PDA

View Full Version : Where'd the bass go?

scrapiron
11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey guys I just recently got rid of my 1986 pontiac firebird and got a 2004 4runner. I had an excelent system in the firebird and it sounded great!

Well i recently transfered all my stuff to the 4runner. I just had to modify a few things a little bit. Everything works and sounds great except, I am just not getting the hard htitting/booming bass that i got out of the firebird. I know that firebirds are like megaphones as far as the individual accoustics inside. That may be part of the problem. I have messed with all the settings on the amp and it doesnt sound much better. I have a 1000 watt 2 channel amp with 2 10" dual voice coil subs in a sealed enclosure with .75 cubic feet of airspace. Everything custom built by me.

I am thinking that if i were to get a bandpass box for them, mayb that will fix my problem.

Basically i was wondering if anyone has any ideas about why my subs dont "thump" as loud as they did in the firebird. I would appriciate any info. Thanx

Here are some pics of the system in my old firebird and in my new 4runner.

amp rack in firebird:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/scrapironfish/myamprack.gif

custom built speaker box and subs in firebird:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/scrapironfish/myspeakers.gif

Now here is the same system installed in the 4runner:

4runner head unit and equilizer:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/scrapironfish/4runnerstereo.jpg

amp rack in 4runner:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/scrapironfish/4runneramps.jpg

iamamp3pimp
11-07-2006, 05:04 PM
maybe its an HU setting that was reset when u disconnected it from the firebird to the truck.

Volenti
11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Your subs slammed in the firebird because they were loaded correctly (and it was a big horn, like you said).

Having the subs just behind the back seat like that in the 4runner isn't loading them optimally, in addition to the fact that 2 sealed 10''s aren't going to excite the larger volume of the 4runner all that much in any case. Optimal loading is having the subs all the way towards the back of the car, with about 4''-6' of clearance between the subs and the tailgate, or the box all the way back with the subs facing up, either way will slam better than in the current position.

A correctly designed bandpass enclosure would be louder, as would vented, the choice would depend on the which the subs perform better in.

scrapiron
11-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Personal thanx to Volenti. and thats kinda what i was thinking. correct me if im wrong but when it comes to subs, Their main goal is is to MOVE AIR. and now i have alot more air to move? So i basically sat my speakers in the "middle of a parking lot" (the 4runner) where before they were "in a closet" (the firebird) So i understand what your saying if i move them closer to the rear i create this little air pocket for the subs to play in. and when the subs move that little pocket of air, it moves all the air in a big SUV more efficently. Right?

Do u think it has anything to do with the way i have my speakers wired? The dual 4 ohm voice coils allow me to set them to 2 or 8 ohm operation. I have each of them set to 2 ohms. And i am running them at 2 ohms stereo on the amp. My amp is not 1 ohm stable or else i would bridge them.

Anyways, Im still tuning my amp little here little there. I just adjusted the sub-sonic frequency knob, gain, and high pass crossover and it helped alot as far as the distortion. But it is just nothing like the way it sounded in the firebird. It pounded in the firebird with no distortion!!! I was really thinking i could just transfer this equipment into the 4runner from my firebird and sound pretty much the same.

But also now that i have the room, i also thought about getting 2 more 10" subs for a total of 4. And repalce my existing 1000 watt amp with 2 mono block amps which i would bridge each set of subs down to 1 ohm loads on each amp and i would be set!

Again thanks for the help ill let u guys know what i end up doing.

Immacomputer
11-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Check and make sure they're not wired out of phase with each other.

To check this, just reverse the polarity of one of the subs. If they were wired correctly, this should kill output. If they were wired incorrectly, you should see a large improvement.

scrapiron
11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Check and make sure they're not wired out of phase with each other.

To check this, just reverse the polarity of one of the subs. If they were wired correctly, this should kill output. If they were wired incorrectly, you should see a large improvement.

I checked... its all good. Polarity is correct.

Volenti
11-08-2006, 04:13 AM
Personal thanx to Volenti. and thats kinda what i was thinking. correct me if im wrong but when it comes to subs, Their main goal is is to MOVE AIR. and now i have alot more air to move? So i basically sat my speakers in the "middle of a parking lot" (the 4runner) where before they were "in a closet" (the firebird)

This is correct.

So i understand what your saying if i move them closer to the rear i create this little air pocket for the subs to play in. and when the subs move that little pocket of air, it moves all the air in a big SUV more efficently. Right?

Yea pretty much.

Do u think it has anything to do with the way i have my speakers wired? The dual 4 ohm voice coils allow me to set them to 2 or 8 ohm operation. I have each of them set to 2 ohms. And i am running them at 2 ohms stereo on the amp. My amp is not 1 ohm stable or else i would bridge them.

You could try setting the subs to 8 ohm and bridging them both on to the amp (in paralell) but I don't think that is the problem.

Immacomputer
11-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I checked... its all good. Polarity is correct.

Did you check with a 9v as well as just flip them?

mlstrass
11-08-2006, 01:35 PM
I'd go for a few 15's to fill that size vehicle, and port them.

scrapiron
11-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah i thought about getting 15" subs. I know that would do the job. And i will probably get some... later

Well i moved my subs to the rear like volenti said to and it definetly helped alot.

If i leave them there i have alot of customizing to do. Not a big deal. i like doing this sort of work

I am also STILL messing with all the settings i have. I havent messed with the EQ much, I have 2 frequency's and the bass level i can adjust + or - 15 DB. ( i wish i could give you the actual frequency's but the #'s on the EQ are kinda rubbed off, yes i need a new one) I set these settings when the system was in the firebird and had both of them at about -12 db. Everytime in the past when ever i moved those 2 frequencys even a tiny bit, i got alot of distortion.

Well today i moved one almost all the way up and the other alll the way down. And adjusted the bass level and it made a huge difference. BUT STILL, my subs just dont satisfy me like they used to. Ill figure something out . These 10" subs are very powerfull extended low frequency drivers and there is no reason i cant get these to really slam in the 4runner.

But thanx alot guys yall helping alot.

amartin_72
11-08-2006, 10:23 PM
what brand are the subs? Just building a new ported box would help alot.

scrapiron
11-09-2006, 04:49 PM
They are digital audio Which are made by audiobahn.

http://www.digitalaudioinc.com

scrapiron
11-16-2006, 07:47 PM
So, i tested the capacitor and the microfarad reading on the capacitor tester was all over the place. If i am correct on a 1/2 farad cap. The tester reading should stay around 500,000 microfarad. So i figure its bad. I have had this capacitor for about 5-6 years. ANY IDEA ON LIFE EXPECTANCY OF CAPACITORS? There was also a very minute amount of dried up residue, white in color.

Needless to say, I disconnected it. But it DIDNT FIX MY PROBLEM. After another week of driving. I am starting to notice something. The subs will be sounding pretty good then all of a sudden its like, the gain got turned down, or like the polarity switched, its really wierd and kinda hard to explain exactly how the bass changes, it happneds intermitently. Sometimes when i take a corner to hard or accelerate from a stop faster than normal.

I am only guessing but i think... That i am having some sort of power/current issue here. Either that or my subwoofer amp is ****ed up.

Who knows, mayb a FUSE is partially blown, only letting a small amout of current to pass intermitemtly. I have had this happen once before but symptoms were different. luckily fuses are easy to check, ill do that tomorrow.

WHAT DO U THINK GUYS?

pwnt by pat
11-16-2006, 07:52 PM
volenti, How's the multi-pipe silent evap cooler running?

phantom240
11-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Ive never heard of a fuse "partially blowing" Maybe you have a problem with the signal going to the amp?

scrapiron
11-16-2006, 10:10 PM
So if its a problem with the signal to the amps... then it could be any number of the following things, head unit, equilizer, RCA cables, In that order?

scrapiron
12-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I got bass again!!! Thanks for all your help guys!!!

I knew it was definetley a " air space inside the vehicle" problem. So i ditched My old custom made sealed box and bought a bandpass box. Loaded my subs into it... and PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I knew i could get these subs to sound good in the 4runner. I could barely fit my dual voice coil subs through the window of the box.

The result has been nothing less than OBNOXOUS BASS. of course i have some remodeling to do now in order to make the install more custom. Such as re-designing my amp rack, running wires where they should be, etc.

I also want to replace all 4 door speakers. If anyone has or knows where i can find step by step instructions for removal of door panels front and rear, i would greatly appriciate it.

Also now with "king kong in my trunk" I have new rattles appearing on the outside of the 4runner. 1 thing i loved about the firebird is its built like a tank and NEVER rattled. Anyways its mostly the gas tank door, and the license plate. Any clever ideas for fixing those rattles?

Well guys im so glad i was able to figure this out. I thank all of you for your help!

I WILL POST PICS SOON!

Scrapiron.:cool: :veryexci:

scrapiron
01-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Here are pics of new bandpass box. Dont judge my install too much. I still have lots of work to do its a ***** transfering a system to another car, but i have fun doing it.

Also u can see inside the box and see the back of the speakers. This is because they are dual voice coil subs, they are almost too big for this box. I think i will put something behind the port so u cant see inside the box.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/scrapironfish/4runnerspeakerbox.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/scrapironfish/4runnerampsandspeaker.jpg

truckstoy
01-02-2007, 04:45 PM
this might help
http://people.clarkson.edu/~calisec/4runner/front%20rear%20door%20assembly.pdf

it is very easy to do

you should check out http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ good forum for our trucks

scrapiron
01-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks truckstoy. That will definetly help.

spacegear
01-04-2007, 09:32 AM
i experienced the same thing. got my system in my bro's HB and transfered it to a van. i barely hear the thump. n i thot a new box would do things right. m still saving for that F*cking enclosure.