PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a ported box for rock or techno??

waggs
11-15-2006, 03:50 AM
i want to put 2 12" type r's in a ported box but i don't know what to tune it to for tight bass. i don't want anything too boomy and i'm not looking for pure spl. so does anyone own a ported box that they mostly use for rock or techno or anything with tight bass? and if you do, what'd you tune it too?

hatemonger
11-15-2006, 03:56 AM
i want to put 2 12" type r's in a ported box but i don't know what to tune it to for tight bass. i don't want anything too boomy and i'm not looking for pure spl. so does anyone own a ported box that they mostly use for rock or techno or anything with tight bass? and if you do, what'd you tune it too?

i have 2 type r's myself, and they sound killer sealed. put around 1200 to 1500 watts rms and you'll have tight and loud bass. i have heard type r's ported and they sound ok. i think type r's are a better sub sealed. my 2 cents.

waggs
11-15-2006, 04:09 AM
yea i was planning to get a hifonics bx2005d amp to power them and i wanted people opinions on this.

hatemonger
11-15-2006, 04:13 AM
yea i was planning to get a hifonics bx2005d amp to power them and i wanted people opinions on this.

i say seal 'em. good sub sealed. not as good ported. that's not to say that they can't be ported, but for the music you like, def. sealed. mine do well on hip hop sealed also. you won't hit 150 db, but the neighbors will still hate you.

Tempe
11-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Music genre and enclosure type are not related. If you are looking for tight bass ensure that the drivers producing midbass (be they your midbasses in a 3-way or midwoofers in a 2-way) be properly installed. That means reading the sound deadening sticky in the speakers forum. If you can authorative up-front midbass then the bass will appear to be tight. If you have a gap between your midbass and subbase or if your subwoofer is up too high the bass will sound boomy or delayed.

PS kcdc30 can I marry the chick in your avatar? :)

waggs
11-15-2006, 12:27 PM
i say seal 'em. good sub sealed. not as good ported. that's not to say that they can't be ported, but for the music you like, def. sealed. mine do well on hip hop sealed also. you won't hit 150 db, but the neighbors will still hate you.

how much cu ft does each sub have in your box??

hatemonger
11-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Music genre and enclosure type are not related. If you are looking for tight bass ensure that the drivers producing midbass (be they your midbasses in a 3-way or midwoofers in a 2-way) be properly installed. That means reading the sound deadening sticky in the speakers forum. If you can authorative up-front midbass then the bass will appear to be tight. If you have a gap between your midbass and subbase or if your subwoofer is up too high the bass will sound boomy or delayed.

PS kcdc30 can I marry the chick in your avatar? :)

lol. i'll ask.

hatemonger
11-15-2006, 12:42 PM
how much cu ft does each sub have in your box??

mine are in .925 cu. ft. factory recommends .85, but i like 'em better in a little larger box.

adam007
11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Keep them sealed.....they sound good sealed and have nice clean "TIGHT" bass.

War Pin Meers
11-15-2006, 03:03 PM
They're generally unrelated, but to be basic, rock sounds better sealed, at least in my opinion. Dunno bout techno. I'd imagine it'd be nicer ported though.

Rich B
11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I prefer sealed, but most dance clubs that play techno use large ported subs from what I've seen.

mikey060
11-15-2006, 03:12 PM
basshunter wangs in my ported box :fyi:

waggs
11-15-2006, 03:19 PM
yea i mostly listen to ska/punk but i like every single genre of music out there and i couldn't think of any other music with tight punchy bass at the moment i made this thread:crap:

Chevyaudio
11-15-2006, 03:23 PM
:fyi:

The NEW Type R preforms a ton better in a properly Ported box. When will everyone learn that...

Ported=boomy
Sealed=Tight

IS COMPLETLY FALSE.

Give me a 12" sub and Ill put in in a 2 Cu Ft Sealed box and it will sound Boomy as hell, on the otherhand I can put it in a 2 cu Ft Ported box tuned to 28hz and it will have great Transient Response.

It is all in the install, And from my expereience the Type R sounds sub par in a sealed box.

Ctminime
11-15-2006, 03:23 PM
people type Rs are a ported box sub.... they play fine sealed or ported on about anything.... and that "tight" bass sound isnt even accomplished with just a sealed box... if u can build a ported box THE RIGHT WAY it will sound as good as sealed but just be louder... end of story... the only reason sealed should be a choice is if u dont have the space to go ported...

waggs
11-16-2006, 12:28 AM
people type Rs are a ported box sub.... they play fine sealed or ported on about anything.... and that "tight" bass sound isnt even accomplished with just a sealed box... if u can build a ported box THE RIGHT WAY it will sound as good as sealed but just be louder... end of story... the only reason sealed should be a choice is if u dont have the space to go ported...
yea but i've heard a lot of people suggest what tuning i should do if i go ported but no one actually has a ported box and listens to my kind of music:uhoh:

SPL_Lancer
11-16-2006, 05:36 AM
I find 1.5cu.ft tuned to 30-35Hz sounds good for rock etc.

Immacomputer
11-16-2006, 09:05 AM
yea but i've heard a lot of people suggest what tuning i should do if i go ported but no one actually has a ported box and listens to my kind of music:uhoh:

I guarantee you that I listen to whatever type of music you listen to and I have listened to it with my sub ported and sealed.

Just like said before, enclosure type has NOTHING to do with music taste or applications. If that would be true, how come almost every single high end home theater system uses ported subs and mids?

Getting the right sound has everything to do with designing the enclosure around the sub for a specific purpose. If you make a ported enclosure too large for the sub, you will get a more boomy bass but you also increase the group delay which can make things get sloppy sounding. With house techno, this can be something that makes the music seem off beat. But, as long as you keep the size low, you will be fine. The group delay also heavily relies on the sub you're using.