PDA

View Full Version : CDT EF61, do I did all correctly?

BiGD33nS
11-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi,

I bought a year ago, CDT EF61CFi with 560 crossovers and installed them in my MY04 Neon SXT in the front doors, with the tweeters mounted near the door handle (around 18-20 inches fron the speaker) pointed toward the headlamp. I have them powered by a Phoenix Gold 4 channel amp (bridged, pushing them 125rms each).

My doors are deadened and I kept the plastic baffle thingy which makes the speaker point toward the passenger/driver and I added a wood baffle on it. I also crossed them at 70hz on the amp, the lows are crossed also at around 70hz via another amp for the subs.. and the HU is non faded to the amps.

My problem is, well, I dont have pretty much midbass. Those components are the beast peice of sound I ever had, but it feels like it has a hole on the frequancy range, like around 100hz or so, when my sum 41 cd, the drums and such.. it feels empty. I have nothing to say on the highs and lows (my subs) but it feels like my stock components were punching midbass like theres no tomorrow.

Do you have any suggestion?

Torgus
11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
i have basically the same speakers. my midbass is decent. doesn't sound as bad as yours...do your doors still vibrate alot? i'm hoping mine will improve when i deaden my doors. i'm giving mine around 160rms...Xed at around 75 and my subs are Xed at 75...

Notwerk
11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Deadening will definitely help a bit.

Thieroff
11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Midbass is higher bass regions man

80-400hz or so

You shouldn't expect anything below that from them, they just aren't made to reproduce sound below say 75hz

Deadening may help a little bit

Those particular 6.5 drivers can't move enough air to reproduce any real bass with authority

Keep in mind this is the lower middle range CDT has to offer. My HD's aren't neccessarily amazing on low end of the spectrum either, but they do produce enough low end to fill the gap

Haha, I also send mine almost 2x their rated power daily

Deaden your doors, and then see what happens

CT

BiGD33nS
11-09-2006, 08:12 PM
My front doors are already deadened, with B-Quiet Ultimate. It not that bad but I had a lift from a friend and he has a I think Type-R Comps in his car with a tiny mtx 40w x 2 amp and it felt like they were pounding hard compared to mine. They arent Xed I think.

Also, does the 560 Crossovers helps that much compared to the stock one?... I think what comes normally with the EF61CFi are the 480 or something like that.

Also Also, Where the tweeters should be pointed to? I read somewhere here a long time ago that pointing them toward the headlamp is the best. These are somewhat really bright sometimes.

Thanks

Thieroff
11-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I know the EF's come with the SatNet400s, but I don;t think it'll make much difference, being that they don't have a bandpass filter on the mid

If you want to try hit up DjDillioDon on AIM, he's a dealer

All xovers are not created equal

Point them wherever you feel comfortable, haha, pointing them towards the headlamps will seriously **** up your imaging, attentuate them if you can, there should be options of +3,0-3 on the xover

Also, are you using a stock head unit?

If you are some of them actually cut out the lower freqs as to not damge stock speakers

Also, what kind of slope do you have your amps crossover set at?

CT

BiGD33nS
11-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I already have the 560 crossovers, but I never heard the 400 crossover that came normally with them so I was comparing.

I have a Pioneer deh-7600 and I disabled the internal Xovers, my 4 channel amp (bridged to my CDT's) are Xed at 70hz HPF, and my sub amp is the same, at 70hz LPF

Thieroff
11-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Hmmm

Time for an upgrade?

CT

Torgus
11-10-2006, 12:12 AM
1st thing you should do is face the tweeters the opposite way. next try Xing over at 90 and see how it is. Giving those CDTs a little more power could help too. they can definitly take it.

theCybe
11-10-2006, 12:19 AM
If your filters aren't to blame, it's the install. :)

alteraudiousa
11-10-2006, 02:05 AM
well one you have only 125rms and thats if the PG makes that power. I would say 150rms especially for the EF-61CF. As for the 560 crossover, it has its benefits over the 400 and the 480. Handles more power, better parts used and also has no tweet protection(which i like). They do make a difference. If its possible and the amp has it, try a little bass boost in the 125hz range for them. It'll help a little but don't over do it. As for comparing them to the Tye Rs the R's have a major emphasis on the low midrange but don't sound as well rounded as CDT.

Big Dee
11-10-2006, 10:53 AM
well one you have only 125rms and thats if the PG makes that power. I would say 150rms especially for the EF-61CF. As for the 560 crossover, it has its benefits over the 400 and the 480. Handles more power, better parts used and also has no tweet protection(which i like). They do make a difference. If its possible and the amp has it, try a little bass boost in the 125hz range for them. It'll help a little but don't over do it. As for comparing them to the Tye Rs the R's have a major emphasis on the low midrange but don't sound as well rounded as CDT.

Going form 125 to 150 watts isn't going to make a difference.

I agree about the Type-Rs though. I've measured their frequency response and from about 110 or so down (maybe higher) they have huge peaks compared to the rest of the spectrum.