PDA

View Full Version : Making 6.5's Fit

Dynasty
11-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I have an '03 Chevy Malibu with the stock 4x6 front speakers. They were fine at first, but now they have to go. I want to replace them with 6.5 speakers because of such a difference they will make.

How do I go about doing this? What mods need to be done? I will order some 4x6 into 6.5 speaker adapters, but from there what needs to be done?

Can someone walk me through the steps?

I really appreciate your time in helping me upgrade my speakers.

oneflatoniakid
11-15-2006, 05:23 PM
I going through a simlar porocess with my Mustang Vert.
I'm upgrading from 5 1/4 speaker size to 6 1/2 inch speakers in the door. [ circular sepakers ]
I will have mine professional done this weekend & let you know the process.
My speakers will need special drilling & mounting brackets becasue of the magnet size of the new speakers.

john#21
11-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I going through a simalr porocess with my Mustang Vert.
I'm upgrading from 5 1/4 speaker size to 6 1/2 inch speakers in the door. [ circular sepakers ]
I will have mine professional done this weekend & let you know the process.
Mine car will need special drilling & mounting brackets becasue of the magnet size of the new speakers.

What year mustang?

oneflatoniakid
11-17-2006, 02:08 AM
What year mustang?
Sorry just getting back on the board.
I have a 1988 GT Vert [ Fox Body Era ]
Will be picking it up from the paint shop tomorrow,

Mynameismcgyver
11-17-2006, 11:12 AM
I had 5.25 in my doors orginally. All I had to do was cut alittle off the speaker mounting face and then the original grill. Used a die grinder, took 30 min. I think it varies car to car. Helps if you have a 6.5 speaker so you can measure and look at it.

Hoodlum007
11-17-2006, 02:46 PM
i had 5.25" in my old install and used 1/2" spacers to make them fit and it worked great.

Dynasty
11-20-2006, 08:06 PM
These are the speaker adapters I'm looking to get- http://cgi.ebay.com/6-speaker-adapters-for-Cavalier-Sunfire-Grand-Am-NR_W0QQitemZ330043883642QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60208QQ cmdZViewItem

Will that allow me to just drop a new speaker?

Dynasty
11-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Anyone?

acold7dusta
11-21-2006, 08:02 PM
if that replaces the stock adaptor, it could work

i just went with kick pods in my alero (also 4x6)

Dynasty
11-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Did you make the kick pods yourself or did you buy them some where?

Notwerk
11-21-2006, 10:23 PM
You can get kicks pre-made from Q-logic:

http://www.qlogic.ws/home/home.jsp

But if you go that route, make sure to apply dynamat or similar dampening material to the inside of the panel. They're made of rather thin plastic and need the help. Also make sure that whatever speaker you're looking at will fit in the panel for your car. Oversized 6.5 inchers usually won't fit, so be mindful of that.

Other than that, you can make them yourself if you're handy with fiberglass (going this route is cheapest, but you have to know what you're doing) or you can have them made in a shop, though custom-made kicks usually cost a lot. I should warn that the hardest part of making kicks is figuring out how to aim the speaker. If a shop doesn't spend time doing that (and many don't), even if they come out really well made, they might sound like crap. Definitely look into a shop's rep (and if you can see their work, even better) before you have them make kicks for you.

Oh, as for the stock opening, you can try making a MDF baffle and hoping that'll fit. Really depends on how the speaker opening is cut and what the magnet on the speaker is like.

Dynasty
11-22-2006, 10:38 AM
I just looked at the Q-Logic web site and they do not make kick pods for my car, which is a 2003 Chevy Malibu.

xtremekustomz
11-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Q-Logic is coming out with new panels that will allow you to use 6.5" speakers. When they will be out I don't know. Why not just build your own?

Rattlebrain
11-22-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure of what your current stock location looks like but I have used Masonite to make new mounting plates. You know the stuff that peg board is made out of without holes. You can get a 4x8 sheet for like 7-8 bucks. Comes in handy for a lot of different things.

acold7dusta
11-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Did you make the kick pods yourself or did you buy them some where?

i made them myself. they costed about 50 bucks in material and took about 20 hours. and they sound really good, any other questions we can take ot PM

Dynasty
11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I am now considering having a local car audio shop do it for me.

I do not feel confident in building fiberglass kick pods, nor making the speaker mounts larger. As easy as people make it seem, I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

How much should I be expecting to pay to have the 4x6 speakers made to fit 6.5s?

Dynasty
12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
^ Never did have a shop do it.

Still have the stock 4x6s and hating them more and more...

I don't know if what size speaker to go with now. I know I have approx 3" of mounting depth to work with. I have been looking at 6.5s and some have less and some have more. I am now considering 5.25 speakers. Will 5.25 be easier to make fit in the 4x6 area?