PDA

View Full Version : is this true

Magnatus
11-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Some guy told me that someone can take a regular car battery and put it aginst your car to shorten out your alarm system

springy101
11-04-2006, 02:19 PM
like put wires from the pos and neg and touch em to the side of your car?

Magnatus
11-04-2006, 08:54 PM
no he just said if you get a car battery and touch the car it will short out cause your ground is connected to your vehicle and your ground is connected to the battery also

JimJ
11-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I'd like to see someone try that...and run as sparks fly in his hands from shorting out the battery :D

DaGh0st
11-04-2006, 08:58 PM
wouldnt the paint stop that from happening?

worth a try...tell us what happens :D

JimJ
11-04-2006, 09:01 PM
wouldnt the paint stop that from happening?

Ehh, when I jump start vehicles I always make sure they're seperated by a good bit...I'm not in a mood to find out just how good of an insulator they are :)

explorer2
11-04-2006, 09:59 PM
It could potentially mess with any sensitive computers, but most likely it would just burn the paint, this is why you never let vehicles touch when jump starting and always connect the ground to the motor/chassis.

KaeZoo
11-05-2006, 06:14 PM
No, it's not true. Touching both battery terminals to body metal just produces high current through the metal between the terminals. No reason it should affect the alarm.

squeak9798
11-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Personal story time.....

Back many moons ago when I was still a relative newb, I had a Stinger 3F cap in my vehicle. I had also had a Viper remote start/alarm installed on the vehicle.

One time I was uninstalling the cap, and was loosening the power input with an allen wrench. Well, being the ever-attentive installer that I am, I accidently touched the allen wrench to a metal "shelf" that supported the OEM 6x9 enclosures....sparks flew, I jumped, and the allen wrench got really ******* hot. Now, I should mention here that I didn't just "touch" the allen wrench to that metal shelf...in my vast stupidity, I had gotten it jammed between the cap and the metal shelf.....so, yeah, I was directly shorting my power cable (and fully charged cap) to the vehicle chassis.

Anyways, it took me a while to get the allen wrench unstuck (5 - 10 seconds or so).......and the entire time my alarm system was freaking out. The lights (exterior and dash lights) were flashing on/off in the same manor it did when the remote start was activated, and my car kept trying to start, then shut itself off, then the lights would flash and it would try to start again, then shut itself off, repeat repeat repeat.

Granted, I was in the trunk trying to get this ****ing allen wrench unstuck before I shorted out my ECU so I never had a chance to check and see if my doors were locking and unlocking.....but it definitely did have an affect on atleast the remote start function of my alarm.

Ah, the memories.......