PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter imaging in GM trucks/Tahoe

Motovet
11-03-2006, 01:47 PM
I messed around with tweets in my truck and settled on angling them toward the headrests close to the mids in the doors. Doing the Tahoe, and am planning on the same. Like to see what others preffered.....there's not many options in these rigs though.

DoobieBrother
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm about to start playing with that in my Sierra with some Focals. We'll see what happens, but right now I'm thinking they'll be in the pillars either pointing toward center of glass or crossfire straight across at each other.

Motovet
11-03-2006, 08:31 PM
I took my pillar off the Tahoe, and the Germanium tweet almost fit in there perfect without the flush mount. When I did my truck however I found it to sound very good angled toward the front seats behind the door grill. Also I had always been a fan of keeping the tweets close to the mids. I already chopped up the doors and have the tweets mounted basically the same way as My truck....but that could be easily changed. I have some pics in a thread down the page a ways. Would play them as they are know....but waiting for a new 880 as the last had bad noise...even after grounding the rca's. Let me know what you come up with.

Motovet
11-04-2006, 02:49 PM
There's got to be more people on here with installs in American rides.

PremierAudio
11-04-2006, 05:49 PM
We have found that the best location was behind the factory metal grille on the door. Take out the factory tweet down there, assuming you have a silverado.... and put it to the top right (passenger side) top left (drivers side). Had best luck with imaging there that did not require to much tweaking. We try to fray from putting tweets far from the mids. We have though stuck them in the factory tahoe A pillar mount like you are talking about and used a little glass to fill in the spaces.. Looks real stealth and factory. Im trying to find some pictures for you but our hard drive crashed and lost pretty much everything.

xploit2
11-04-2006, 07:41 PM
**** nice! info! I want to see some pictures... how many tweeters do you guys have in total??

Motovet
11-04-2006, 07:59 PM
two

Motovet
11-04-2006, 08:05 PM
We have found that the best location was behind the factory metal grille on the door. Take out the factory tweet down there, assuming you have a silverado.... and put it to the top right (passenger side) top left (drivers side). Had best luck with imaging there that did not require to much tweaking. We try to fray from putting tweets far from the mids. We have though stuck them in the factory tahoe A pillar mount like you are talking about and used a little glass to fill in the spaces.. Looks real stealth and factory. Im trying to find some pictures for you but our hard drive crashed and lost pretty much everything.

That's where I put the tweets in my truck,(Silverado 02'). This install is on an 05' Tahoe which has the factory tweet spot in the pillar. I am planning on the same spot behind the grill as you mentioned...but wondered how the stock spot worked for anyone. Does the imaging even compare in the stock spot?

Johnny Drama
11-04-2006, 08:08 PM
I know I promiced pics...I will get them when I get a chance. I love lending out my camera and not getting it back.

Anyways...

Your 880 should have time alignment. Since it does the a-pillars are the way to go.
Mounting them in the doors will make the sound stage low and in your lap. The voices will sound like they are coming from the dash at best.

In the a-pillars mounted either directly at the opposite headrest or using the glass for the reflections is the absolute best way to install them in any '01+GM truck. I know, I have tried EVERY location possible.

The next best place is in the kicks. I liked the kicks for the imaging, but it was still too low fr me. I beleive that it could have been due to the dash being a fun and funky shape. :(

TRUST ME...a-pillars...
towrd the window or headrests as low on the pillar as possible. You imaging will be eye level and projection will be the beining of the hood to middle of the hood.

linvillegorge
11-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for that jntar! I'm going to be putting comps in my '01 Tahoe soon to replace the current coaxials. I've been happy with the coax's for what they are, but now that I have my coveted 15" Mag, I think I need to up the ante on my frontstage to properly compliment it!

Motovet
11-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Time alignment do me any good running the comps passive? I also have a couple of the PPI DCX-730 processors on the way that were on fire sale. Suppose that may help even more?

Motovet
11-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I know I promiced pics...I will get them when I get a chance. I love lending out my camera and not getting it back.

Anyways...

Your 880 should have time alignment. Since it does the a-pillars are the way to go.
Mounting them in the doors will make the sound stage low and in your lap. The voices will sound like they are coming from the dash at best.

In the a-pillars mounted either directly at the opposite headrest or using the glass for the reflections is the absolute best way to install them in any '01+GM truck. I know, I have tried EVERY location possible.

The next best place is in the kicks. I liked the kicks for the imaging, but it was still too low fr me. I beleive that it could have been due to the dash being a fun and funky shape. :(

TRUST ME...a-pillars...
towrd the window or headrests as low on the pillar as possible. You imaging will be eye level and projection will be the beining of the hood to middle of the hood.

I assume you mean the opposite headrests for each...

PremierAudio
11-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Imaging is fine with either location....If you know how to tune that is. The stock a-pillar spot is going to be easiest and most friendly for easy installs. But I hate two things, having tweeters aim at the glass and two having it more than a foot away from the mid.

Johnny Drama
11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Imaging is fine with either location....If you know how to tune that is. The stock a-pillar spot is going to be easiest and most friendly for easy installs. But I hate two things, having tweeters aim at the glass and two having it more than a foot away from the mid.

Wrong Imaging will be horrible in the stock door location no matter how you tune. The tweets are too low and close to your lap, both the mids and tweets for the seat are very far off axis, and your legs will block any and all seats for the opposite person.

Second, there is nothing wrong with using the glass...you just need to know how to use it to your advantage. Low on the pillars and using the reflections can be just as good, and even better IMO then the pods aimed directly at you.

Last, again...nothing wrong with the mids and tweets being far apart. If you know how to set it up. I know of an SQ world champ that has kicks and a-pillar tweets....he doesnt even use time allignment ;)
Its all in the install. You could put crap for speakers in a car and have it image great...more then likley you could/should beat out a poor imaged and high end brand vehicle.

xtremekustomz
11-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I've got a 2000 Silverado with the Dynaudio System 360 in it. I have the 8" in the doors, 3" midrange and tweet in the kick panels.

Johnny Drama
11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
I've got a 2000 Silverado with the Dynaudio System 360 in it. I have the 8" in the doors, 3" midrange and tweet in the kick panels.

I mentioned earlier that kicks are another great place to put the tweets. Your system sounds nice. I'd love to hear it. :)

xtremekustomz
11-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I mentioned earlier that kicks are another great place to put the tweets. Your system sounds nice. I'd love to hear it. :)

Right now I'm trying things out to see how I like it. Like I said I've got the Dynaudio System 360, Alpine CDA-7998 head unit, US Amps USA-200x bridged per set, and a USA-600 on an IDMAX 12" firing down in the center console. I'm wanting to go get a new '07 classic Silverado Quad Cab but hate to spend the money LOL If I get it I'm going to deaden the WHOLE vehicle. I want it as quiet as possible.

Johnny Drama
11-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Right now I'm trying things out to see how I like it. Like I said I've got the Dynaudio System 360, Alpine CDA-7998 head unit, US Amps USA-200x bridged per set, and a USA-600 on an IDMAX 12" firing down in the center console. I'm wanting to go get a new '07 classic Silverado Quad Cab but hate to spend the money LOL If I get it I'm going to deaden the WHOLE vehicle. I want it as quiet as possible.

Yeah...I do like the new trucks coming out. Mine is deadened well. The last remaining piece to be deadened is the b-pillars. I will be doing that this weekend along with stuffing the inside sheet metal with acoustic foam to dampen it quite a bit more.

xtremekustomz
11-06-2006, 09:51 PM
The doors in this truck need it more. The 8's have ALOT of energy.

Johnny Drama
11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
The doors in this truck need it more. The 8's have ALOT of energy.

I have 2 layers of mat with many layers of liquid deadener over that, followed by rattle pad by second skin. My doors are very well deadened.

Motovet
11-08-2006, 12:56 PM
OK....going to try the tweets in the stock spot first while I wait for some special order angle mounts for the Germs. What kind of adhesive will hold them well, yet still be removeable if I want to change?