PDA

View Full Version : New to the scene, looking for a head unit!!

DrunkenWizard
11-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, I've been looking through the forum for a while and I finally decided to register. I recently got a 2000 Expedition and it has a tape deck. I need a cd player for sure. I've been liking the Premier DEH-P880PRS. What does everyone think about this unit? I don't have an amp or subs (stolen a while back in another vehicle) but hopefully I'll get a system in the future. Also where is a good place to order from online (cheap and reputable)?? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance. Jesus

Towncar
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Good headunit, but make sure you have a very solid ground for it, when installing it.

DrunkenWizard
11-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Know a good place to order one?

ultimate157
11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Know a good place to order one?

Ebay is your friend. Can get for 280+ ship.

Just make sure whenever you are installing a pioneer headunit, you disconnect the battery. Never mess with any wiring while it has power, or on.

Pioneers have a common issue where an internal ground fails, but can be avoided by having a solid chassis ground, and not being stupid (messing around with it recieving power).

DrunkenWizard
11-09-2006, 05:00 AM
Thanks a lot guys. When it comes in I'm going to get it installed at an authorized place. They should know to ground it to the chassis right?

Louisiana_CRX
11-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Not necessary...If you get a shop to do it they'll use a wiring harness and connect into your stock radio grounds because they are convenient ...most factory grounds are dirty (as in gnd source) You'll need to specify you wasnt a solid ground with the lowest resistance reading possible...I go direct to my battery..for gnd and hot wires...

DrunkenWizard
11-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Well after lots of shopping around I finally got my deck. Everywhere in town was selling this unit for $600. I ordered it from www.techronics.com for $311 with shipping and got it installed for $75. I love it. Now it makes me want to get an amp and subs again. My last amp and subs got stolen. I have a box, now I just need a couple of subs and an amp. Any recommendations? Thanks for all the help.