PDA

View Full Version : mounting shock sensor

ajm
11-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Back when worked at circuit city (roadshop sales) I got a python 871xp due to getting free install + the alarm its self at cost. The guy that did all of the alarm installs and knew his stuff or seemed to did the install. The range on this thing *****. Maybe 2-300 feet if im lucky. But heres why im making this thread. The shock sensor is just ziptied to a loom under the dash and is very inconsistant. Even at max sensitivity (ive played around with it some) I can shake the hell out of my truck and it wont go off, I can then hit it on the fender and it will go off, then I can hit the bed and it wont go off. Im guessing this is due to bad mounting of the sensor so can anyone reccomend a place to mount it? Its in an extended cab 99 f150.

azbass
11-05-2006, 12:03 AM
i usually mount em to the steering column. or somwhere on stock loom as close to the center of the car as possibal.

Justin89T
11-05-2006, 12:59 AM
DEI recommends zip tyeing it to a thick wire loom. I like screwing it into metal, I find its MUCH more sensitive, and accurate. Very difficult to find a good place to mount it like that, I very rarely do.

azbass
11-05-2006, 01:01 AM
you need to mount it to somthing that gives (moves)

Worlddre
11-05-2006, 01:04 AM
:word: i put them on some stock loom

ajm
11-05-2006, 01:04 AM
I will check it out tomorrow and see what I can do. Do you guys have any reccomendations for the range problem? Ive checked the antenna wiring and slack in the wire is ran up across the headliner so that crosses out that problem. Maybe its just the alarm its self?

azbass
11-05-2006, 01:05 AM
is the antenna just a wire? or is there a box thing on the end of it?

ajm
11-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Its an actual antenna. A box maybe 1" x 1" (rough estimate) with a plastic thing comming off of it thats maybe another 1".

Chevyaudio
I either mount them to the steering column...or a thick loom under the center of the dash. I found just testing around on my truck that mounting to the metal under the dash doesnt work well. Works great if you mount it in the kick on metal...but only for that side of the car.

azbass
thats an FM antenna. make sure its pointed up

azbass
11-05-2006, 01:09 AM
if pointed sideways (left to right) on windshield it will cut down range

azbass
11-05-2006, 01:10 AM
also how is the slack on the wire tied up?

ajm
11-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Ill try to make this clear as I can. The wire is ran from the brain which he said he put behind the fuse box "and no one is going to get to it" and just from view it seems pretty **** hard to get to. I cant even see the brain. The wire runs wherever through the dash, up the pillar to the headliner. The anteanna is mounted with the "1" tip" facing down towards the hood and the slack is pulled across where the headliner/windshield meet towards the passenger side.

azbass
11-05-2006, 01:22 AM
how close is the antenna to the A pillar?

ajm
11-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Its directly in the center of the windshield.

saj21187
11-07-2006, 01:13 AM
is there any type of window tint where the antenna is..that will effect range. Also my 881xp didnt get the greatest range either. In parking lots probably 300 ft or so...the trick where you touch the antenna to your chin works well..will add approx 100 feet sometimes. If the range is that big of a problem, you could always upgrade to the python 990. Thats what i ended up doing, and all you have to switch out is the antenna(uses same plug/harness as 871/881) and the brain which uses same harnesses as well. very easy to do. As far as the sensitivity leave the one mounted like it is and just run another shock sensor off it. You could just run the other one towards the back wall of the truck. How big is it? Extended cab, crew cab? I mean you dont want it too sensative to where wind and rain will set it off cause that will get to be a pain in the *** but if it is a bigger truck it might need an extra one to get the sensitivity you are looking for.

ajm
11-07-2006, 03:13 AM
is there any type of window tint where the antenna is..that will effect range. Also my 881xp didnt get the greatest range either. In parking lots probably 300 ft or so...the trick where you touch the antenna to your chin works well..will add approx 100 feet sometimes. If the range is that big of a problem, you could always upgrade to the python 990. Thats what i ended up doing, and all you have to switch out is the antenna(uses same plug/harness as 871/881) and the brain which uses same harnesses as well. very easy to do. As far as the sensitivity leave the one mounted like it is and just run another shock sensor off it. You could just run the other one towards the back wall of the truck. How big is it? Extended cab, crew cab? I mean you dont want it too sensative to where wind and rain will set it off cause that will get to be a pain in the *** but if it is a bigger truck it might need an extra one to get the sensitivity you are looking for.

Its an extended cab f150. Im just looking for something to where if it get hits fairly hard it will go off. Reason being (im sure most of you know) all thats needed to do to break into these trucks is jam a screw driver in the door lock, hit it with a decent amount of force and once the lock "breaks into the door" lift up.

Shyne151
11-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I always goto a thick wire harness or the steering column.. if it's zip-tied, make sure they are on there tightly.

explorer2
11-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Its an extended cab f150. Im just looking for something to where if it get hits fairly hard it will go off. Reason being (im sure most of you know) all thats needed to do to break into these trucks is jam a screw driver in the door lock, hit it with a decent amount of force and once the lock "breaks into the door" lift up.

On most of them (most fords) its even easier than that, leaves no damage and takes about 30 seconds to pop the lock, And it would never set off a shock sensor that wasnt on its max. setting.

saj21187
11-07-2006, 07:24 PM
On most of them (most fords) its even easier than that, leaves no damage and takes about 30 seconds to pop the lock, And it would never set off a shock sensor that wasnt on its max. setting.

But the alarm would still go off...

Shyne151
11-07-2006, 10:00 PM

Door trigger will be set off.