PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer AVIC-D2 questions

radrguy
11-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Okay so I just bought a 2006 GMC Sierra, and I'm looking to get a head unit. I want double din touch screen with navigation and nice ipod integration. I've been doing a lot of research for the last couple of weeks, especially on this forum, and I'm 99% settled on the Pioneer AVIC-D2. I know its ipod integration isn't as nice as the AVIC-Z1 or the Alpine IVA-W200 (+ compatible navigation unit), but those units cost a lot more than I'm willing to pay. And DVD playback isn't important to me, so that's okay that it doesn't have that.
People were apparently praising the AVIC-D2 when it was selling for over $1000. Now you can find it on pricegrabber for around $725 shipped, so it seems like a great deal to me. I'll add the ipod connector (CD-iB100ii) for about $50. I'm going to have everything installed professionally when I get my subs and amp so I don't screw anything up.

I have two specific questions:
1 - My truck came with XM radio, so I assume that means it must have an XM tuner. So if I want to listen to XM through the AVIC-D2, can I connect the stock antenna/tuner to the new head unit and get the same functionality? Or do I need to also buy Pioneer's XM tuner (GEX-P10XMT)? I don't want NavTraffic, I just want the full on-screen display and all that good stuff.
2 - Do you know if I can connect the various other components to this unit? Specifically I'm talking about the steering wheel controls, stock CD changer, stock rear-seat DVD system, stock microphone, Onstar, etc.

Any other thoughts/comments/concerns/questions? Most people on this forum obviously know what they're talking about, so I really appreciate any and all feedback and advice you guys have for me.
Once I get everything done I will post an update to help out anyone who has similar questions, and also to give my thoughts on the head unit.

leonsv
11-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Okay so I just bought a 2006 GMC Sierra, and I'm looking to get a head unit. I want double din touch screen with navigation and nice ipod integration. I've been doing a lot of research for the last couple of weeks, especially on this forum, and I'm 99% settled on the Pioneer AVIC-D2. I know its ipod integration isn't as nice as the AVIC-Z1 or the Alpine IVA-W200 (+ compatible navigation unit), but those units cost a lot more than I'm willing to pay. And DVD playback isn't important to me, so that's okay that it doesn't have that.
People were apparently praising the AVIC-D2 when it was selling for over $1000. Now you can find it on pricegrabber for around $725 shipped, so it seems like a great deal to me. I'll add the ipod connector (CD-iB100ii) for about $50. I'm going to have everything installed professionally when I get my subs and amp so I don't screw anything up.

I have two specific questions:
1 - My truck came with XM radio, so I assume that means it must have an XM tuner. So if I want to listen to XM through the AVIC-D2, can I connect the stock antenna/tuner to the new head unit and get the same functionality? Or do I need to also buy Pioneer's XM tuner (GEX-P10XMT)? I don't want NavTraffic, I just want the full on-screen display and all that good stuff.
2 - Do you know if I can connect the various other components to this unit? Specifically I'm talking about the steering wheel controls, stock CD changer, stock rear-seat DVD system, stock microphone, Onstar, etc.

Any other thoughts/comments/concerns/questions? Most people on this forum obviously know what they're talking about, so I really appreciate any and all feedback and advice you guys have for me.
Once I get everything done I will post an update to help out anyone who has similar questions, and also to give my thoughts on the head unit.

1- you need the pioneer adaptor
2-steering wheel controls(need an adaptor)
stock cd changer (yes, but takes a bit of work)
rear seat entertainment (i really don't know)
stock microphone (assuming for bluetooth, in which case, no)
onstar ( i seriously doubt it if it was connected to the stock hu)

radrguy
11-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks for replying man. I didn't want to have to order that tuner ($160), but I guess it's worth it so I can keep my XM.

I am going to order everything tonight and have it installed next week some time, and I'll give my take on it once it's done.