fx
11-20-2006, 12:59 AM
i messed with the auto eq on my 8600mp and i couldn't stand the way it sounded, it just sounded "off". i'd say screw the pretty screen, get the 880PRS.

lamont1
11-20-2006, 01:13 PM
this is a good thread right here man,the answers that was gave are easy to understand and came straight to the point.good job people ,i give this topic a thumbs upppp