PDA

View Full Version : ? on sealing inside of box....

el rafa
11-16-2006, 11:13 AM
I hear people say use silicon or wood glue/titebond etc. Does it really matter?
I used wood glue to glue pieces together and to seal the corners. I had plenty of wood glue so I figure I just use it to seal as well. Is it pretty much preference or a good reason to use a certain one?

hatemonger
11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
it'll work. i use silicone because it's flexible, and is made to seal leaks. i also have plexi on my box and i can make it look cleaner.

revrider1
11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
I use wood glue to construct the box and then seal it with silicone after its all put together.

ramos
11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
I just make straight cuts and glue the panels together, don't need any sealant most of the time . If I do use anything to seal the joints , I use silicon :)

el rafa
11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
I had alot of glue laying around and didn't feel like going to HD(father inlaw is a carpenter, so he has a $hit load of glue. Didn't have any silicon though). I did smooth it out real good with my finger tip to make sure it got all the air out. It dried rock hard, so I figure it will work real well. Just making sure that this will work.

hatemonger
11-16-2006, 11:42 AM
I had alot of glue laying around and didn't feel like going to HD(father inlaw is a carpenter, so he has a $hit load of glue. Didn't have any silicon though). I did smooth it out real good with my finger tip to make sure it got all the air out. It dried rock hard, so I figure it will work real well. Just making sure that this will work.

it works. i don't like spreading glue with my finger. silicone comes off easier. i got some gorrilla glue on my hands once and it took a week to come off.

revrider1
11-16-2006, 11:42 AM
It should work fine as long as there is no big gaps

Big Dee
11-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I use silicon because it's made for that purpose, wood glue would probably work too.

iceteebone
11-16-2006, 03:48 PM
straight cuts avoid having to seal, but i still use silicone just for overkill