PDA

View Full Version : Box questions - Type R 15s

jluv
11-17-2006, 03:19 PM
I recently purchased two 15" Type Rs. I want to put them in a ported enclosure in the back of my Explorer. I have plenty of room. My goal is to get loud and reach the low notes without throwing sound quality completely out the window.

The speakers came with plans for an "optimum" ported enclosure. Should I trust Alpine and build exactly to those dimensions? Are they conservative? Would I be better off trusting a box builder/designer to build something different? I have no idea what frequency the recommended box is actually "tuned" to. Anyone know? Also, if I were trying to stick to the Alpine plans, what changes would I make when building for two speakers? Do I just double the width as if I were building two boxes, but then ditch the inner walls so to make one box? If so, what changes need to be made to the port? Does it double exactly to keep the same tuning? Are there any reasons (sonically) not to build two separate boxes with their own ports each?

I know it's a ton of questions, but I figured you guys would have some answers. Thanks in advance.

j3bus2k3
11-17-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm building an enclosure for a 94 Explorer using 2 15" Type-rs. Right now, the plan stands at a chambered ported box, 3.5ft^3 per driver with interchangeable ports with tunings of 32, 36, 40, 43 just to see how each performs...

SUB_URBAN
11-17-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm building an enclosure for a 94 Explorer using 2 15" Type-rs. Right now, the plan stands at a chambered ported box, 3.5ft^3 per driver with interchangeable ports with tunings of 32, 36, 40, 43 just to see how each performs...