PDA

View Full Version : new to audio and need some help with system

massiveian
11-02-2006, 07:49 PM
ok i just bought my first car 95 grand am and it still has the stock 4 x 6 in the front and 6 x 9 in the back
i also just bought a sony HU
im not looking to go to far into the whole system thing
last night i bought 2 kicker CVRs a 1200 watt amp and box. this morning i returned them all because i realized i would probably get robbed and im not into car audio all that much i just want some sound.
but the stock speakers are ok but not great you can hear distortion in the music
i want some decent speakers nothing to fancy. I will be running the speakers off the sony HU no amp. i just need some suggestions of what 6 x 9 and 4 x 6 speakers to get.

thanks

crow
11-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Don't worry too much about the thieves. If you want subs, get them.

For a nice simple system, I would install a 2 channel amp with a good quality set of aftermarket speakers up front. Having the extra power on hand will improve the sound and prevent the distortion you get when cranking the internal amp in the head unit too high. For speakers, I prefer components but there are some good coaxials out there as well. Listen to them with the factory 6x9s for a while then decide if you want to replace the rear speakers or add a sub.

massiveian
11-03-2006, 12:14 AM
yea i just want to replace the front and back speakers i need all the trunk room i can get one of the fronts are blown but none of the back are but they sound pretty bad at higher volumes
what are stock 6x9 speakers rated at in watts?

springy101
11-03-2006, 12:21 AM
yea i just want to replace the front and back speakers i need all the trunk room i can get one of the fronts are blown but none of the back are but they sound pretty bad at higher volumes
what are stock 6x9 speakers rated at in watts?

around 15-20

MaggKnowly-a
11-03-2006, 12:40 AM
I don't know if this helps, but i'm leaving my stock alone and putting two six by nines hooked to a 200 watt sony amp in my blazer. This is all i'm doing.

massiveian
11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
around 15-20

oh ok so when i replace them to 100W RMS there will deffiently be a noticable difference and im replacing the front 4x6 with speakers that do 40W RMS

thats all im going to do tho im not hooking any amps up or subs just because this is my first car and im not trying to impress anyone. i just want to be able to hear my music

JimJ
11-03-2006, 09:59 AM
im replacing the front 4x6 with speakers that do 40W RMS

Speakers don't output power :fyi:

i just want to be able to hear my music

Understandable, but unless you always listen at a very low volume, even a simple setup like this will benefit from external amplification...dynamic range is a good thing at medium to high volumes :)

Who knows, might get you hooked on good sound, want to do more...

massiveian
11-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Speakers don't output power :fyi:

Understandable, but unless you always listen at a very low volume, even a simple setup like this will benefit from external amplification...dynamic range is a good thing at medium to high volumes :)

Who knows, might get you hooked on good sound, want to do more...

whoops i know they dont put out power i mean they handle 40W
i dont listen to music at low volumes i blast my stock speakers right now.
i dont know to much about car audio but when i went to circuit citys website and was looking for speakers they all say i need a harness to hook them up but there the same size as the stock speakers so i dont know why i would need a harness it said that for every single speaker i clicked on.

JimJ
11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
i dont listen to music at low volumes i blast my stock speakers right now.

Then go with an external amp...unless you like that "crunchy" sound I'm sure you're getting :)

massiveian
11-03-2006, 10:18 AM
what do u mean crunchy?
they dont sound all that bad except one of my speakers are blown