PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse 8454 vs Eclipse CD7000 ? Input please

xravexboix
11-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Here is my current set up:

2002 Toyota Solara
Eclipse CD8454 ("PRO" mode, makes me feel good :D )
-
Eclipse PA5422 -> Running Active 4 Channel, doing pretty good right now
Diamond Audio Hex S600s
-
Eclipse DA7122
Eclipse 10" Aluminum Subwoofers(x2)

My 8454 is getting old and tired (works fine... I'm finally tired of it after almost 3 years) so I think it's finally time to upgrade/side-grade. I'm a fan of the old-style Eclipse look though (the model line that included the 8454 was the last of the 'pure oem look' models). The huge knob looks really annoying *cough* BMW iDrive- lol *cough* but the unit looks very nice. I've read multiple threads here, but many people seem to be fanboys (I was one too... lol).

Now, for the important part:
I can get the unit pretty cheap but was wondering if the sound has any improvement in comparison to the CD8454. I've own multiple Eclipse units, and owned that Clarion DVD player from 02... I think the model has DV911 in it somewhere.... I'm willing to try out Alpine (except for the one w/ the huge touch screen) or venture a little further out to Pioneer if need-be. I'd prefer sticking with Eclipse though.

I don't do any competitions or events. I just like to have some nice sounding music while on relaxing drives.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Spooby
11-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Your headunit is awesome. I wouldn't think about changing it out. My personal reasons?

1) There isn't an Alpine deck (new at least) on the market worth getting unless it is paired up with the PXA-H701. This is based on you saying you didn't want to buy the W200, which is the only Alpine headunit I would buy at this time.

2) the Eclipse CD7000 has a few more bells and whistles, but for pure listening enjoyment it won't offer anything that your current deck doesn't already have.

3) The Pioneer DEH-P880PRS would be the only deck I would consider besides the DEX-P9. Thats mainly because the DEX-P9 retails for $1,200...and I don't see it as being practical to buy a radio that expensive YET. :greedy:

4) The Pioneer DEH-P880PRS and the Kenwood Ez700SR are the only 2 decks I can think of that has the "classic" look that I personally like. Then again for me it would also be dependant on what your dash looks like and how well it flows with the overall cosmetic scheme.

Blah, maybe this is why it takes me forever to buy a new deck. :crap:

Back to what I do http://www.nisaznmonk.com/personal_images/smilies/hookah.gif

xravexboix
11-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on it... ha ha ha. Got a great deal anyhow ($500) so I hope I get some good use out of it... now I hope I can sell my CD8454 for a decent price (gonna have it refurb'd before selling).

xravexboix
11-16-2006, 02:26 PM
I'll be playing w/ the unit all weekend (unless I snag a ps3, lol) so I'll have a comprehensive review (comparison to CD8454) next week :D