PDA

View Full Version : 2ohms ampli power for 4ohms speakers

cognition
11-12-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm a newbie in car setup. Is it possible to feed my infinity reference components and alpine type-s coax with 2ohms from the amplifier eventhough they're rated at 4ohms?

I'm not sure if I stated my question correctly... but my installer had advised me to use my single 4-channel amplifier to power my comps and coax with channels 1 and 2 (@ 2ohms each) and a 12" sub with channels 2 and 3.

Will this be all right?

linvillegorge
11-13-2006, 09:21 AM
You can't do it. You can't just pick what ohm load an amp "sees" from a speaker. If you have 4ohm, single voice coil speakers, your amp is going to "see" a 4 ohm load. There's no way around it.

Thieroff
11-13-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm a newbie in car setup. Is it possible to feed my infinity reference components and alpine type-s coax with 2ohms from the amplifier eventhough they're rated at 4ohms?

I'm not sure if I stated my question correctly... but my installer had advised me to use my single 4-channel amplifier to power my comps and coax with channels 1 and 2 (@ 2ohms each) and a 12" sub with channels 2 and 3.

Will this be all right?

The speaker presents the impedance to the amplifier, so if you hook up a 4 ohm speaker to an amp it will see a 4ohm load.

The speaker controls the impedance the amp sees, not the other way around

CT