PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter component attenuation

Grmanalishi
11-16-2006, 10:09 PM
I was wondering about the tweeter attenuation in component crossovers (ie. altering the dB level). This doesn't do anything to the tone of the sound coming out of the tweeter it just adjusts the power and intensity of the signal coming out of the tweeter.

I listened to some components in the store today and was changing the tweeter dB level of some components and all that changed was the power of the tweeter and not the tone. This is important to me because if I buy an expensive component like an Infinity Perfect6.1 with a metal tweeter and the tweeter turns out to be too piercing there's really no way for me to alter the harshness. BTW, that speaker sounds incredible. What are your thoughts about component tweeter adjustment?

Beat_Dominator
11-16-2006, 10:15 PM
It is very important as the output level of the tweeter needs to be adjusted depending on where that tweeter is mounted in the car.

azbass
11-16-2006, 10:17 PM
it should not do anything to the tone. it just lowers the output.

but i dont rely on passive crossovers to do my adjusting.

Clean Sound
11-17-2006, 12:21 PM
I have the Boston Pro 60's and experienced the same challenge. They have a metal tweeter but offer three attenuation settings; 0, -2 and -4. The factory setting was -2. After about 4 weeks of this I couldn't take it and had the attenuation lowered to -4 and have been much happier.

the727kid
11-17-2006, 12:26 PM
My Germs supposedly have a feature for this, I set them according to how I think it will sound best, but they are going in Tuesday so I can play with it more then.

jmanpc
11-17-2006, 12:29 PM
active ftw. i just reach back and adjust the level if i feel like i need to. or just hit up teh eq :D