PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Type S or Infinity Reference

hotshiz
11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
My ford explorer has 6X8 speakers, should I put the infinity references located here... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7730182&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03076&id=1140392384390 or the Alpine type S' that are 6", Ill buy an adpater plate

hatemonger
11-16-2006, 03:47 PM
My ford explorer has 6X8 speakers, should I put the infinity references located here... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7730182&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03076&id=1140392384390 or the Alpine type S' that are 6", Ill buy an adpater plate

i've always liked the sound of rounds better than oval.

Towncar
11-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Get the 6.5s.. Get the alpines, they sound much better than the infinitys which are crap imo. The alpines are much smoother.

hotshiz
11-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Do you think best buy would install the adapter plate

MBrock4u
11-17-2006, 05:35 AM
I would think that wouldn't be a problem. Hopefully they won't charge you any more money to do so. You should be much happier with the Alpines. They are nice.

Notwerk
11-17-2006, 05:43 AM
If you're comfortable with a jigsaw, it won't be too hard to make your own baffle out of MDF. It'll work better than the usual hard plastic plates and it'll likely be cheaper too.

Jared530
11-20-2006, 12:50 AM
do i really need t make a baffle out of MDF? if so what is the purpose?

Notwerk
11-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Well, you don't NEED to, but MDF would have lower resonance than a plastic plate. In theory, it ought to be better for mounting speakers to. They both do the same thing, provide a place to install a smaller speaker in a larger hole. Best Buy would probably do a plastic plate, and unless you're comfortable installing/fabricating, that might be the best option for you, I suppose.

Jared530
11-20-2006, 10:27 AM
yea fabricating it isnt the problem. The 6.5's drop in perfectely and i didnt kno if i added 1/2" of hight to the cleaers that the front panel would end up not fitting. so i was asking if it was necessary o not. BUt i IM'ed snoopdan aand he said that i dont need a baffle since the MTX ace comps are infinite baffle speakers

.::DuD3::.
11-20-2006, 07:12 PM
i dont really care for the alpines, i think the infinitys blended a little nicer than the alpines. but they weren't amped, so i dunno.

Buick3800power
11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
The hell with both. Get Polks.

oc_cheby
11-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Anyone thoughts or opinions on which of these sound cleaner and clearer for rock/country music. Im talking about the 6.5 coax's. Thanks.

DeViOuSoNe
11-21-2006, 05:43 PM
id say infinity

LinxuS
11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
My friend actually has both of these. References up front, Type S in back, both seeing about 45-50 RMS. I like the Type S better, but he likes the references better..

Notwerk
11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
yea fabricating it isnt the problem. The 6.5's drop in perfectely and i didnt kno if i added 1/2" of hight to the cleaers that the front panel would end up not fitting. so i was asking if it was necessary o not. BUt i IM'ed snoopdan aand he said that i dont need a baffle since the MTX ace comps are infinite baffle speakers

Well, it would be infinite baffle either way. The MDF baffle is just for fit, just something to mount the speaker to. Not sure if you understand what I mean, but what I'm saying is to take a .5 inch-thick piece of MDF, cut it to the 6x9 factory hole (basically, the outline of your factory speaker), drill appropriate holes to screw it into the factory speaker mount, and then install the 6.5 inch round into a hole cut in the middle of the MDF plate. The MDF, by nature of its density and material, absorbs some of the vibrations that would otherwise be directly transferred to the door metal, thereby reducing resonances, etc.

I always use baffles even when I don't have to just because it sounds better. Add some other sound-deadening to the rest of the door and it helps improve the sound quite a bit.

The problem with the plastic adaptor plates is that since they're made of hard plastic, they do nothing to cut down those vibrations. An MDF baffle isn't absolutly necessary, but they usually charge like $10+ for the stupid plastic baffles. That buys a whole lot of MDF. Elbow grease is free, so I just prefer to make my own out of MDF, which is superior to the plastic anyway.

Depending on the speaker and the mounting hole, etc., you can sometimes get away with making an MDF baffle that can fit a 6.5 inch mid and a component tweeter next to it. That would allow you to fit a component set in the 6x9 opening. Not always an option, but you can sometimes do it.

Just other fabrication options.

cognition
11-27-2006, 06:19 AM
I have 6.5" infinity reference components at the front and 6.5" alpine type s coaxials at the rear. They complement each other, as they sound almost the same. I had the choice of all-infinity or all-alpine speakers setup. But I opted to combine the two brands after hearing them. The infinity has silk tweets while the alpine has metal tweets. Combined and powered by a 4-channel amp, they produce nice music.