PDA

View Full Version : About to install my first set of components.

iwanturmags
11-17-2006, 12:00 PM
They aren't here yet, and i've never actually seen what crossovers look like. What i'm wondering is how with an amp running to the 5.25"s how don't the tweeters blow, do the crossovers stop the tweeters from recieving the amps power, or how does that work exactly?

acold7dusta
11-17-2006, 12:13 PM
the crossovers split frequencies, not power. the tweeters get the same amount of power as the mids unless you attenuate them. the tweeters dont blow because they are made to handle the power...

Worlddre
11-17-2006, 12:17 PM
many component set crossovers have tweeter protection built in which is simply a fuse like that in a power wire rated to take a certain amount of current generally equal to the rated handling of the tweeter itself. usually looks like a light buld as you get close to the point of burning it.

hatemonger
11-17-2006, 12:17 PM
They aren't here yet, and i've never actually seen what crossovers look like. What i'm wondering is how with an amp running to the 5.25"s how don't the tweeters blow, do the crossovers stop the tweeters from recieving the amps power, or how does that work exactly?

your speaker wires from the amp run to the crossovers. the crossovers handle the rest.

T3mpest
11-17-2006, 07:27 PM
the crossovers split frequencies, not power. the tweeters get the same amount of power as the mids unless you attenuate them. the tweeters dont blow because they are made to handle the power...

Splitting frequency does split power, it depends on what's playing. A pure 300hz test tone will send no power to the tweeter. That's part of why passives soak up so power, especially near the crossover frequency, both tweet and mid needs lots of power near that frequency.

iwanturmags
11-18-2006, 05:42 PM
So my 5.25s are 40 rms, I don't need to add power because I have tweeters?

squeak9798
11-19-2006, 10:59 AM
So my 5.25s are 40 rms, I don't need to add power because I have tweeters?

"add power" :confused:

You just run the amplifier's outputs to the inputs of the crossover. Then connect the speakers to the crossovers. That's it. Nothing more.