PDA

View Full Version : how much do you charge members for your work?

acold7dusta
11-12-2006, 12:12 PM
ive made about 5 boxes for myself and a couple for my friends. Obviously i didnt charge my friends anything, because they bought the materials and all. whats a fair price to charge someone a box? i know its all relative, but im getting ready to design and builda box for a 15" Fi Q 3-4 cu ft @ 32 hz. Is $100 shipped for a complete carpetted box too high? im not worried about too low because i really dont care about the money. its just a bonus i guess you could say. so what do you guys usually charge when you make a box?

mtdewelf
11-12-2006, 12:15 PM
boxes vary in price for alot of reasons, difficulty, shipping distance, size..

100shipped per box will probably make you the most popular builder on here..

If just doing it to pass the time then go something like, cost of materials + cost of shipping + $20 = price shipped...

lilmaniac2
11-12-2006, 12:17 PM
for a 4.5 cube box uncovered for a single 15 i charged 120 + shipping materials + Shipping

shawnfleming
11-12-2006, 12:24 PM
**** you guys are cheap!

iamamp3pimp
11-12-2006, 12:27 PM
ridiculously cheap.

acold7dusta
11-12-2006, 12:27 PM
lol **** i thought i was bein unreasonable

lilmaniac2
11-12-2006, 12:29 PM
eh i feel bad chargin 200 bucks for a single 15 box.... ive gotten alot better building so i can knock one out in about 30 mins with some help from the g/f so 100 bucks an hour isnt bad pay :) lol

89Vette
11-12-2006, 12:35 PM
I think carpeted should add quite a bit...

Because building a box is not too difficult, but putting carpet on it seems seems like it would be...

dru
11-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I charge 50 bucks plus materials.

I see it as great practice and ****, my friends recommend me to all their friends and bam more business.

Plus the norfolk naval base woodshop is free to use so that's never a problem.

iamamp3pimp
11-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I think carpeted should add quite a bit...

Because building a box is not too difficult, but putting carpet on it seems seems like it would be...

it really all depends on how much time that you put into it. carpet isnt the cheapest thing, and putting it on takes about an hour.

lilmaniac2
11-12-2006, 12:39 PM
eh its a two way street unfinished boxes is all i build because honestly ive never built a carpeted box but an unfinished box the seems must be flawless, but if you cover the box a 1/16th of an inch probably isnt even noticeable. when all i had was a cicular saw i spent a good 45 minutes with my sander geting seems perfect... with the table saw i dont need to do that...

kickerlivinloud
11-12-2006, 12:42 PM
It all depends on the size and complexity (sp) of the box. Everyone here is different but materials + shipping and a little extra from the time is about what ppl charge. Were abouts in Buffalo you at, right in the city or??

Jon

acold7dusta
11-12-2006, 12:44 PM
well for a **** box itd be 80 bucks. carpetting + terminals = 100 bucks, so when you think about it, its about $50 labor + materials

do you guys cut your own wood, or get home depot/lowes to cut it for you? i cant fit it in my trunk so i usually have them do the cuts, and there usually pretty close, except for those occasional stray pieces that are 1/16 off that i gotta fill in

iamamp3pimp
11-12-2006, 12:44 PM
eh its a two way street unfinished boxes is all i build because honestly ive never built a carpeted box but an unfinished box the seems must be flawless, but if you cover the box a 1/16th of an inch probably isnt even noticeable. when all i had was a cicular saw i spent a good 45 minutes with my sander geting seems perfect... with the table saw i dont need to do that...

unfinished boxes do indeed have to be perfect. for that seamless look, bondoing the screwholes and the seams seems to work rather well.

acold7dusta
11-12-2006, 12:45 PM
It all depends on the size and complexity (sp) of the box. Everyone here is different but materials + shipping and a little extra from the time is about what ppl charge. Were abouts in Buffalo you at, right in the city or??

Jon

naw im in north tonawanda, but not many people know where that is, so i just say buffalo area

iamamp3pimp
11-12-2006, 12:46 PM
well for a **** box itd be 80 bucks. carpetting + terminals = 100 bucks, so when you think about it, its about $50 labor + materials

do you guys cut your own wood, or get home depot/lowes to cut it for you? i cant fit it in my trunk so i usually have them do the cuts, and there usually pretty close, except for those occasional stray pieces that are 1/16 off that i gotta fill in

if i have access to a truck i get the whole sheet to my house in one piece. if im taking my car, then i do **** like this
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/iamamp3pimp/Worklogs/Bonesninja/Picture038.jpg
lol

I dont trust any cuts to them though, i get the pieces cut too big, and i cut down from there.

waggs
11-12-2006, 12:47 PM
how much would someone charge me cut the pieces for a ported box for 2 12" type r's? somethin around 5cu @32hz. i don't want it assembled just the pieces cut out cause it might be cheaper. just curious:p:

iamamp3pimp
im looking @ that again, it makes me lmao

iamamp3pimp
how much would someone charge me cut the pieces for a ported box for 2 12" type r's? somethin around 5cu @32hz. i don't want it assembled just the pieces cut out cause it might be cheaper. just curious:p:

its be about 10 dollars less than a completed box imo

kickerlivinloud
11-12-2006, 12:48 PM
naw im in north tonawanda, but not many people know where that is, so i just say buffalo area

Yea, I think I've heard of it. I have the same problem, if I say I'm from Himrod, I get lots of weird looks so instead I say Finger Lakes is a lot easyer...:p:

Jon

acold7dusta
11-12-2006, 12:48 PM
yea nvr heard of himrod haha. how bad are your winters over there? do you still get the lake effect snow over there?

iamamp3pimp
11-12-2006, 12:50 PM
or yuou can pm joeldirt, he was charging 2 dollars a board foot shipped to you

acold7dusta
11-12-2006, 12:50 PM
if i have access to a truck i get the whole sheet to my house in one piece. if im taking my car, then i do **** like this
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/iamamp3pimp/Worklogs/Bonesninja/Picture038.jpg
lol

I dont trust any cuts to them though, i get the pieces cut too big, and i cut down from there.

haha good thinkin i might try that when i get a better table saw

dru
11-12-2006, 01:02 PM
hahaha that picture made me laugh

iamamp3pimp
11-12-2006, 01:03 PM
haha i laugh every time i see it, and when i do it.

nVRuckus
11-12-2006, 01:06 PM
I mostly do fiberglass so I charge by man hour. wood bosxes I usually only do for friends and teammates so I dont charge.

kickerlivinloud
11-12-2006, 01:41 PM
yea nvr heard of himrod haha. how bad are your winters over there? do you still get the lake effect snow over there?

Were I am we rarly get hit hard. I'm pretty much right now Senica Lake, so it will ran at my place and be snowing at the top of the hill. The lakes plays heck with our weather over here.

Off Topic: Whats the car in your sig? not the acura. I can't tell from the angle but it does look pretty

Jon

bjfish11
11-12-2006, 01:47 PM
I shoot for: ALL material cost (carpeted or uncarpeted) +75 (labor) + shipping.

acold7dusta
11-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Were I am we rarly get hit hard. I'm pretty much right now Senica Lake, so it will ran at my place and be snowing at the top of the hill. The lakes plays heck with our weather over here.

Off Topic: Whats the car in your sig? not the acura. I can't tell from the angle but it does look pretty

Jon

well the "acura" is my olds. alero, and the one on the left is my 1972 plymouth satellite (same as the Road Runners) i just bought a rebuilt 383 to drop in it, and ones its gettin painted red this winter. Currently its got a 318 4bbl, and thats been my project car for the past 2 1/2 years. i got pics of what it looked like when i first got it, if you wanna see

Sonnick
11-12-2006, 03:53 PM
lol

Lol. You could be a little crazy :p:

Looks kinda like cats cradle. Lol

mtdewelf
11-12-2006, 03:58 PM
well the "acura" is my olds. alero, and the one on the left is my 1972 plymouth satellite (same as the Road Runners) i just bought a rebuilt 383 to drop in it, and ones its gettin painted red this winter. Currently its got a 318 4bbl, and thats been my project car for the past 2 1/2 years. i got pics of what it looked like when i first got it, if you wanna see

I'd take some of them pics PM'd or emailed to [email protected]

I've got a 66 fury II with the 383, stock 4barrel. great fun, specially for a hugeass car. starting the 52ford now.

ssj2xxgotenxx
11-13-2006, 04:45 AM
I do $70.00 + Materials + shippping (if applicable). After figuring the math profit / labor in hours, I don't think it's worth the time or labor... It's pretty laborous to build a box (i.e. cuts, assembly, upholstery, etc...)

CG_Cord
11-13-2006, 05:16 AM
since were're on the subject, im looking for a person who could build a sealed enclosure for 1 12"... ive got quoted about $110shipped, but looking around to see what other people are asking
ill have the money by decemeber so thats probably when ill need the box

pwnt by pat
11-13-2006, 10:08 AM
boxes vary in price for alot of reasons, difficulty, shipping distance, size..

100shipped per box will probably make you the most popular builder on here..

If just doing it to pass the time then go something like, cost of materials + cost of shipping + $20 = price shipped...

That's pretty much my price, for routered edges, bondo, and painted ports on an unfinished box.

PowerNaudio
11-13-2006, 11:46 AM
and there is the only reason i got me a truck. haha

my starting price for a ported enclosure is $120
for a sealed $90

and then the price changes according to the size and quantity of sub.

i feel i have to provide a quality product and because of that i have to charge more, instead of just a building a cheap and fast product.

bjfish11
11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
and there is the only reason i got me a truck. haha

my starting price for a ported enclosure is $120
for a sealed $90

and then the price changes according to the size and quantity of sub.

i feel i have to provide a quality product and because of that i have to charge more, instead of just a building a cheap and fast product.

x 100000000000000000.
Some people think all boxes are created equal. And just because Joe Blow will do it for $XXX, some think I should do it for the same price.