PDA

View Full Version : Nav System Recs?

ccorces1
11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Iím so sick of this crappy stock in-dash nav system that came in my wifeís new SUV, itís a total POS and I need something new. Itís a huge investment so I donít wanna make a rash decision, are there certain lines that are better than others?

j3bus2k3
11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Pioneer Z1, Alpine Blackbird, Eclipse AVN series...

ccorces1
11-14-2006, 01:54 PM
i've heard really good things about the pioneer, have you ever used one or known anyone who has

Chevyaudio
11-14-2006, 01:56 PM
I played around with a Z1 its a very nice unit. I also have messed around with the AVN eclipses and they too are nice...Not to familiar with the blackbird...but it looks more like a Garmin, or Tom Tom. dash mounted GPS with a small screen. Honestly it may be compatable with a video out and can be run in conjunction with one of Alpines indash Multi-Media systems...but Im not sure.

azbass
11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
id recomend a pioneer. for nav.

or even the new black bird from alpine if you want somthing protable. if you travel in a rental car. etc.

j3bus2k3
11-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Personally, I would go top of the line AVN series from eclipse. The music juke feature plus the hard drive navi is what sells it for me...

ccorces1
11-15-2006, 01:22 PM
i've heard that the eclipse is pretty sketchy with the navigation feature and that the maps aren't always the most up-to-date, have you experienced that problem or not so much?

saj21187
11-16-2006, 02:03 PM
i've heard that the eclipse is pretty sketchy with the navigation feature and that the maps aren't always the most up-to-date, have you experienced that problem or not so much?

I have the AVN 6600 and it is decent as far as the nav goes. It has the most up to date nav disc eclipse has to offer i believe. Ive only had one or two instances where it couldnt find something.

jluv
11-16-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm a big fan of Alpine in general, but I went through two of the Blackbirds and both had separate issues. There were times I wanted to toss it out the window for freezing up or just going all whacky on me. The last one got stolen a few weeks ago and I'm spending the money on something else. I got mine for the whole purpose of hooking it up to my W200, but they still haven't released the docking stations that were due out in March of this year. They have come down in price, but are still expensive. Other people I know with them have experienced glitches too.

jmanpc
11-16-2006, 07:23 PM
The Pioneer AVIC Z1 is incredibly ****, as is the Eclipse AVN 5500/6600. If you don't have a double din, go for the Pioneer AVIC N3 or the Eclipse CD7000

jmanpc
11-16-2006, 07:24 PM

the maps are long overdue for an update. They're from like 04 or 05.

explorer2
11-16-2006, 07:47 PM
its not an indash, but I have a tomtom, and it is incredible. extremly easy to use and very versatile. I have only found 2 errors in the maps in the past 8 months, I because an interchange was never finished and it had the finished version on the map, and another because it had the wrong address for a poi.

ccorces1
11-20-2006, 03:36 PM
i've heard very similar things about the Pioneer models and am so tempted to pull the trigger and pick one up, i'm headed out to best buy tonight to look at them again, it is very possible that I end up with a new nav system by the end of the night!

saj21187
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
i've heard very similar things about the Pioneer models and am so tempted to pull the trigger and pick one up, i'm headed out to best buy tonight to look at them again, it is very possible that I end up with a new nav system by the end of the night!

Just so you know IF its a higher end pioneer like the z1 and i think the N2 and some others possibly, it is a bit more involved if you plan on bypassing the ebrake wire than just grounding it out to watch movies(not recomended), or enter in stuff on the nav while driving...they have a motion sensor that detects when the vehicle is moving, so grounding the unit out does no good. Which pioneer unit are you looking at