PDA

View Full Version : Comparing these 2 which would be best???

oxsign
11-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Ok, my father in-law has an Avalanche that he wants to replace the factory speakers with. We plan on buying & installing them (myself) for X-mas. It'll all be running off the factory system. I'm kinda on a budget, and with needing to get 2 sets (front/rear doors) i'm limited. I was looking at these with a buget of about $150-$175max. Thx guys for your help, and if you have an idea (keeping in mind my buget) please let me know.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-opRuOKT7fS9/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=52100&c=3&s=0&cc=01&pt2=0&compareitems=113KFC1739&compareitems=130TSA1671&x=34&y=5

Lazy cliff notes; X-mas gift, father-inlaw, limited $$$, compare. :cool:

Hoodlum007
11-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Look at the Infinity Ref line of caox, i like them better then kenwood speakers.

oxsign
11-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Infinity is a great speaker, but unfortunatlly for 2 sets is out of the buget. :cool:

Railrocker
11-10-2006, 01:45 PM
I would look around a bit more I think you can do better than both of those. But if those were the only two options Id go with the kenwoods they will get louder off the factory deck.

DejaWiz
11-10-2006, 03:18 PM
2 sets of these (http://sonicelectronix.com/item_4258.html).

oxsign
11-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Those are very nice, thx for the link. Would those be powered enough with a factory stock system?? I do like those. :cool:

DejaWiz
11-10-2006, 04:00 PM
They have a fairly high sensitivity and they do sound quite nice even on 18-22w rms each.

oxsign
11-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Cool, I'll look into those. Thx for the help/info. :cool: Anyone else have any suggestions? :D

leonsv
11-11-2006, 03:12 AM
first, to run the speakers off the stock system you will need a line out converter. second, if you buy any aftermarket speakers and use the stock hu, you will need an amp...

now that we're past that, i would suggest you look into some memphis speakers they are a bit over your budget but are worth it. also, don't run any rear speakers...not worth it, just run the stock rears off the hu and run them at around 5-10% of the front speaker's volume for best performance.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1226&CFID=2552479&CFTOKEN=4823657fafcc5c66-D5DCE1ED-1422-7C6E-503E24AB2023FE34

oxsign
11-11-2006, 08:48 AM
first, to run the speakers off the stock system you will need a line out converter. second, if you buy any aftermarket speakers and use the stock hu, you will need an amp...

now that we're past that, i would suggest you look into some memphis speakers they are a bit over your budget but are worth it. also, don't run any rear speakers...not worth it, just run the stock rears off the hu and run them at around 5-10% of the front speaker's volume for best performance.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1226&CFID=2552479&CFTOKEN=4823657fafcc5c66-D5DCE1ED-1422-7C6E-503E24AB2023FE34
Sorry, but you can run speakers of a stock system without a line-out converter useing these.........
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-GM-Speaker-Harness-72-4568/sem/rpsm/oid/81021/catOid/-13124/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Ssecond, no an after market amp is not needed to run after market speakers with a fatory head unit. Thank you for the suggestions, but memphis is out of the buget so I wont be getting those. Also, this is his truck, and he does have people riding with him regularly. He wants speakers in the rear doors. This isnt the type of set-up you or I would have in our cars/trucks. He's an older guy, listens to FM radio 90% of the time. He just wants to get rid of the "crackling" sound from some bad stock speakers. I will be putting 6.5" in all foor doors, and I'll stay with in my buget doing so. If this way my truck my 2 15"s would be going into it, LOL. :cool:

leonsv
11-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Sorry, but you can run speakers of a stock system without a line-out converter useing these.........
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-GM-Speaker-Harness-72-4568/sem/rpsm/oid/81021/catOid/-13124/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Ssecond, no an after market amp is not needed to run after market speakers with a fatory head unit. Thank you for the suggestions, but memphis is out of the buget so I wont be getting those. Also, this is his truck, and he does have people riding with him regularly. He wants speakers in the rear doors. This isnt the type of set-up you or I would have in our cars/trucks. He's an older guy, listens to FM radio 90% of the time. He just wants to get rid of the "crackling" sound from some bad stock speakers. I will be putting 6.5" in all foor doors, and I'll stay with in my buget doing so. If this way my truck my 2 15"s would be going into it, LOL. :cool:

sorry i was thinking of amps when i typed the thing about the loc hehe it was late:)

also you could drive the speakers with the stock hu but it would not be very good for the speakers... if he ever turns it up too much (because the volume at the same level will be significantly less than stock speakers) there would be distortion which could damage or destroy the speakers. i always like to give speakers at least 50% of their rated rms but if he's really careful and doesn't listen to his speakers beyond normal listening levels then he should be okay

Echo42987
11-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Pioneer Revs, done deal

-Nick-

SonnyD
11-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I like those Kenwoods a bunch. They sound much better then the price suggests. I think if you could hear them in a install running off of radio power, you'd be surprised.
Regards Sonny

Notwerk
11-12-2006, 05:18 AM
I'd go with the Pioneer Revs that Dejawiz listed. Great speakers, cheap. What more do you want?

Um, you don't need LOCs or even the adapters. Just snip the factory cable and crimp on some disconnects from Radioshack.

As for needing an amp, no you don't need one. Revs are fairly sensitive, and for someone that just wants better than stock sound, it'll do. Adding an amp would be nice, for those of us who are more demanding. But that doesn't appear to be the circumstance.