PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Need To Build My First Box?

chartman18
11-06-2006, 03:46 AM
My friend/neighbor supposedly he says has all the woodworking machinery needed to cut/make a subwoofer box, so thats settled. I will be getting a huge sheet of 3/4z MDF wood enough to make 2 boxes (but only need one), for about $25 tops, and apparently I need screws, drill and thats all I really know.

Since Im a beginner, Im not sure what kind of glue or whatever Ill need to hold the wood together, then screw it together afterwords, I dont know what 'polyfill' is, nor what else I may need to make a good first box. Other than carpet, machinery, drill, screws and wood, what else do I need?

Thanks if you can help me out.

Pyro_By_Nature
11-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Titebond original or titebond II woodglue.

chartman18
11-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Titebond original or titebond II woodglue.

Alright, can I get that at Lowes? (Trying to make a one-stop trip for all my materials) And Im assuming thats glue used to hold the wood together before screwing them together?

supa_c
There is a thread floating around here with all the necessary items you will need.
search for it, bound to pop up

xbdrx
I use Elmers wood glue, but it really doesnt matter what kind. As long as the box isn't smaller than recommended, you wont need polyfill. Make sure you drill out each holes before you sink in the screws...or you will split the wood. You should also get some liquad nails or something to seal up the inside of the box.

chartman18
11-06-2006, 03:58 AM
I use Elmers wood glue, but it really doesnt matter what kind. As long as the box isn't smaller than recommended, you wont need polyfill. Make sure you drill out each holes before you sink in the screws...or you will split the wood. You should also get some liquad nails or something to seal up the inside of the box.

Alright, if the subwoofer is a 12" Type-R (I know, another one, lol) with a custom 2.5cu.ft. at 32 hz, that shouldnt require any polyfill? Alright thanks for clearing that up.

Elmers Wood Glue/Titebond Original Wood Glue/Titebond II Wood Glue - for the wood. Alright cool.

What exactly is liquid nails?

And I will be sure to drill out holes for the screws so it doesnt split the wood. Thanks.

Anybody else? Ideas?

supa_c
11-06-2006, 03:59 AM
The cheap-o $2 tube of silicone/caulk will work just fine.
Liquid nails is the devil

Pyro_By_Nature
11-06-2006, 04:03 AM
Liquid nails is an adheisive, people often use to seal boxes.It's what I use.But let me warn you, DO NOT get that stuff on your skin.Or you'll have a fun time getting it off ;)

One time, in summer when I was building a mortar rack out in the shop (for fireworks, spec. launching 1.4g shells) it was hot as hell outside, so naturally I had shorts on.I got some on my leg.I had to pick that **** out of my leg hairs, ****ING hurt! I've spent an hour at a sink before trying to get it off.Usually it takes 1-4 days.

supa_c
11-06-2006, 04:07 AM
And that is why we call it the devil..

chartman18
11-06-2006, 04:07 AM
Haha, nice story. Whats that stuff called when you look at a corner of wood, theres white/yellow-ish rubber-ized material, Im assuming thats silicone/caulk? And after I glue the corners/wood and screw it in, is it better to also add more glue to the corner on the inside to 'finalize' it?

supa_c
11-06-2006, 04:11 AM
Yes, its there to seal it all in. Adding more wont do any damage, but you still need to seal it up with the silicone.

lil azn 06
12-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Hate to bring an old thread back to life but you can glue together pieces of wood with liquid nails right? Or is it better to use wood glue?

bjfish11
12-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Use wood glue. Then just use some sort of caulking to seal it up. Although if you had good cuts/joints the extra sealant is not necessary, but it definately wont hurt.