PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace just the woofer from my Boston Rally's

King Alpha
11-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I have 6 1/2" Boston Rally Componant speakers in doors of my car. The passenger side woofer don't work, but the woofer on the driver side and both tweeters work fine.

I was wondering if I can just replace the 6 1/2 woofers with another brand and still use the Boston Rally's tweeters and crossover? I have no idea if the crossover is passive or not, and I'm using a Crossfire amp that puts out 75Watts RMS x 2 @ 12.5V.

Can I just find a 6 1/2 midbass woofer that takes 75Watts RMS and hook it up to the Boston Crossover? Because it's either that or finding a brand new componant system, which would seem like a waste because only one out of the four speakers don't work.

Hoodlum007
11-09-2006, 09:28 PM
it would be best to replace the mid with the same one, contact Boston see if you can get a replacement.

crow
11-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Might be worth a call or e-mail to Boston to see if they would sell you another woofer.

The problem with replacing the boston woofers with another brand is that the crossovers are designed specifically for the boston woofers. Running a different woofer with similar specs might work, but you may not be happy with the sound.

squeak9798
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
You could just replace the mids, but you would have to find one of the same impedance and that works well with the xover point and slope of the passive crossover.

Basically, it wouldn't be optimal but it would work.