PDA

View Full Version : Best to seal enclosure

sdimeconcept
11-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm building a wedge style enclosure this weekend, and I'm wondering if GE Silicone I or II would be better, or if it mattered. I'm going to pick up the MDF this weekend. I've got a big sheet of plywood in my shed that I was going to use, but it's definitely not as clean as MDF. I want this ported box to be a good one, so I decided I might as well spend 20 dollars and get some decent stuff.

I've got some good, good wood glue. I'm not sure what kind it is... I'm thinking Titebond, but I'm not sure. Should I cut a piece of the MDF to be used as a support for the PVC pipe? Then is it better to glue the support or run a screw through the bottom of the box to hold it in place?

Again, just a quick answer to the GE Silicone I or II would be better.

Thanks a bunch, guys!:D

thatkidbob
11-15-2006, 10:02 PM
fiberglass resin.

/thread

iceteebone
11-15-2006, 10:03 PM
II and make sure it is 100% silicone

ramos
11-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Unless your chasing tenths on a mic , resin is on the overkill side of things . Silicon will work fine for sealing the seams if needed . Not familiar with that exact brand though . As for supporting the port . How long is it ? :)

sdimeconcept
11-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Sounds good. Silicone just sounds a bit easier than the fiberglass resin... If I end up fiberglassing the box, I'll just put the extra resin on the seams.

I've played with the numbers, and I'll post them if you want me to. I hate to make the post too long.

Here's what I've got... All are wedge style boxes..

width: 24" height 1: 12.5" height 2: 2.5" depth: 12" enclosure volume: .82^3 feet.
2" diameter port / port length: 6.96" Tuned to 35 Hz (Round port)

width: 36" height 1: 15" height 2: 3" depth: 12" enclosure volume: 1.572^3 feet
3" diameter port / port length: 7.7" Tuned to 35 Hz (Round port)

width: 30" height 1: 15" height 2: 3" depth: 12" enclosure volume: TBD
3" diameter port / port length: TBD Tuned to 35 Hz (Round port)

Those are the three that I'm working on. I'm aiming for either the 36" length box or the 30" length box. I put the numbers together on the last one last night, so I haven't had time to find the total volume and what not.

What do you think?