PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Type-R - Let Down By It

chartman18
11-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Well, I finally got around to putting my Type-R in a single 12" custom 2.5cu.ft. at 32hz box with a Hifonics BXi 1606D amplifier. It sounds great with quality...but thats it. I was let down by the bass. I had to turn it up to 25-30 out of 45 on my volume to achieve where my 2 P1's were almost at with the P1's maxed out on gains and such. Im thinking about getting another Type-R or just a SPL subwoofer for bass. I have all the quality I want, now I just think I want bass. The Type-R I have now is firing into the cabin, seats down, whole car Dynamat'd, and when I get outside to test the bass/loudness, I was let down compared to the P1's I had. I could actually hear the P1's bass outside the car. I know I sound like a noob praising the P1's, but Im not praising that piece of **** (P1's). I just expected to have alot of bass too. So I guess some people were right about it being a Hype-R. And again, Im not bashing the Type-R, I love it for the quality and such, but I just cant help think if it will be better in a sealed box, bc the P1's were in a sealed, 1.25 enclosure each woofer, and it wanged with settings maxed (didnt care for them, so I maxed the gains) and each only puts out 300 watts max. This Type-R is powered by a amp that puts out around 900-1100 watts RMS i think, 2-ohms.

Does anyone think Ill get more bass with a sealed enclosure? If so, Ill do that till I get another subwoofer, probably a 10-12 inch SPL woofer. Whats your opinions?

tommyk90
11-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Doubt you are getting that kind of power at 2 ohms. In most circumstances you would be lucky to get that kind of power at 1 ohm out of that amp in a normal setting.

My first advice to you would be to try a different box. And get a dual 2 ohm sub and wire the amp down to 1 ohm.

j3bus2k3
11-18-2006, 12:52 AM
Well, I finally got around to putting my Type-R in a single 12" custom 2.5cu.ft. at 32hz box with a Hifonics BXi 1606D amplifier. It sounds great with quality...but thats it. I was let down by the bass. I had to turn it up to 25-30 out of 45 on my volume to achieve where my 2 P1's were almost at with the P1's maxed out on gains and such. Im thinking about getting another Type-R or just a SPL subwoofer for bass. I have all the quality I want, now I just think I want bass. The Type-R I have now is firing into the cabin, seats down, whole car Dynamat'd, and when I get outside to test the bass/loudness, I was let down compared to the P1's I had. I could actually hear the P1's bass outside the car. I know I sound like a noob praising the P1's, but Im not praising that piece of **** (P1's). I just expected to have alot of bass too. So I guess some people were right about it being a Hype-R. And again, Im not bashing the Type-R, I love it for the quality and such, but I just cant help think if it will be better in a sealed box, bc the P1's were in a sealed, 1.25 enclosure each woofer, and it wanged with settings maxed (didnt care for them, so I maxed the gains) and each only puts out 300 watts max. This Type-R is powered by a amp that puts out around 900-1100 watts RMS i think, 2-ohms.

Does anyone think Ill get more bass with a sealed enclosure? If so, Ill do that till I get another subwoofer, probably a 10-12 inch SPL woofer. Whats your opinions?

So you went from 2 sub, to 1 sub and expected to be in awe? Yo sir, expected wayy too much. Check your wiring on the jumpers and make sure your gains are optimal? Did you change any settings on the headunit? Any number of factors could explain why you dont think htere is enough bass...

heyman421
11-18-2006, 12:56 AM
It's the hifonics.

Those amps are mushy as hell, nobody wants to believe me.

I don't know if hifonics used to be decent or whatever, but my bxi2006d was absolute dogshit.

I could just crank the gain, HOPING AND PRAYING for something to catch fire, blow up, cook, but for god's sake be loud for a second 1st, but the thing didn't even pull my idle voltage below 14.7.......... and i have a low idle-ampere alternator.

chartman18
11-18-2006, 12:58 AM
So you went from 2 sub, to 1 sub and expected to be in awe? Yo sir, expected wayy too much. Check your wiring on the jumpers and make sure your gains are optimal? Did you change any settings on the headunit? Any number of factors could explain why you dont think htere is enough bass...

Well, the P1's, what can I say, they were ****** beginners subs at 150 RMS watts each, of course I was going to expect something amazing with a single subwoofer thats putting out alot more RMS than 2 P1's.

My friend says he double-checked to make sure the sub was wired in 2-ohms, and everything is tip-top.

Anybody else? Hmm.

EDIT: I just realized this was in the speakers forum....shoot..I meant the subwoofers.

heyman421
11-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Does your voltage even drop? Do your lights dim?

Anything that might make you think that amp is putting out any kind of serious power?

chartman18
11-18-2006, 01:06 AM
I dont really know if my volts drop when the car is on, I havent checked that. (Too cold outside) And my lights do dim slightly when its on when I drive.

j3bus2k3
11-18-2006, 01:10 AM
I dont mean to knock your friend but it would be very easy to confuse wiring if he didn't know what he was doing or didn't reference the manual...that would be a night and day difference...

dleccord
11-18-2006, 01:16 AM
what box were those p1s in?

chartman18
11-18-2006, 01:18 AM
EDIT: My bad, you said P1's. They were in a dual 12" sealed, 1.25cu.ft. each. It gave me the kind of bass I wanted where people hear me coming down the street. With my Type-R, I cant really get that at all.

dleccord
11-18-2006, 01:20 AM
where's your gains now? all the way up?

chartman18
11-18-2006, 01:30 AM
I dont mean to knock your friend but it would be very easy to confuse wiring if he didn't know what he was doing or didn't reference the manual...that would be a night and day difference...

He actually would most likely be the one to read a manual first over me. So, even though I trust him, I did the wiring on the amp, and we both double-checked everything before starting it. Its all hooked up right. Just the subwoofer...I dont know, seems bland. Of course, people on here hype it up and got me into buying one. Any recommendations on box designs, ported/sealed? Another subwoofer mainly that puts out more bass/loudness?

chartman18
11-18-2006, 01:31 AM
where's your gains now? all the way up?

The Hifonics amp's gain, is at 50%.
Why do you ask?

azimuth
11-18-2006, 01:37 AM
the type r's may be hyped a little much, but they are a decent sub. 2 sealed bounce quarters off my roof, so they have a little wang. they are definitely not the loudest thing out there, but i have been fairly satisfied. something is wrong somewhere. i'd check the power and ground and make sure you have the amped powered sufficiently. what guage running to the amp?

dleccord
11-18-2006, 01:38 AM
The Hifonics amp's gain, is at 50%.
Why do you ask?

you said your P1s were all the way up right?

chartman18
11-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Yeah. They (P1's) were gained all the way up (didnt know about anything, they were my first subs/package bass deal) so it was dying/amp was too after 6 months.

chartman18
11-18-2006, 01:46 AM
the type r's may be hyped a little much, but they are a decent sub. 2 sealed bounce quarters off my roof, so they have a little wang. they are definitely not the loudest thing out there, but i have been fairly satisfied. something is wrong somewhere. i'd check the power and ground and make sure you have the amped powered sufficiently. what guage running to the amp?

Everything is in working order. Its just hyped up. Probably because the idea of 700+ watts on a single sub SHOULD be better than 2 subs with no more than 400 watts max (P1's) but the type-r seems (to me) like its not as 'bassy'. It definitely sounds good and all, dont get me wrong. I was just expecting serious bass outside the car..

jiggy2dmax
11-18-2006, 01:49 AM
you said your P1s were all the way up right?

I would assume that it was a different amp since those P1 woulda fried with the gain at full tilt and him blasting it. I would say check your HU settings, then your amp settings and lastly try a different box. I think the reason the P1's may have been louder was because your were pushing them to distortion while now the Type R is actually playing clean bass and handling the power well. For example, have you ever noticed that if you swap out some factory speakers, the aftermarket ones seem less louder? Its that that they are less louder but the distortion is no longer their.

chartman18
11-18-2006, 01:55 AM
I would assume that it was a different amp since those P1 woulda fried with the gain at full tilt and him blasting it. I would say check your HU settings, then your amp settings and lastly try a different box. I think the reason the P1's may have been louder was because your were pushing them to distortion while now the Type R is actually playing clean bass and handling the power well. For example, have you ever noticed that if you swap out some factory speakers, the aftermarket ones seem less louder? Its that that they are less louder but the distortion is no longer their.

Yeah, the P1's were running off a Rockford P325.1 amp.

Can anyone tell me if the subsonic, gain, and frequency on my amp is good? PLEASE.

If so, then is it ok to adjust the bass, treble, etc on the head unit after or will that hurt it?

As for distortion, thats true.

mickis247
11-18-2006, 01:57 AM
If you dynamat the whole car you cant expect too much bass to heard outside the car

j3bus2k3
11-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Yeah, the P1's were running off a Rockford P325.1 amp.

Can anyone tell me if the subsonic, gain, and frequency on my amp is good? PLEASE.

If so, then is it ok to adjust the bass, treble, etc on the head unit after or will that hurt it?

As for distortion, thats true.

What are they set at? Subsonic should be set somewhere in the range of 10hz below tuning. Gain depends on ohm load and power output of amp. and Frequency? I'm assuming you mean low-pass...from 60-80 would be ideal

tommyk90
11-18-2006, 02:16 AM
I still say that a different style box may be in order.

And you should get a dual 2 ohm version and run the amp at 1 ohm.

Big Dee
11-18-2006, 02:58 AM
You should have never expected the R to be a big improvement over the P1s.

Let's look at the numbers for a sec.

Two P1s with 300 watts each would be as loud as a single Type-R with about 1200 watts. Just going by the numbers the Type-R should be about 2 dBs or so lower than the P1s at around 700 watts.

edit- Just saw that you were running 300 watts total to the P1s.. in that case the R should be very slightly louder, but almost unnoticeable.

heyman421
11-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Dayum, big dee, quit hatin'

Big Dee
11-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Dayum, big dee, quit hatin'

:up2somet: :D

edited. I gave the crown to the Type-Rs by a hair.

AJ▓06
11-18-2006, 03:36 AM
EDIT: My bad, you said P1's. They were in a dual 12" sealed, 1.25cu.ft. each. It gave me the kind of bass I wanted where people hear me coming down the street. With my Type-R, I cant really get that at all.

I love my Type R system... :naughty: U can hear it a lot louder inside, thats what matters to me.. *** outside, ppl will mess with my car. :eek:

chartman18
11-18-2006, 04:14 AM
You know what, your right AJ. I have to agree with that now kind of. I just guess Im an attention ***** and want people to know/feel Im coming their way, lol. I still kinda want more bass somewhat. I honestly dont feel like making a another box for my Type-R unless I have another sub, so then I'd just make a new sub box for both the subs.

Ok, someone said the Subsonic should be around 10hz below my box? That'd make it in the 20-25hz range then correct? Ok, its set around there currently.

And for Low-Pass frequency, the same person says the range should be around 6-80. I believe Im around 120hz currently. I guess I should turn that down towards 80.

As for gain, the ohm is 2-ohms, and the output at RMS listed is 1,100, but I really dont know what its really putting out. I was reading the gain setting pinned thread before I set this up, and it supposedly said at 1100 watts, it should be about 46.9 volts. Any ideas?

Anybody have any more tips/suggestions/help?

Thanks guys.

PS: Why did a couple people tell me to rebuild another box, when the majority of fellas on here recommended 2.5 at 32 hz? Shouldnt that mean its the best at that?

SPL_Lancer
11-18-2006, 06:50 AM
I dont know about 2.5 @ 32Hz, I have never tryed it. But I do know that 1.5 @ 30-35Hz sounds good, and goes qute loud.

chartman18
11-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Is there any way the mods or something can remove this thread and put it in the Subwoofers category forum threads? lol, I cant believe I messed up on that and its so weird in the speaker category.

duckfart
11-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I have never heard a P1 but I used to have a P3 12' with 750rms running into it. I then replaced it with a type R 12' in the same ported box and with the same power and the Type R was louder to my ears.

CrEaTrE
11-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I dont know about 2.5 @ 32Hz, I have never tryed it. But I do know that 1.5 @ 30-35Hz sounds good, and goes qute loud.

2.5 @ 32hz is perfect, its not the box unless there is a leak or something.

chartman18
11-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Yeah, theres definitely no leaks in my box. Me and a buddy made sure the screws, glue, and caulk to in the right spots and such.

I guess its just me and my high expectations. I shouldnt have done that, but its just the RMS wattage compared to the P1's, make it seem like its going to wang much harder. Its definitely sounding more clear/quality than the P1's, thats for sure, and it hits harder/louder, but I just wanted a teeeny weeeny more bass, lol. A second Type-R should fix that correct? With the same amplifier powering both Type-R's?

What kind of box would be perfect, but not too large for 2 Type-Rs, Bxi 1606D amplifier powering them, in a kinda-ok-sized trunk? Max heighth is like, 14-15 inches, width is like no more than 34-35 inches, and the depth is like no more than 18 ish inches? I didnt really see any in the Box Plans thread.

PS: As for creatre above me, I dont see how he can how 1 ohms, on 2 4-ohm subwoofers? I thought it was only 2 ohms max.

T3mpest
11-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Your are being let down becuase your a total basshead. Your first setup took 2 low end subs and maxed the gain out on an amp. You were pushing quite a bit more power out of that older amp than you think you were. RMS only refers to a NONCLIPPED signal, you were probably putting out 1.5x that, while pushing those subs to their limits. Sure it sounded like crap, but I'd bet it did get quite loud for what it was, even if 20% of it was distortion, which also adds volume! Try tuning your box higher, if you don't care about musicality it will at least be louder.

chartman18
11-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Hmm, your right. I dont know if I feel like building a new box to 'tune' it higher for more loudness, just built this one, so Ill have to stick with it until I get another Type-R, then Ill build a dual 12" subwoofer ported box. Whats a good box in cu.ft. and hz for a dual Type-R? The current box I have now is 2.5cu.ft., and it pretty much almost takes up my whole trunk, it can go back at least 3-4 more inches, but thats it, and the sides, about 2-3 inches. Heighth is 14-15 inches max.

xluben
11-18-2006, 08:24 PM
how bout you post some pics?

and try setting your gains properly?

and anyone who wants to be loud outside their car :ban:

chartman18
11-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Haha nice about the ban thing. I just said earlier that the dudes right about it not being loud on the outside, I agree with that now.

As for pics, I can take pics of the amplifier settings/tuning sometime for you guys.

As for setting my gains properly, I have a DMM, and its really confusing, so Im working on that buddy.

xluben
11-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Haha nice about the ban thing. I just said earlier that the dudes right about it not being loud on the outside, I agree with that now.

As for pics, I can take pics of the amplifier settings/tuning sometime for you guys.

As for setting my gains properly, I have a DMM, and its really confusing, so Im working on that buddy.

yeah, i'm usually not too critical. if i don't like someone i just don't post.

but you just came off as kind of a noob talking about maxed gains and being loud outside the car.

i'd start by setting the gains correctly and then seeing how it sounds.

just remember:

all HU settings at 0
HU volume about 3/4 up (and never turn it past the volume you set the gains to)
bass boost on amp at 0
subsonic filter and low pass filter as mentioned before (20-25Hz and 60-80Hz)

then set your gains (go for a voltage around 45V AC) using a 40Hz (or so) tone.

i suggest you go for the -3dB level.

what you really should have done is purchased the D2 version of the type r and wire to 1 ohm.

same price, same amp and you get more power :rolleyes:

xtremekustomz
11-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Someone may have already said this but I didn't feel like reading every post. When you say P1 are you referring to Rockford Fosgate? If so basically all they are is PA speakers. There is definately a quality difference. They produce bass differently than a high quality woofer. High quality woofers are designed to give a smooth bass response. The "cheap" woofers tend to have peaks at higher bass frequencies and those are the frequencies that can really be heard outside of a vehicle. And as for your box, it seems a little big for a Type R if you ask me. I would have figured around a 2. I had some of the old ones and I think they recommended porting at 2 cu ft. I really don't like the sound of woofers in vented boxes.

Another thing, just as xluben said, get your gains set right. The rule of thumb is head unit at 3/4 volume before distortion starts to play a role in sound. Of cours I can go to full volume on mine and have no breakup in the sound :) Also don't use loud buttons and things of that nature. They were meant to be used with low volume levels.

SHiZNiLTi
11-19-2006, 12:10 AM
chartman18, too bad you don't live by me.

I got lucky with my setup, it travels hella far and sounds amazing outside of the vehicle.

At least 10-25 people have made crazy comments like "OMG you were shaking the windows of my house when you pulled up", and "wow I've never heard anything like that before", and my favorite "Holy shi† you were shaking my mirrors and I was 2 cars in fornt of you!"

I say get another sub and try to build a box similar to mine...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1512153&postcount=390

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8439/backcenter2fp0.jpg

azimuth
11-19-2006, 12:13 AM
chartman18, too bad you don't live by me.

I got lucky with my setup, it travels hella far and sounds amazing outside of the vehicle.

At least 10-25 people have made crazy comments like "OMG you were shaking the windows of my house when you pulled up", and "wow I've never heard anything like that before", and my favorite "Holy shić you were shaking my mirrors and I was 2 cars in fornt of you!"

I say get another sub and try to build a box similar to mine...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1512153&postcount=390

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8439/backcenter2fp0.jpg

nice amp. i'd be kinda afraid to have it mounted for every thief to see it though. nice looking box as well.

SHiZNiLTi
11-19-2006, 12:20 AM
nice amp. i'd be kinda afraid to have it mounted for every thief to see it though. nice looking box as well.

Thanks!

But good luck with theives being able to see it I have (2) layers of 5% limo tint and the factory privacy glass. No way they can see it even with a flashlight, I've tried. Plus I've epoxied all (4) of the double nutted bolts that hold the amp to the mdf plate that has (6) bolt's attached to the steel tubing which is attached to the frame of the truck :D

azimuth
11-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks!

But good luck with theives being able to see it I have (2) layers of 5% limo tint and the factory privacy glass. No way they can see it even with a flashlight, I've tried. Plus I've epoxied all (4) of the double nutted bolts that hold the amp to the mdf plate that has (6) bolt's attached to the steel tubing which is attached to the frame of the truck :D

limo tint is the ****.

headless
11-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Distortion made the other speakers sound louder to the ear, is my guess. Clipped signals are horrific., temp3st called it imo.

chartman18
11-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Hey, thanks all for the advice. I know all about keeping the H.U. at 0, bass boost off, etc and such. All I needed to know was the Gain setting and where that should be set at. I just dont know how to work a DMM well lol. I will definitely be getting another subwoofer and another custom box, one that fits my trunk, but also to caraudio fans specs and such. Any ideas for a box? I didnt see much that would fit in my trunk on the Box Plans thread.

heyman421
11-19-2006, 05:16 AM
i'm gonna be in kent tomorrow working on my car, i can bring my o-scope with me if you wanna hit me up tomorrow, send me a pm

Prowler573
11-19-2006, 05:27 AM

A) Why is being heard outside the car (whereas most people see fit to operate their motor vehicles from within the interior of said vehicles...) such a critical point? Just wondering.
B) Sealed enclosures aren't meant for SPL applications :fyi:

Well, the P1's, what can I say, they were ****** beginners subs at 150 RMS watts each, of course I was going to expect something amazing with a single subwoofer thats putting out alot more RMS than 2 P1's.
:fyi: Subs and speakers do not "put out" any amount of wattage, RMS or otherwise. They accept wattage from whatever source of amplification is powering them. The amp(s) "put out" wattage....not the drivers they are amplifying.

My friend says he double-checked to make sure the sub was wired in 2-ohms, and everything is tip-top.
Okay.

Anybody else? Hmm.

EDIT: I just realized this was in the speakers forum....shoot..I meant the subwoofers.
It happens.

See above.

If you dynamat the whole car you cant expect too much bass to heard outside the car
Again, see above.
Why is being heard outside so important to some folks?

PS: As for creatre above me, I dont see how he can how 1 ohms, on 2 4-ohm subwoofers? I thought it was only 2 ohms max.
If the two subwoofers in question are of the single voice coil variety he can't. If they are of the dual voice coil variety then to achieve a nominal 1 Ohm final load he would wire them like so:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/infolib/carlib/subs/2_4ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

chartman18
11-19-2006, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I thought we were past the point where I said I dont care if Im not heard outside of the car anymore, lol.

But thanks for clearing up a few things.

M@nJo
11-19-2006, 07:45 AM

please explain. i thought it would be the other way around

luvinthebass
11-19-2006, 08:20 AM
please explain. i thought it would be the other way around

dampening slows down the sound waves makin it less to be heard outside i guess...:ponder:

SHiZNiLTi
11-19-2006, 06:30 PM
With Dynamting my rear hatch, sides and roof with 3 trunk made the bass sound much tighter from the outside of the vehicle. No rattles heard from outside of the vehicle is a big positive IMO. Think of the windows as a port and the truck as the box. It's like using 1" mdf box to a 3/4 mdf box in a hi-spl setup.

Astyl
11-19-2006, 06:35 PM
So you expected it to be this great wonderful thing?

Do you even know what brought on the Type R Boner? It was TCAB

A Type R and a TCAB are meant to go together, if you have a type R in a TCAB enclosure, then actually expect something from them and for it to be **** loud

if you just have a type R, and throw it in some ol random box , then its just like any other woofer out there

TCAB + Type R's like Yin and Yang man, there meant to be together, if your not running both, dont expect much

chartman18
11-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Whats a TCAB?

Bumpin97Jeep
11-19-2006, 08:11 PM
box...

chartman18
11-19-2006, 08:21 PM
And how does one make one? Links to one?

jiggy2dmax
11-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I see this thread going downhill......

Prowler573
11-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Whats a TCAB?
Here we go! :hide:

I see this thread going downhill......
:word:

bcleachd
11-19-2006, 10:21 PM
yea my type-r is a let down too it bangs dont get me wrong but its just too weak to be in a big body car.

so thats why i'm going bck to 15'' subs like say a '':naughty: STROKER''

headless
11-20-2006, 01:28 AM
TCAB is a company which imo makes totaly unremarkable boxes made of inferior materials that are way overpriced :)

T3mpest
11-20-2006, 04:34 AM
So you expected it to be this great wonderful thing?

Do you even know what brought on the Type R Boner? It was TCAB

A Type R and a TCAB are meant to go together, if you have a type R in a TCAB enclosure, then actually expect something from them and for it to be **** loud

if you just have a type R, and throw it in some ol random box , then its just like any other woofer out there

TCAB + Type R's like Yin and Yang man, there meant to be together, if your not running both, dont expect much

Your joking,right? TCAB boxes were nothing spectacular. There is no magic trick to building a ported box and his werent' that great, sorry. People who purchased them have attested to that.

DejaWiz
11-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Why not just build a vented box according to the recommended parameters out of the Type-R manual?

Outer Dimensions: 18" x 13.5" x 16.5"
Vent: 12" x 1.25" x 22.75"
Gross Internal Volume: 1.7 cf

Might be worth a shot.

chartman18
11-21-2006, 05:00 AM
Any pictures/box plan of that dimensions for a single Type-R?

luvinthebass
11-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Why not just build a vented box according to the recommended parameters out of the Type-R manual?

Outer Dimensions: 18" x 13.5" x 16.5"
Vent: 12" x 1.25" x 22.75"
Gross Internal Volume: 1.7 cf

Might be worth a shot.

exactly. that's what i would do if i was in this dilemma of his.

luvinthebass
11-21-2006, 05:04 AM
Any pictures/box plan of that dimensions for a single Type-R?

check your subs manual, usually they have box plans from least amount for good bass to best bass performance and check the Alpine website.

azimuth
11-21-2006, 05:06 AM
i said it twice. the type r's are upper middle class subs. i bounce quarters off the roof and that's sealed. a proper ported box would get loud. install is everything.:fyi:

chartman18
11-21-2006, 05:11 AM
I just dont know, its possibly either my hopes were set too high, or everyones prediciton/idea of a box at 2.5 cu.ft. at 32 hz is WAY overrated. At least in my opinion. I may just try to build a ported box, or maybe ALSO sealed if I have enough wood/cash, and see which out of the 3 box's I like best. But until then, Ill also save up for a another Type-R subwoofer.

AND: Is having the gain set at 50% bad, because I cant figure out for the life of me how to set the DMM and such. It doesnt sound distorted or clipped or anything of that nature at 50%. Will I be ok?

azimuth
11-21-2006, 05:20 AM
I just dont know, its possibly either my hopes were set too high, or everyones prediciton/idea of a box at 2.5 cu.ft. at 32 hz is WAY overrated. At least in my opinion. I may just try to build a ported box, or maybe ALSO sealed if I have enough wood/cash, and see which out of the 3 box's I like best. But until then, Ill also save up for a another Type-R subwoofer.

AND: Is having the gain set at 50% bad, because I cant figure out for the life of me how to set the DMM and such. It doesnt sound distorted or clipped or anything of that nature at 50%. Will I be ok?

i do all mine by ear. i run sealed though. ported is a little tougher. i also spend many hours tuning my system. it seems that i'll never be satisfied. my next project is 2 FI Q's sealed, and some better comps. i'm sure i'll find something wrong with those to. it's a never ending hobby. have fun.

dspencer24
11-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Your joking,right? TCAB boxes were nothing spectacular. There is no magic trick to building a ported box and his werent' that great, sorry. People who purchased them have attested to that.

x2

jiggy2dmax
11-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Personally I think your expectations were too high and that's why you were disappointed. Type R's are nice subs for the money, with a emaphasis on the latter part of the sentence. They can get loud with the right box as with many other subs. I'd say experiment with a few boxes, and if it doesn;t fit your need, sell it and find something that does. You could prolly get a L5/L7 for not to much more than than a Type R. Get a 12, port it, and it should get loud enough for you off 1500+watts. SQ will be acceptable in the right enclosure. Im sure there are other subs that fit you bill but I can only speak of the ones I have heard/used personally.