PDA

View Full Version : What's a textile tweeter?

Grmanalishi
11-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Made of something similar in strength to silk?

Worlddre
11-15-2006, 11:14 AM
a tweeter that is made of a textile

3.5Max6spd
11-15-2006, 02:04 PM
silk is woven into a 'textile'

Rich B
11-15-2006, 02:11 PM
What is now called soft domes used to be called cloth domes (made of resin coated linen) back in the 60's and 70's, but the British being British used the word textile instead of cloth in their advertising.

Now stop asking these kinds of questions, I feel old enough already!

:D

Big Dee
11-15-2006, 02:31 PM
a tweeter that is made of a textile

:laugh:

Main Entry: tex·tile
Pronunciation: 'tek-"stI(-&)l, 'teks-t&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from neuter of textilis woven, from texere
1 : CLOTH 1a; especially : a woven or knit cloth
2 : a fiber, filament, or yarn used in making cloth

aeronautica86
11-15-2006, 02:58 PM
wow, all of yall missed the point of this thread. The OP is asking (i believe) what is another type of textile used for tweeters that is similar in strength to silk; or maybe more specifically, what is another brand/make of textile tweeter that is similar to silk, but not made of silk

3.5Max6spd
11-15-2006, 03:17 PM
wow, all of yall missed the point of this thread. The OP is asking (i believe) what is another type of textile used for tweeters that is similar in strength to silk; or maybe more specifically, what is another brand/make of textile tweeter that is similar to silk, but not made of silk

Is that what you get from the the original post? Puff puff give..

azbass
11-15-2006, 03:19 PM
i textile my own tweeters :naughty:

3.5Max6spd
11-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Simple actually...

Silk = natural fiber

Textile= woven fibers

If a manufacturer states 'textile', it could be woven from silk or other man-made filaments. If it specifically does not describe the dome as silk, perhaps its man made. I would inquire from the manufacturer if you need to know any more than that.

Chevyaudio
11-15-2006, 03:28 PM
i textile my own tweeters :naughty:

While you rap...right?

azbass
11-15-2006, 03:30 PM
rap while textile. yes

azbass
11-15-2006, 03:30 PM
then i go punch my boxing bag.

jmanpc
11-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Made of something similar in strength to silk?

pubic hair

Notwerk
11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Could be different things. Pioneer uses some man-made textiles for their tweeters, Oz Audio uses cotton in their Matrix Elites. Textile doesn't always mean silk. You might say its analogous to saying "soft dome" in that it tells us it's not a hard dome, but it more general than telling us what exactly it is made of.

The same thing happens with "hard dome." They're not always metal. For example, Accuton uses diamond and years ago, Magnat made a high-end speaker that used ceramic domes, though it looks like these days they make more conventional and rather cheap-looking stuff.

Grmanalishi
11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Ok, now that some of you are pissed off what is an M.M.D. tweeter? I can't find a description anywhere on the net. BTW, thank you for the very good explanations for those of you who put an effort into it.

Rich B
11-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Ok, now that some of you are pissed off what is an M.M.D. tweeter? I can't find a description anywhere on the net. BTW, thank you for the very good explanations for those of you who put an effort into it.

Metal Matrix Diaphram.

M.M.D. (and C.M.M.D., where the C stands for ceramic) is an Infinity tweeter material.

Heres a link to an Infinity white paper describing their C.M.M.D. material-

http://www.harmanaudio.com/all_about_audio/Cmmd.pdf

dalucifer
11-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Simple actually...

Silk = natural fiber

Textile= woven fibers

If a manufacturer states 'textile', it could be woven from silk or other man-made filaments. If it specifically does not describe the dome as silk, perhaps its man made. I would inquire from the manufacturer if you need to know any more than that.

Natural fibers are anything that isnt man made (cotton,wool,flax,silk,hemp etc..)
There is no such thing as a woven fiber..The fiber has to be spun into yarn depending on if its filament or staple length. Then the yarn is either woven or knitted.

EDIT: Textiles include: Fibers, yarns, fabrics and finished goods