PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot will cut your board?

Buick3800power
11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I heard from a few people on here, that Home Depot will cut your MDF for you, for like 25 cents a cut? Is this true? I sure hope so, that'd be awesome.

Some people don't have a wood shop in their garage. :eek:

pwnt by pat
11-16-2006, 10:42 AM
their cuts are advertised accurate within 1/8th of an inch.

Buick3800power
11-16-2006, 10:43 AM
their cuts are advertised accurate within 1/8th of an inch.

That's not very good, is it? I just figured I'll hand the guy a sheet with all the specs, and let him go to work.

I'll go to a buddy's house, use his nail gun, and put the darn thing together.

stuckinok
11-16-2006, 10:44 AM
dont know the price but yes they will cut the wood for joo just go down to home depot

matt_martin87
11-16-2006, 11:03 AM
I have them cut each piece an inch too big on width and length. Then I use a friend's table saw to finish the job precisely. If you have a friend or know anyone with a table saw, I'd go that route.

Buick3800power
11-16-2006, 11:08 AM
That's the problem.......I don't know anyone with a table saw........

matt_martin87
11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
If you're in high school, ask the teacher in woodshop if you can come in after school and make some cuts. Or just let home depot do it if that sounds a bit extreme. Just hope they don't mess up.

Big Dee
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
They might do it for you, but sometimes they refuse to make a lot of small acurrate cuts for a project, and even if they do cut it pray that it's precise.

I just have them cut the sheet into small pieces so they will fit into my car, then cut the rest at home with my table saw.

j3bus2k3
11-16-2006, 12:45 PM
slip him a $10 and ask him yo do it up right?

azimuth
11-16-2006, 12:45 PM
They might do it for you, but sometimes they refuse to make a lot of small acurrate cuts for a project, and even if they do cut it pray that it's precise.

had them do it for me once, never again. i'd do what matt_martin87 suggested and see if you can buy a circular saw from a pawn shop.

maldecido33
11-16-2006, 12:59 PM
circular saws can be had cheaply, and good accurate cuts can be made with a circular saw and a straight edge

thats ur best bet, and it's always worked for me

1200 posts :)

Chevyaudio
11-16-2006, 01:01 PM
slip him a $10 and ask him yo do it up right?

Slip the manager a 20...and ask him if YOU can do it yourself :naughty:

Those pannel saws have a 1/8 blade curf. I highly doubt the average Home Depot employee is gonna account for curf.

Hence the sign above that pannel saw that says...

NO EXACT CUTS.

azimuth
11-16-2006, 01:04 PM

Those pannel saws have a 1/8 blade curf. I highly doubt the average Home Depot employee is gonna account for curf.

NO EXACT CUTS.

the cuts i had done weren't even square. looked like a trapezoid.:blackeye:

pitbull12888
11-16-2006, 01:05 PM

NO EXACT CUTS.

He's def. not goin to allow that to be done lol...wouldnt he be liable for injuries if u hurt urself since he let you use the companys saw?

Chevyaudio
11-16-2006, 01:05 PM
the cuts i had done weren't even square. looked like a trapezoid.:blackeye:

Also...those pannel saws arent straight most of the time.

BayAreaBass
11-16-2006, 01:07 PM
only have home deopt cut your wood if you plan on making a triangle box.
The one time I had them cut my wood the cuts were so un-square that i made an excuse to go out to my car then never came back

pitbull12888
11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
haha ... just go buy a battery operated circular saw to make the cuts.. its alot easier to handle then a plug in one when a being a noob at cutting wood...

grassroots
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
for the 4 years i've lived here in georgia, the home depot saw has always been out of order...

gl0ck
11-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I have had about 4 boxes cut their, just tell the nice gentlemen that if they arent good cuts you dont pay, and if they are not just leave.

stayTUNED
11-16-2006, 02:50 PM
home depot cust. service here is the worst. I waited for what felt like an hour for someone to help me. When I finally got help I made sure to watch when he punched in the pin number that powers the saw. Been there many times since and noone questions me when Im cutting :up2somet:
they have a nice saw but I just use it to cut 4'*8' sheets to fit in the ride.
get a circular saw and 2 c clamps and use a scrap piece of mdf with a straight egde as a guide, cant get any straighter than that.

gl0ck
11-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Im pretty sure the pin is the zip code?

NightHawkFG
11-16-2006, 04:07 PM
it wont be precise the they dont acount for thwe width of the blade and various other things. bascilly they just ball park the measurment and cut.

DaGh0st
11-16-2006, 04:12 PM
got a few boards cut at HD and lowes and they turned out pretty good. hell of alot faster/easier too.

skydeaner
11-16-2006, 04:13 PM
yup, it isn't very accurate, best do it yourself.

CRXican
11-16-2006, 04:20 PM
it would have been funnier if the thread title was

"Home Depot will cut your wood?"

iceteebone
11-16-2006, 04:24 PM
the guy at my home depot is very good at cutting mdf. his name is gary :)

bikinpunk
11-16-2006, 05:12 PM
The past 2 times I've gotten my 3/4" MDF from there I've had them cut it into the dimensions I needed. The last box had about 10 cuts-slot ports ftl. Still, I took the pieces home, set it up like I would build it and everything lined up pretty well. Didn't have any troubles with cut precisions. Just screwed and glued and was good to go. Some spots could've used one screw and it would've probably still been air tight. My advice, don't be in a rush. I've told the guys both times that I was in no hurry and they would attend to other customers while I walked around and waited. 30 minutes later, free cuts. They both said no charge. Patience FTW!

NightHawkFG
11-16-2006, 05:26 PM
The past 2 times I've gotten my 3/4" MDF from there I've had them cut it into the dimensions I needed. The last box had about 10 cuts-slot ports ftl. Still, I took the pieces home, set it up like I would build it and everything lined up pretty well. Didn't have any troubles with cut precisions. Just screwed and glued and was good to go. Some spots could've used one screw and it would've probably still been air tight. My advice, don't be in a rush. I've told the guys both times that I was in no hurry and they would attend to other customers while I walked around and waited. 30 minutes later, free cuts. They both said no charge. Patience FTW!
hmm intresting and i assume it was an older guy cutting the wood. I had a high school kid doing my cuts(I should of known better).

Tiger Bass
11-16-2006, 05:35 PM
My dad's a wood craftsman hobbiest who does jobs on the side. If I cant find what I need to cut something in my dads shed, they dont make it or its just broken atm.

mazdakid
11-16-2006, 06:36 PM
ive had them cut all of the dimensions for a box a few times, the pieces come out straight but not all the right lengths. so now i just get a sheet and get it cut into 1/4 sheets to fit in my car, instead of paying an extra $10 for the pre cut 1/4 sheets. o and ive tried to tip the workers before and they said they wont take my money

baseballer1100
11-16-2006, 07:24 PM
the guy at my home depot is very good at cutting mdf. his name is gary :)

I wish i had a gary.

Rawr-DQ
11-16-2006, 10:32 PM
last few times I got wood at home depot...

The first time I wasn't charged for the cuts, there was over two or so, and they weren't bad. The second time around I got a free sheet of MDF because the cashier didn't ring it up. :laugh:

I haven't had a bad experience with them so far.

baseballer1100
11-16-2006, 11:10 PM
last few times I got wood at home depot...

The first time I wasn't charged for the cuts, there was over two or so, and they weren't bad. The second time around I got a free sheet of MDF because the cashier didn't ring it up. :laugh:

I haven't had a bad experience with them so far.

Sounds like a rather good experience...haha

evan
11-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Give a moron a tool and you will get wasted material. There is no shortage of morons at my store. You just need to find out which associates actually have skills. The gauges on our saw are never accurate, but if you find the right guy he will get it done nicely.

ajm
11-17-2006, 03:17 AM
I think quality varies store to store and who you have cut it. So far I have had no luck what so ever. About a year ago I tried to have home depot make some cuts for me. I got home to find out that they were about 1/4" off so I took the wood back and got my $ back and cut it myself. Last weekend I went to lowes and it was even worse. I got home to find out not only were cuts off by 1/4 - 1/2" depending on which cut it was but the measurements of the board would vary up to 3/4". For example one cut had to be 28.5 x 50. One end measured 28.25 and the other measured 27.50. Once again I took it back and cut it myself.

Tempe
11-17-2006, 03:31 AM
I have worked at HD for 7+ years. Nearly all of my boxes were cut on the panel saw. I do my cuts for two reasons. 1) The lumber people are usually too busy and have more important things to do than to spend a half hour to get perfect cuts on a $22 sale. 2) I want them to be perfect. Yeah I usually spend almost an hour. Here's why.

Those tape measures that the manufacturer attatches to the saw are somewhat accurate. Sometimes they are pretty ****ed close. Well pretty ****ed close isn't good enough for me. I will break out the tape measure and mark my wood exactly where the cut needs to be. I will do a line at the mark and one 1/8' from the mark. I pull the vacuum hose off the saw and sight up the blade on my lines. If the ends of the blades cover BOTH lines then it's going to be a perfect cut. No I'm not done there.

I turn on the saw. I run the blade until I barely hear the teeth cut into the wood. I pull the saw back and make sure that it cut exactly where I wanted it to. If not I tap the blade over (or tap the wood over - depends on horizonatal or vertical cut) until it is perfect. I do another lovetap cut and make sure it's perfect. Once I know it's perfect I do the rest of the cut. Yeah it takes time. However it's a hell of a lot faster than a circular saw. Also when you live in an apartment complex you might just get kicked out for using a circular saw.

Nowadays HD hires a diverse mix of people. I mean with the wages they start people off at you are a complete ignorant moron to expect that person to be an expert wood cutter, know everything on how to fix the fungus problem on your exotic plant, or how to fix a leaky faucet. When you call some kind of customer service that person on the other end of the phone knows as much as what the computer screen says.

On the same token the HD associate knows as much as what he/she learned through training. When I started in 1998 we had product knowledge classes all the freaking time. You woke for classes 6am-8am once a month on a Sunday morning. Now nearly everything you learn is from a stupid computer-based class. Of course you learn a lot from on the job experience. I knew nothing when I started, but I have learned a whole shyte-load of stuff since working there. The longer the person works there the more he/she knows. Again, back to the wage issue, most people use HD as a part time job (2nd job, moms, or college students), use it as a stepping-stone onto a brighter future, or you get the occasional professional who has not job and cannot find anything better.

If you graduate high school and aspire to make a career of working at HD then yes I can see how you might expect people to know a lot there. On the other hand if you are some successful professional making $$$$ and would never stoop down to the level of working at HD, it baffles me if you expect that person making a few bucks more than minimum wage to know it all.

OK I'm totally off topic and I'm just ranting away. Ignore me. Do read the part about how I cut the MDF :D

Tempe

coolahan
11-19-2006, 07:27 AM
i went to lowes to have my mdf sheet cut.. i had it cut.. the kid took his time... and tried to do it perfect.. well i wanted to tip him but i couldnt because all i had was big bills.. well i went to ring up and i broke one of my bills and i went to go throw him a tip.. well he had left just a minute before i walked down there to go home because his shift was over.. so i said **** it and went on with my life.. i got home to find out that 1 of his cuts was an inch short... so i was ****ed on trying to get my box started... went through like 30 minutes of phone calls to make sure i wasn't about to get charged for me coming up there and them cutting me a new piece.. well i got up there and the manager had left.. i basically raised hell and got me a new piece.. finally got the right length and i got home and the piece on the bottom was warped and the cut was crooked...

point of the story is i will never ever... ever.. get another piece of MDF and have them cut it.

Big Dee
11-19-2006, 02:05 PM
point of the story is i will never ever... ever.. get another piece of MDF and have them cut it.

That is similar to my experience at Lowes. There was maybe 2 pieces out of all of them that were usable. Some were off by a half inch. I ended up trimming every piece with a circular saw.

That was my first and last time having them cut my wood.

Immacomputer
11-19-2006, 02:20 PM
The only time I let them cut precise peices, one was short by about 1/4". I had to recut the wood on my own and failed twice trying to use a jigsaw. After that, I started doing the cuts myself after buying a circular saw. Now, I borrow my friend's table saw and it's beautiful. The only time I let them cut the wood is to get it to fit in my vehicle. Splitting the wood in half usually works for me unless I lay the enclosure out differently.

AlpineUser
11-19-2006, 02:30 PM
i had all of my pieces cut at lowes today for my 4.3 @ 32 Hz build and they were perfect i tried givin the guy 5 bucks but he said he wouldnt take it and then i said im in no hurry and the guy took his time and every piece was cut perfect so i had a good experience so far with lowes cutting my wood

Blazemaster83
11-19-2006, 07:42 PM
i have had my wood cut at HD 5 times now, and everytime has been perfect. the one time i went in and thought it would be fuct, was when some 17 year old chick cut it...but to my surprise it was probly the best of them all. now i know this is probably not true with every HD, but i guess the saw they have is a good one lol. i have never payed for cuts...although it does take like 30 mins to get someone to help you...

geowick07
11-21-2006, 03:50 AM
iceteebone: where are you a in mich? i am near detroit, and i was curious where your HD was located. if its close, i will see if i can find a "gary"!

Exploder 97
11-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Ive had 3 boxes cut from home depot. Just today i got the 3rd cuts for my box. The one guy was acting unsure when i said, are you sure you know how to measure, and he was like well, no cuts are precise. and i asked if someone else could come cut them. the manager came and cut them for me. didnt charge me for the cuts, went home, measured, everything was perfect. so, i think it just varies from store to store. and i wasnt charged for the cuts. 28.95 for wood for a 5 cube box @ 32 hz... thats a ****en steal.

acold7dusta
11-30-2006, 09:50 AM
my guy that cut it yesterday was awesome, he subtracted the 1/8" everywhere, took his time, measured twice. cuts were PERFECT so i gave him a lil tip