PDA

View Full Version : poll for tuning freq. pls look

ThatChevyGuy
11-15-2006, 12:48 AM
Okay i built a box with a 3.5" wide aero port that is currently at 35 hz. I want it a lil bit lower, that low that takes your breathe away, and im not a pure spl fan. The subs are Pa fubars (i like them, so shut up) and the box is 3 cubes. Should i tune them to 26, 28, 30, or 32 hz? thanks

ThatChevyGuy
11-15-2006, 05:41 PM
box retuned to 30 hz, i will have a vid soon if anyone is interested. thanks.

ffkk
11-17-2006, 05:10 AM
I was actually quite interested, but it seems nobody voted. I wonder why? surely people/installers should have a preference or some experience from customers perception as to what tuning frequency setup sounds best maybe for different genres of music.

Immacomputer
11-17-2006, 08:52 AM
I was actually quite interested, but it seems nobody voted. I wonder why? surely people/installers should have a preference or some experience from customers perception as to what tuning frequency setup sounds best maybe for different genres of music.

The tuning frequency of an enclosure alone does not determine how music will sound on it. The enclosure size and the sub used will also have an effect on how it will sound. Also, there is no way to know what the user really wants so there is no way that we can decide for him. I also have no experience with enclosures for those subs so there is no way I would ever recommend a tuning for them. That's why I didn't vote.

ffkk
11-20-2006, 06:01 AM
The tuning frequency of an enclosure alone does not determine how music will sound on it. The enclosure size and the sub used will also have an effect on how it will sound. Also, there is no way to know what the user really wants so there is no way that we can decide for him. I also have no experience with enclosures for those subs so there is no way I would ever recommend a tuning for them. That's why I didn't vote.

Hi Immacomputer

You're not making sense to me. The enclosure size, sub parameters and other factors will affect the desired tuning frequency. This tuning frequency is important as the output above this frequency is from the sub and around the frequency is from the vent. Well thats what I understand anyway.

I was basically looking for a general feel of what guys are tuning their boxes to. And are different freq's used for different music genre's. I understand different ppl have different tastes but a poll should help understand these tastes. Has anyone seen a poll on here that does this in general and not for a specific sub or car etc.?

heyman421
11-20-2006, 06:12 AM
that port may as well not even be there

that's not even 10 square inches of port

just to be affective and not have port noise at the same time, you're gonna want to be between 30-50 square inches of port PER DRIVER, and most SPL guys use way bigger ports than that

A proper ported box cannot be created in hindsight, it needs to be incorporated into the design of the box, or you're going to need to use external aero ports

but that port was probably designed for a .5-.75 cubic foot midrange enclosure for a shelf speaker, not a subwoofer enclosure

heyman421
11-20-2006, 06:25 AM
people tune boxes anywhere from 25-60hz for car audio, depending on the driver, and the intended use

you cannot play frequencies under 70% of the tuning of the box
internal pressure in the enclosure increases as the frequency rises further above your tuning frequency, thus trasient response increases as well
the higher you tune, the higher your peak output gain, and also the wider the frequency range of your gains increase
your peak output gain is 5-10hz above tuning
and for strict SPL useage, your goal is to tune the enclosure to have your peak gain at the car's peak cabin gain frequency, and build the box big enough to reach xmax even during the peak internal resonance of the enclosure, while using a port that's as big as possible before the port velocity becomes too slow to effectively couple with the forward output of the cone to prevent cancellation, all of which renders the enclosure useless for anything but test tones without destroying the sub

ffkk
11-20-2006, 06:36 AM
people tune boxes anywhere from 25-60hz for car audio, depending on the driver, and the intended use

So for eg. U have a CVR12 with a Fs of 26.1 Hz, and a resonant freq of your car is around 50Hz. If u were gonna listen to rap, hip-hop and sometimes rock, what sorta tuning frequency would you go for? The SPL/deep bass box spec from Kicker is at 38Hz IIRC. Should one just go for that or is it not really gonna give bass for music but rather just for SPL? Kicker also recommends a compact and a street bass enclosure around 42Hz.

heyman421
11-20-2006, 06:48 AM
anywhere from 35-38 would be great

i've tried tuning frequencies everywhere from 30-42hz, and i'm sold on tuning right around 35hz for the best output, while still being able to get pretty **** low

ffkk
11-20-2006, 07:30 AM
anywhere from 35-38 would be great

i've tried tuning frequencies everywhere from 30-42hz, and i'm sold on tuning right around 35hz for the best output, while still being able to get pretty **** low

kewl. I'm gonna try for the 38Hz once I get my hands on some board :D

This is off Kickers site:
"6. Can I use a custom ported SPL enclosure for playing music?

Probably not. You need to know more about the enclosure before attempting this. If the SPL enclosure is tuned above 50Hz, it should not be used for music. Music can go significantly lower than 40Hz. If you play music below the port tuning of the enclosure, the woofer can (and probably will) be damaged. Below the port tuning frequency, the woofer becomes "unloaded" resulting in loss of control and physical damage."

so if I used 38 Hz the sub will become unstable below that!!! Unless I set the SSF to 38Hz or just below. I believe most on the poll went for 32Hz. I need to do more homework I guess.

ffkk
11-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Apologies for stealing this thread, but i had another question. Kicker recommends the SSF be set at 25Hz. So they saying between 25 and 38Hz the sub won't really get that unstable in order to cause any sort of fracture or failure of the sub?