PDA

View Full Version : what are some "exotic" speakers?

leonsv
11-08-2006, 12:53 AM
so i'm interested in seeing some "exotic" component speakers that are almost never mentioned....so to start off here are some restrictions..

nothing you can buy at:

walmart
bestbuy
circuit city
woofersetc
sonicelectronix
onlinecarstereo
or any other large car audio stores

so basically nothing mainstream.....and i mean mainstream as ones that are often talked about on the forum, like alpine, jl, polk, rainbow, mb quart, kicker, focal, dls, dynaudio, morel etc....

and these have to be actual components....no diy :D

hmmm.....here are examples of the kind of stuff i want to see....

hybrid audio technologies lagatia and sebra (which has not come out yet)

ology audio

Phase revolution

Phass audio

etc

j3bus2k3
11-08-2006, 12:56 AM
There are some Brax components in the classifieds. Pretty much, look up any for sale thread by a member named "Hebrew Hammer"

bumpin_blazer
11-08-2006, 12:58 AM
hertz audio mille's are rare, hell anything hertz audio is. after 07' ces in jan. they won't be as much i don't think.

joetama
11-08-2006, 12:58 AM
What you mean like MaxFidelity, Seas, ScanSpeak, Vifa and things like that?

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:04 AM
What you mean like MaxFidelity, Seas, ScanSpeak, Vifa and things like that?

max fidelity is a good one, hertz also

not so much seas, scanspeak, vifa, or brax.....

expensive....but still talked about commonly

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Kind of hard to eliminate rainbow, focal, dls, dynaudio, morel, etc in the criteria. Theyve all been proven to excel in the component set arena.

Others like Scan, SEAS,MF,Vifa,etc arent widely used as sets, unless under another manufacturers name that youve already dismissed.

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:05 AM
max fidelity is a good one, hertz also

not so much seas, scanspeak, vifa, or brax.....

expensive....but still talked about commonly

Then get yourself some Milles. I have plans to drop a set in the wifeys grocery getter soon. Their accomodation plan is very nice. :)

joetama
11-08-2006, 01:07 AM
max fidelity is a good one

I have their tweeters in my car and love them... A bit harsh at 5k and 8k but very silky and smooth.....

alphakenny1
11-08-2006, 01:07 AM
ATC and Accuton aren't really talked about much. maybe cause they are expensive :D.

Notwerk
11-08-2006, 01:08 AM
http://www.macrom.it/EN/speakers/m1/m1s.61_364.htm

http://www.avisound.com/

http://www.criticalmassaudio.com/components/C652.html

http://www.phass.com/sp-series-e.htm

http://u-dimension.com/jr_comp6.htm

http://www.theautophile.com/products/GenesisNavFrame.html

Towncar
11-08-2006, 01:08 AM
dayton?

spudracer326
11-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Why limit yourself to exotic speakers ?? For exclusivity?? Just because they are exotic doesnt make them better then anything mainstream....honestly how many people have utopia Be's, or the dynaudio esotar, or f#1 status, or genesis absolutes, or rainbow reference series?? they are all mainstream(realitive to your words) and very good speakers......really better then alot of the "exotics" out there....dont limit your self for exclusivity, because it isnt always best....

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Then get yourself some Milles. I have plans to drop a set in the wifeys grocery getter soon. Their accomodation plan is very nice. :)

i really want some but can't drop that much lol.....how much are they? i hear they are $1000<

anyways, i'm not saying that rainbow, dls, morel and all those companies arn't great, all i'm saying is that they are talked about on the forum a lot and in my view, they are "mainstream" for audio folks :) so now i'm trying to find some exotic stuff that are rarely talked about.

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:11 AM
ATC and Accuton aren't really talked about much. maybe cause they are expensive :D.

lol $2500 diamond tip mids lol

joetama
11-08-2006, 01:12 AM
I want to buy a set of B&W 704's or B&W 604S3 rip the drivers out and put them in my car. But can't justify the cost....

6spdcoupe
i really want some but can't drop that much lol.....how much are they? i hear they are $1000<

anyways, i'm not saying that rainbow, dls, morel and all those companies arn't great, all i'm saying is that they are talked about on the forum a lot and in my view, they are "mainstream" for audio folks :) so now i'm trying to find some exotic stuff that are rarely talked about.

SRP is $1999

Keep in mind limiting yourself to items with exclusivity will yield a higher price range to start. Also the limitation of repair/replacement if need be. I would personally stick with something more 'common' that suits your needs. Just my $.02

kotec123
oops bump...hahaha

alphakenny1
also "talked about much" means nothing. its all about who owns them. the denon dct-1 (remember this conversation, lol), i would consider "exotic." but its talked about a number of times on the forums.

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Why limit yourself to exotic speakers ?? For exclusivity?? Just because they are exotic doesnt make them better then anything mainstream....honestly how many people have utopia Be's, or the dynaudio esotar, or f#1 status, or genesis absolutes, or rainbow reference series?? they are all mainstream(realitive to your words) and very good speakers......really better then alot of the "exotics" out there....dont limit your self for exclusivity, because it isnt always best....

i'm just looking for interesting speakers lol....it's not that i'm "only" looking at exotic stuff...it's just that i know all these multi thousand dollar speakers are great, and that's the problem...what's the point in talking about the same speakers over and over again?

bumpin_blazer
11-08-2006, 01:14 AM

yes, yes it is;). i've gotten my setup finalized and i'm working on the delivery time frame this week:D. i probably won't have em' til 07' but i can wait:D. high energy comps/coaxials and mille 12"=mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm:yumyum:

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:15 AM
also "talked about much" means nothing. its all about who owns them. the denon dct-1 (remember this conversation, lol), i would consider "exotic." but its talked about a number of times on the forums.

How bout this one? :D

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/DenonDCT.jpg

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:18 AM
i'm just looking for interesting speakers lol....it's not that i'm "only" looking at exotic stuff...it's just that i know all these multi thousand dollar speakers are great, and that's the problem...what's the point in talking about the same speakers over and over again?

Could just take these off my hands...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/252000-252999/252930_96_full.jpg

alphakenny1
11-08-2006, 01:19 AM
How bout this one? :D

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/DenonDCT.jpg

nah i wouldn't consider that "exotic", i got about 20 of those at my house :p: .

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:21 AM
hmm....i'll make my self a bit more clear lol, what i am classifying as exotic in context of this thread are those that are rare and RARELY TALKED ABOUT. of course there are plenty of well known exotics like the rainbow reference, alpine f1, mcintosh, etc... but i'm not learning anything new about car audio from talking about them again and again, if i wanted to do that, i can just search. right now, i'm interested in getting to know some less famous companies that make great equipment.

thanks for the contributions guys:)

oh and how much do those macrom comps cost? looks tasty :yumyum:

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:21 AM
double post lol

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:23 AM

lol, still wanting one i see lol

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Could just take these off my hands...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/252000-252999/252930_96_full.jpg

if i could only pull $2000 out of my @$$ :D

so i hear you carry morel piccolos, can you pm me with a price, i would appreciate it

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:26 AM
nah i wouldn't consider that "exotic", i got about 20 of those at my house :p: .

Ha ! Prove it. :p

Got these too?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/Nak700.jpg

:D

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:28 AM
if i could only pull $2000 out of my @$$ :D

so i hear you carry morel piccolos, can you pm me with a price, i would appreciate it

Nah...$1150 shipped and insured. ;)

I thought you wanted a component set, the Picollos are just tweets...

Notwerk
11-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Macroms are pricey, same range as Morel. But it seems they only offer the EXT as drivers, not as a component set. Too bad, the crossover was gorgeous. The M1s are in the $600 range, I think, with the EXT set (apparently no longer offered) near $900. Distributor is in Canada, last I knew.

Always wanted a set if AVIs, alas no dealer down here.

Is it kosher to throw Oz in here?

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:29 AM

Got these too?

CLEAN!!!!

i like it....is that a g35? (i recognize the temp controls and aluminum trim) nice car lol

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Thanks, yes it is.

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Thanks, yes it is.

price of piccolos?:D

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:35 AM
PM sent, but dont you want a component set?

springy101
11-08-2006, 01:41 AM
6spdcoupe, do you have the nicest sounding system ever or what?

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:43 AM
6spdcoupe, do you have the nicest sounding system ever or what?

Unfortunately I would have to say...not even close.

alphakenny1
11-08-2006, 01:44 AM

Got these too?

dang i don't want to go through the vault i got 1 mile under the house :D.

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:45 AM
PM sent, but dont you want a component set?

thanks, good price! includes shipping right?

also i am open to options....

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:46 AM
dang i don't want to go through the vault i got 1 mile under the house :D.

Do it ! I wanna see ! :)

6spdcoupe
11-08-2006, 01:47 AM
thanks, good price! includes shipping right?

also i am open to options....

Yes, but then youll need mids and either an active crossover, or some passives...

leonsv
11-08-2006, 01:49 AM
Yes, but then youll need mids and either an active crossover, or some passives...

yeah got that covered, been planning my system for a while with the help of alphakenny and npdang over at diyma.

Notwerk
11-08-2006, 02:05 AM
More exotics:

http://www.rs-audio.de/

http://www.audiodevelopment.it/eng/car/elencocar.html

I know I'm forgetting some...

SQChevy
11-08-2006, 12:34 PM

I got the Utopia Be's. Their tweeters, 6.5" midrange, 8" front sub. They are phenominal. I know 4 of my friends that run these same components and all of us have some of the best systems world wide. Three of them have been in magazines. I hope to be the next one.

3.5Max6spd
11-08-2006, 12:46 PM
I got the Utopia Be's. Their tweeters, 6.5" midrange, 8" front sub. They are phenominal. I know 4 of my friends that run these same components and all of us have some of the best systems world wide. Three of them have been in magazines. I hope to be the next one.

have you've competed outside the country?

computerparts
11-08-2006, 02:10 PM
I was going to say RS Audio but someone beat me to it. Also, Canton, Phaze Linear, Celestra, Monitor. Rockford Type RF, Pioneer ODR, Sony XES while those brands are mainstream, those particular lines most certainly are not and yes they had components sets, some were special order. Focal Be most definitely. Can't think of any others.

Crown_amps
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
hertz audio mille's are rare, hell anything hertz audio is. after 07' ces in jan. they won't be as much i don't think.

a dealer in my town sells both home audio hertz audio and car audio

i heard the mille comp set and woah......they have a **** load of sq and dont lack midbass

only thing is they are so much $$$$$$ but you get what you pay for

chh777
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
I know where to get a set of AVI BSM 160s (drivers only; no xovers) for $300 shipped. Retail on these components is over $1K (albeit with the xovers). These would be great for active setup. Not extremely "exotic" but a steal for sure.

I was going to buy these myself but a death in my family has changed things. If you're interested I'll hook you up...

so i'm interested in seeing some "exotic" component speakers that are almost never mentioned....so to start off here are some restrictions..

nothing you can buy at:

walmart
bestbuy
circuit city
woofersetc
sonicelectronix
onlinecarstereo
or any other large car audio stores

so basically nothing mainstream.....and i mean mainstream as ones that are often talked about on the forum, like alpine, jl, polk, rainbow, mb quart, kicker, focal, dls, dynaudio, morel etc....

and these have to be actual components....no diy :D

hmmm.....here are examples of the kind of stuff i want to see....

hybrid audio technologies lagatia and sebra (which has not come out yet)

ology audio

Phase revolution

Phass audio

etc

mavster
12-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I know where to get a set of AVI BSM 160s (drivers only; no xovers) for $300 shipped. Retail on these components is over $1K (albeit with the xovers). These would be great for active setup. Not extremely "exotic" but a steal for sure.

I was going to buy these myself but a death in my family has changed things. If you're interested I'll hook you up...

Holy **** dude...thanks for raising a dead thread...thats over a year old...

yunvme666
12-26-2007, 08:37 PM
lol nice.....

JimJ
12-28-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm surprised no one brought up Audio Technology/Skaaning...

There are plenty of not-commonly-talked about speakers, I don't know of any that would work in an auto environment - don't think Fostex's, Lowthers or Visatons would do too well :D

benzmansl65amg
12-28-2007, 08:21 PM
old

JimJ
12-28-2007, 08:42 PM
old

This has been established...thanks.

squeak9798
12-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm surprised no one brought up Audio Technology/Skaaning...

There are plenty of not-commonly-talked about speakers, I don't know of any that would work in an auto environment - don't think Fostex's, Lowthers or Visatons would do too well :D

Sure they would.

Move the engine to the rear and build a nice folded horn or TL into the engine compartment :D