PDA

View Full Version : q logic kick panels?

SRim23
11-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Whoever installed the system in my car before i bought it kinda cut too much sheet metal off the door trying to install speakers in them making the ones in there fit awkwardly so i was considering paying the 100 bucks on ebay for the q logic kick panels

does anyone have experience with these, are they worth the money? pros cons of buying them. can anyone give me any insight on these

azbass
11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
they can be great After you beef em up with some deadener, and be carefull because most of them fit 5.25"s

but you can also make your own

or you could make a wood baffle over the hold in teh door and make a new hole in that

xluben
11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
i saw some at a local shop and was very disappointed with the quality.

very flimsy. not high quality at all.

if they were $20 they might be worth it (with enough deadener in them)

but for $100+ i'd pass.

maybe just make an mdf baffle for the door.

squeak9798
11-08-2006, 12:01 AM
I'd rather put $60 into fiberglass materials and a weekend's time into building my own.

The Q-logics, as mentioned, are extremely flimsy and most only fit up to 5.25" drivers. You can strengthen them with deadening material and such....but even then, a lot of the one's I've listened to weren't aimed very well and caused a low soundstage with a lot of rainbow effect.

Build your own if you have the time.

SRim23
11-08-2006, 12:02 AM
yeah i read they fit 6 1/8 which i guess is pretty much 5.25 cause i havent seen too many 6 1/8 mids lol but also when i took the door panel off i noticed that it looks like moisture may be getting into the door. the mdf baffle that was made was shredded as if it were just cardboard also i dont know how much experience you have with the honda civic but the window doesnt clear the magnet on the speaker too well and can only roll my window down like 3/4 of the way also a reason why i was considering them.

so you say as long as i hit it with a layer of dynamat they are ok? is the tweeter imaging ok?

SRim23
11-08-2006, 12:29 AM
is q logic the only brand that makes these? my cousin had some in his 92 mustang i thought were pretty good, but i was 11 and didnt know any better though ha ha so who knows if they were or not

dak0ta_g33k
11-08-2006, 12:35 AM
q-logic is the only maker of prefabbed kicks i've found. got mine for just the convenience of installing my front component set. biggest caveat is that i cannot use my parking brake unless i pull the kickpanel away from the PB pedal.

SRim23
11-08-2006, 12:39 AM
well my parking brake is by my shifter so i dont think id have that problem. you like the quality though? they sound pretty good

ramos
11-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Q logic's can be made to sound good . But remember they aren't sealed . They are open backed , and meant to fit tight to the carpet to help seal them . But by the time your done making them sturdy enough ( they are plastic ) you will have spent more than you could have built a good set for :)

mlstrass
11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Why not seal up the hole in your door with some 1/16" sheetmetal. Attach it with self tapping screws.

Then make a mounting ring out of MDF to move your speakers out, so the windows will roll down. Paint the MDF so it's water proof, deaden it all and your DONE!!!

squeak9798
11-08-2006, 05:56 PM
http://usdaudio.com/products/kp.php

USD makes some universal prefabs. Not sure how much they are or how well they'll fit your specific vehicle....but I have much more trust in USD than I do Qlogic.

Why not just make your own ?

iamamp3pimp
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
he probably doesnt wanna.

ehhhh I would. hell i need to for mine.

if you are gonna do 8's, are they better in the door, or in the kick?

Megalomaniac
11-08-2006, 07:15 PM
pay someon the forum to make some for you

Corey69
11-08-2006, 11:09 PM

Ive seen alot of people with 8's in their doors.

Wkbdkid
11-09-2006, 12:44 AM
If your window hits the magnet, then adding that 3/4" baffle would probably eliminate it hittin. Hell im sure someone on the forum has or can get acces to a civic to make you some kicks.
$100 to a forum member > $100 to Q-logic.

ramos
11-09-2006, 07:07 AM

Depends on the car really , but most of the times larger drivers are better in the doors . They usually want / need a lot more airspace than you can get out of kicks :)

squeak9798
11-09-2006, 05:57 PM
<--- Has 8's in kicks :)

ramos
11-10-2006, 06:10 AM
<--- Has 8's in kicks :)

You **** :p: I don't think I have ever ask you what kind of car you have squeak. So what kind of car ? :)

squeak9798
11-10-2006, 07:12 PM
You **** :p: I don't think I have ever ask you what kind of car you have squeak. So what kind of car ? :)

'96 Olds LSS

Not much more I could ask for in a car in terms of having the room to pretty much do whatever in the hell I want as far as the setup is concerned. The design of the car isn't extremely prohibitive, saves having to do a shitload of modifications or being limited by the car itself.

ramos
11-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Nice , wish I had all that room :)

faulkton
11-13-2006, 07:32 AM
i got some qlogics for the convenience of them. I just added some foam baffles and then covered the baffles with a few layers of damlifier to seal them up.

They arent that great, but they arent that terrible either. They were really simple to install and when i sell my car will come out very easy, leaving the stock speakers still in place.