PDA

View Full Version : treany/clutch/pressure plate :crap:

300m_on_xxx
11-13-2006, 02:48 AM
hey guys hope you can help me out here

the car is a bmw 325is

any ways i wanted to know what are signs of my clutch or pressure plate going bad???

because every time i give it alot of gas there is this sound comeing from the trany/clutch/pressure plate, like a rapped tumble sound it's very hard to say.

and it only dose this when i give it gas. i can be driving normal and it wont do it only when i'm gassing it aka when i race.

any help will help me out alot guys thants for your time

Albert

01sugar2
11-13-2006, 07:57 PM
If you have plenty of pedal pressure (not abnormally hard) then it's not the throw out bearing nor any of the other cheap parts. If noises don't go away when you push in your clutch, then it's most likely not the pressure plate. Sounds to me like your clutch is starting to come apart, and that you've possibly got part of a torsion spring or two loose inside there. If you have any slight shutter upon acceleration, then you're looking at a clutch that is begining to slip. if everything holds fine initially then your Pressure Plate is probably doing its job to the best of its ability. Of course when you go into it all, it's always best to replace the throw out bearing, clutch and pressrue plate (and the pilot bearing if your car has one). Also best, if at all possible, to have the flywheel surfaced and balanced while you're there. A bad face on the mating surface for the flywheel where the clutch rides (cracks from heat/stress and or black hot spots) can cause premature failure in any number of ways on the new clutch (most likely not right away but soon eough). Not to mention that out of balanced fly's can cause major engine bearing failure(s) to the crank journals, so it's wise just to do it all at once.... I hope this is what you were looking for.

Ps. I'd stop racing it and stay away from high(er) RPM's if you don't have to be there (assuming that you can't get it all fixed right away). DO NOT QUOTE ME on BMW's, but I bet for the labor and parts you're looking at the $500 to $600 to have a repair facility fix the concern. Best of luck!

Dustin

300m_on_xxx
11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
If you have plenty of pedal pressure (not abnormally hard) then it's not the throw out bearing nor any of the other cheap parts. If noises don't go away when you push in your clutch, then it's most likely not the pressure plate. Sounds to me like your clutch is starting to come apart, and that you've possibly got part of a torsion spring or two loose inside there. If you have any slight shutter upon acceleration, then you're looking at a clutch that is begining to slip. if everything holds fine initially then your Pressure Plate is probably doing its job to the best of its ability. Of course when you go into it all, it's always best to replace the throw out bearing, clutch and pressrue plate (and the pilot bearing if your car has one). Also best, if at all possible, to have the flywheel surfaced and balanced while you're there. A bad face on the mating surface for the flywheel where the clutch rides (cracks from heat/stress and or black hot spots) can cause premature failure in any number of ways on the new clutch (most likely not right away but soon eough). Not to mention that out of balanced fly's can cause major engine bearing failure(s) to the crank journals, so it's wise just to do it all at once.... I hope this is what you were looking for.

Ps. I'd stop racing it and stay away from high(er) RPM's if you don't have to be there (assuming that you can't get it all fixed right away). DO NOT QUOTE ME on BMW's, but I bet for the labor and parts you're looking at the $500 to $600 to have a repair facility fix the concern. Best of luck!

Dustin

thanks man thats just what i was looking for

01sugar2
11-13-2006, 08:57 PM
No problem! That's what these forums are here for... to help others in search for information. :) I hope all goes well with the repairs.

Dustin

300m_on_xxx
11-14-2006, 12:52 AM
hey Dustin you thinkn this kit will fix my problem

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8534/clutchkiton1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

To replace your worn clutch you will have to remove the transmission from your BMW. This is not terribly difficult, but it is time consuming and you wouldn't want to do it twice for the sake of incidental parts. This is why we have put together a clutch kit with all the items you should replace, not just the obvious ones. Our kit contains: an alignment tool, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, rear engine seal, pilot bearing, all transmission seals, exhaust gaskets, and a pivot pin. All our clutch components are manufactured by Sachs, Europe's premier clutch manufacturer. Sachs clutch discs, pressure plates and throw out bearings are original equipment and are engineered to deliver maximum performance.

01sugar2
11-14-2006, 12:57 AM
Most likely, it has all the normal items that need to be replaced (and then some). Not so sure I'd worry about the rear main seal and or those tranny seals though unless you're confident in either yourself, or a certified repair facility to do those replacements. More often than not, first timers tend to mess up a lil' something on the install of the rear main seal and develop an oil leak of some kind. In short, sometimes if a part isn't broken, don't fix it. Unless it's common practice on a BMW, those two said items are the only ones I'd be concerned about. Other than that, great setup with the kit and the brand is very reputable. AIM = sugar2mtb If I'm not on the forum, feel free to IM me anytime.

Dustin