PDA

View Full Version : can i make a crossover

500000watts
11-05-2006, 11:58 AM
a buddy of mine got a component set but it didint come with high pass crossover for the tweeters.

is there a way i could rig up a small capicitor to make a high pass crossover?

or what would i have to do?

Megalomaniac
11-05-2006, 12:15 PM
a buddy of mine got a component set but it didint come with high pass crossover for the tweeters.

is there a way i could rig up a small capicitor to make a high pass crossover?

or what would i have to do?

:eek:

iceteebone
11-05-2006, 12:23 PM
:eek:

i take it you don't know what a capacitor is? :crap:

you could probably use one of those bass blocker passives that go in-line with the positive input on the tweeter

500000watts
11-05-2006, 12:48 PM
i do know what a cap is, i just was reading something on the12volt.com and it was sayings something about a highpass crossover and a cap and coil. but i didint understand it very well so i was wondering if someone here could explain it a little better, take a look maybe you can help me understand.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross6db.asp#hp

iceteebone
11-05-2006, 12:51 PM
i do know what a cap is, i just was reading something on the12volt.com and it was sayings something about a highpass crossover and a cap and coil. but i didint understand it very well so i was wondering if someone here could explain it a little better, take a look maybe you can help me understand.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross6db.asp#hp

i was talking to the other guy ;)

ever consider running active?

Megalomaniac
11-05-2006, 01:00 PM
i think it would be in your best interest to go active.

500000watts
11-05-2006, 03:06 PM
whats active?

Notwerk
11-05-2006, 03:18 PM
building a passive crossover is pretty complicated.

You can get an electronic crossover (active) like this: http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLAMCD360

That would allow you to set the crossover point to your liking through a variable dial. You can also set levels so you can match the output of the tweeter vs. the mid to your liking. Going active would be much easier than building a passive. All you have to do is plug the crossover in to your setup and play around with the settings until you find what works.

You could theoretically accomplish the same thing with a good four-channel amp by putting one tweeter or mid on each channel and setting the crossovers and levels on the amplifier.

Megalomaniac
11-05-2006, 03:24 PM
building a passive crossover is pretty complicated.

You can get an electronic crossover (active) like this: http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLAMCD360

That would allow you to set the crossover point to your liking through a variable dial. You can also set levels so you can match the output of the tweeter vs. the mid to your liking. Going active would be much easier than building a passive. All you have to do is plug the crossover in to your setup and play around with the settings until you find what works.

You could theoretically accomplish the same thing with a good four-channel amp by putting one tweeter or mid on each channel and setting the crossovers and levels on the amplifier.

whats active?

thats active:)

to clarrify, an active crossover will split the signal on the RCAs(before the amp) while passive splits the signal through the speaker wires after the amp

enzowho
11-05-2006, 04:13 PM
You could make a set of passive crossovers, but as other peeps have suggested its going to be fairly complicated. You will need a cap and inductor to get a good bandpass frequency response, and if it doesn't sound quite right you will have to design and build new ones.

As others have suggested go active. Depending on how closely your friend listens to music, he will probably need a basic eq too. Heck you might even find somebody on this forum to help you tune it, who knows.

Your final option is to do an ebay/forum search for the same component set. Often you can find just the crossovers for sale for only a few bucks.

squeak9798
11-05-2006, 06:15 PM
My first question is; Why did your friends component set not come with a highpass for the tweeter ??

Megalomaniac
11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
My first question is; Why did your friends component set not come with a highpass for the tweeter ??

thats a good question:eyebrow:

500000watts
11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
no idea. i asked him the same thing.

so it sounds like it will be hard to make a crossover then to just go buy one

squeak9798
11-05-2006, 09:36 PM
What kind of speakers are they?

Did they come with any crossovers ?

Ctminime
11-05-2006, 09:39 PM
i havent heard of a component set just NOT coming with a xover

thch
11-06-2006, 12:45 AM
active requires more amplifiers.
passives require a capacitor, and possibly an inductor, and maybe some resistors if the speakers need level-matching.

a single cap gives a "first order" response. basically, the "impedance" of the cap increases as frequency decreases. it effectively starts to block the bass by preventing extra current from flowing. the inductor does something similar, except it is wired in parallel with the speaker. its impedance decreases as frequency decreases. this allows the inductor to steal some of the current that does get through the capacitance, allowing even less to the speaker.

and this can go on in stages -- capacitor in series, inductor in parallel. take this output and put a capacitor in series and so on.

JimJ
11-06-2006, 12:46 AM
i havent heard of a component set just NOT coming with a xover

Rainbow References do :)

Notwerk
11-06-2006, 01:31 AM
There are some online dealers here and there that sell "active" sets, i.e. DIY driver packages. I figured that's what this was about.

Flipx99
11-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Passive crossovers are expensive to build. I