PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinons for a next car.

Silver
11-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Well its been 3 years with the bird and I am finally cashed out with it. It was a great car I had no problems but I'm ready for a change.

There are so many cars out there I want right now but I need some opinions. Here are my choices...

-00 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
-05 Pontiac GTO
-Camaro Z28
-Trans Am

-Ford Explorer (V8)
-Ford Expedition
-Chevy Tahoe
-Yukon Denali

What should be narrowed down? Who owns these cars? Whats your opinion on these.

Any car I get it will be blown or turbo'ed and bottom end forged. This includes re-build of the motor. Yes the SUV's also :). I'm just nuts like that.

Which one to choose? Money is not a option really because I've saved alot and put alot of time into that.:greedy:

pitbull12888
11-19-2006, 03:24 PM
if your goin to fix up the engine.. get the mustang..

pitbull12888
or the camaro but im a ford man myself.... camaro's can be fast as hell to though with a good engine.. so either 1 of them

heyman421
Does the new gto use a 350 block?

if so i'd get that

nothing's standing out, tho

MikeyB
11-19-2006, 03:26 PM
OMG selling the bird?!?!?!?! Oh well I wanna sell mine to.......hey do you ever drive through Flint, by Kettering University. I thought I saw you down there one time, thats where I go to school. Dont you have a silver bird with two flowmasters in the back?

davidfre21
11-19-2006, 03:30 PM
trans am, car is just beautiful. I plan on gettin one myself.

Run an STS setup with a built bottom end, and fly :D

heyman421
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
You'll be able to pass anything but a gas station.

pitbull12888
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
trans am, car is just beautiful. I plan on gettin one myself.

Run an STS setup with a built bottom end, and fly :D

i always wanted a smokey and the bandit 1...they sold 1 on ebay that needed nothing but the interior restored and a paint job for $400!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

heyman421
11-19-2006, 03:33 PM
eww, wasn't that when they went to the small turbo engines?

pitbull12888
11-19-2006, 03:34 PM
this 1 had the 428 or w/e it is

pitbull12888
11-19-2006, 03:35 PM
i dont think its a 428 but the cubic in. is around there

Silver
11-19-2006, 04:10 PM
OMG selling the bird?!?!?!?! Oh well I wanna sell mine to.......hey do you ever drive through Flint, by Kettering University. I thought I saw you down there one time, thats where I go to school. Dont you have a silver bird with two flowmasters in the back?

Possibly. I take 75 north to Bay City every sunday. Also south every Thursday. I stopped in Flint once on my way up..

Yeah I have two flowmasters. The easiest way to tell my birds from other is this..

http://myspace-087.vo.llnwd.net/00921/78/00/921250087_l.jpg

P.S. Don't ever wash your bird with a Powerwasher with 10hp.

:D

P.S. #2! Have you ever seen PHAT running around?

http://phatbrd.zoto.com/img/800x600x1/90285407e691a6b0e11103c9908f978b-.jpg

Sick car.

Silver
11-19-2006, 04:11 PM
You'll be able to pass anything but a gas station.

13mi/ gal already....

not really losing anything there.

Silver
11-19-2006, 04:17 PM
or the camaro but im a ford man myself.... camaro's can be fast as hell to though with a good engine.. so either 1 of them

If I get a camaro it will be swapped with zo6 heads and cammed.

If I get a Cobra I'm going Bussani exhaust, KB 2.2L, and a 75shot along with internal upgrades. I was also thinking of a Twin Turbo route, but that is getting a little crazy there.

If the car I had wasn't rusting on the rocker panels and having minor knicks on the bumpers I would be doing a 4.6L DOHC with a KB and a cam. But the car is clean as hell. There are NO scratches on metal on this car, just the rocker panels rusting.. Only the bumpers are nicked. When it is up for sale I'm selling 3000firm.

pitbull12888
11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
ive seen some thunderbirds with some badas* engines!!! u woulnt believe

Silver
11-19-2006, 04:21 PM
www.tccoa.com

one guy there is running a 10.6..

that is fast.

RJ Sclafani
11-19-2006, 04:28 PM
I say get the ever so elegant Lincoln Mark VII. It's got a 5.0 HO mustang engine, luxary interior, yet still sporty. It comes with BBS wheels stock, and almost every mustang part will work on it. So there you go, the Rich Mans Mustang...:greedy:

brock86gn
11-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Ls1/2 FTW! I love the look of ws6 trans ams's the ls1 and ls2 in the gto are great platforms to begine with.

Lunchbocks
11-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Does the new gto use a 350 block?

if so i'd get that

nothing's standing out, tho

Nope, hasn't been a 350 around in quite some time. The GTO at its introduction was a 5.7 LS1 and then it was replaced with the 6.0 LS2

As for deciding on the vehicles... if its going to be a Cobra I'd rather go with the 03-04, F-bodies are always around as a choice and they do provide a good bang for the buck, a GTO is most easily equated to a nicer more luxurious feeling f-body as far as interior ammenities and whatnot.

In the SUV category, I wouldn't bother with the Explorer or Expedition because the Tahoe and Denali just have so much more to offer. Interior quality is better IMO and the powertrain is definitely a step up with more modability too.

bri487
11-19-2006, 05:22 PM
consider which cars are going to be under warranty and which ones arent. if you get a suv, dont touch the motor, its pointless unless you are pulling something. i am a mustang freak, had a 98 cobra a few years back. it was hopped up quite a bit and was pretty darn fast, too fast in fact, but what i am getting at, is after having a truck i could never go back to a 2 door coupe. no room, and it ***** when having other people with you. you wont want to take it on long trips, they just arent practical. i would be much happier in a suv, but that is a decision you have to make.

bri487
11-19-2006, 05:29 PM
In the SUV category, I wouldn't bother with the Explorer or Expedition because the Tahoe and Denali just have so much more to offer. Interior quality is better IMO and the powertrain is definitely a step up with more modability too.

i will never buy another GM again. powertrain isnt half of what the fords are quality wise. i dont know a single person with a tahoe/silverado that is thoroughly happy with it (given they know what a good car is). i, as well as many others have had numerous steering problems, tranny problems, and rear diff problems. both front axle shafts were bad in the front end at 3k miles and they truck hadnt even been in 4wd. i talked to a friend last night, his 04 silverado's steering box is bad. turn the wheel and it kept going straight. got it back from the dealer, after service, turns right ok, turn to the left and it keeps going straight. his tranny slips every now and then, and sometimes the motor just feel flat. stick your foot in it and the power just isnt there. (and got top notch service, married to the owners daughter). GMs collapsible steering shaft in the full size trucks/suv's is a terrible design. it is the intermediate shaft that is designed to collapse on impact so the wheel doesnt come your way. the thing dries up due to leaking grease and then it starts knocking, eventually going to wear parts out because its metal against metal.

MikeyB
11-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Possibly. I take 75 north to Bay City every sunday. Also south every Thursday. I stopped in Flint once on my way up..

Yeah I have two flowmasters. The easiest way to tell my birds from other is this..

http://myspace-087.vo.llnwd.net/00921/78/00/921250087_l.jpg

P.S. Don't ever wash your bird with a Powerwasher with 10hp.

:D

P.S. #2! Have you ever seen PHAT running around?

http://phatbrd.zoto.com/img/800x600x1/90285407e691a6b0e11103c9908f978b-.jpg

Sick car.

Yeah I for sure saw you a while ago, I was gonna pm you on here but I never did. I remember the flowmasters as you drove by, it was right at the corner of Chevrolet Ave and Third Street. Never seen that car around before though, but I sure would like too. :eek:

heyman421
11-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Nope, hasn't been a 350 around in quite some time. The GTO at its introduction was a 5.7 LS1 and then it was replaced with the 6.0 LS2

As for deciding on the vehicles... if its going to be a Cobra I'd rather go with the 03-04, F-bodies are always around as a choice and they do provide a good bang for the buck, a GTO is most easily equated to a nicer more luxurious feeling f-body as far as interior ammenities and whatnot.

still the same block, sans improved oil and coolant passages, bigger bore, and of course being aluminum

i'd get the gto, based on that alone

i don't know about the bigger bore, but the 5.7 bored aluminum blocks will stand up to 1000's of horsies of abuse

MikeyB
11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Oh yeah and for my vote I saw GTO with the LS2, my buddy just got one a week ago, he showed it to me last night. It was silver with the 5.7, tinted, ooooohhh soooo sweeet.

jacobcopeland87
11-20-2006, 09:37 AM
LS1 F-body. Best bang for your buck and do you realize how well they take to a nice turbo setup?

Slap on your turbo, build the trans, and drop a 12 bolt in it and you're cooking.

And you should still be getting good gas mileage too. (for an 11 second car)

bri487
11-20-2006, 12:33 PM
LS1 F-body. Best bang for your buck and do you realize how well they take to a nice turbo setup?

Slap on your turbo, build the trans, and drop a 12 bolt in it and you're cooking.

And you should still be getting good gas mileage too. (for an 11 second car)

if i were to swap a rear end, i wouldnt go 12 bolt.

bigbangtheory
11-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Sad to see the Bird go, but I know how you feel on the gas. Reason alone why I got rid of mine. Then again I had a supercharger on the 4.6l. Anyway, out of the cars you listed, I would do the SVT Stang! That would be sweet!

If not that, then the Gto would be nice as well. Just not much into Chevys anymore. Good luck on it.

Also that is someone else's bird in the one pic right? Just wondering, cause if mine looked like that, I wouldnt get rid of it.

Silver
11-23-2006, 10:14 PM
The Silver one is mine, the Pewter one is a fellow Michigan members.

Another few cars added to the list.

- Mercury Marauder
- Lincoln LS

man I have no idea what I want, im struck between a car and suv and luxury.

diamondfan
12-09-2006, 05:17 PM
not flaming but there was no cobra in 00
except for the "R":D

and since i just happen to sell parts for mustangs, if you get one let me know i'll give ya a discount.;)

2000Gator
12-14-2006, 12:23 AM
i'd go for the svt, a buddy of mine just bought his its an 02 cobra, triple black with upgraded pulley chip exhaust and some head work, pushing 450hp easy. Get a new blower and you'll be set especially with the kb, talk about torque. no turbo setup could touch it off the line. I crashed my 94gt vert and it had a rebuilt 306 (5.0) ran a 12.5 at the track, now i have a lincoln navigator which is all luxury, Its a toss up its nice to have a fast car and a nice suv at the same time (Navigator has a 5.4l by the way....some potential