PDA

View Full Version : Amp And Speaker Ohm Question

Hustler904
11-11-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm getting a kicker 650.4 amp thats able to handle 2 ohms,the speakers right now are infiniti reference series 6.5 components up front which are 4 ohm,and rear 6x9's 4 ohm,the amps got hookups for amp1 and amp2 and I was hoping to run all 4 speakers into 2ohm so that it puts out more power,but since the speakers are all 4 ohms,would it run into 2ohm or would every speaker still be at 4 ohm's?

JimJ
11-11-2006, 01:45 AM
If you wire the front and rear channels together, you're going to lose the ability to fade front/back and most likely have a very poor-sounding setup.

Definitely worth any extra power you may get from it.

Hustler904
11-11-2006, 01:52 AM
I hear ya,I figured I was gonna run the fronts to amp 1,and the rears to amp 2,so every speaker would be getting its own positive and negative connection,sorry for the noob questions but i never understood speaker ohms,sub ohms was easy to figure out,right now the speakers are still running off the head unit which is only like 54x4,never hooked an amp to speakers before so I wanna make sure i set it up right to where its sounding the best to its ability

JimJ
11-11-2006, 01:55 AM
but i never understood speaker ohms,sub ohms was easy to figure out,

I can't figure out what you mean :)

I hear ya,I figured I was gonna run the fronts to amp 1,and the rears to amp 2

Ah, you didn't say you had two amps. In that case, it'd work out fine, but you won't get a 2 ohm stereo load anywhere.

beckSHO
11-11-2006, 01:56 AM
I hear ya,I figured I was gonna run the fronts to amp 1,and the rears to amp 2,so every speaker would be getting its own positive and negative connection,sorry for the noob questions but i never understood speaker ohms,sub ohms was easy to figure out,right now the speakers are still running off the head unit which is only like 54x4,never hooked an amp to speakers before so I wanna make sure i set it up right to where its sounding the best to its ability

Your deck probably isn't doing the full 54x4wrms...

ultimate157
11-11-2006, 03:31 AM
Your deck probably isn't doing the full 54x4wrms...

Most decks are in the range of 20-25w rms. 54 is peak.

Hustler904
11-14-2006, 11:30 PM
I knew that was peak power,and what I meant by amp 1 and amp 2 was the connections on the amp itself,on the kicker amp its got it seperated for 4 channels,I run a mmats pro audio 3000.5 for the sub,I always preferred running a mono amp just for subs like they should be