PDA

View Full Version : Rear Fill: Obserations...

MBrock4u
11-02-2006, 06:36 AM
Hey all! I have noticed this is something that we here on the forum, just don't all agree with. That's fine but here is one problem. When a new guy asks about rear fill, alot of people on here with tell him to forget rear fill, that it will praticley ruin his system. This is simply NOT the case! That leaves new people on here confused. I understand that rear fill is not for everyone, but some people on here like it. I would seem to me it would be better to try to help someone, rather than just say it will destroy your system. The truth is that most of us are not at compatition level, though some are, and yes I understand the whole concept of not having rear fill. I like what rear fill does for my paticular system in my paticular car. I try not to tell anyone that they need rear fill, because for what they are looking to do that might not be a good option for them. There are people on here with alot more knowledge than me, which is why we come here in the first place. Lets try to keep the main thing the main thing and help someone, instead of throwing them to the wolves. :)

jeepintn
11-02-2006, 06:53 AM
i agree, i love my rear fill, especially during the times the subs and amps are undergoing switches and changes:)

Dozy_production
11-02-2006, 10:43 AM
i like rearfill. Only because i dont have proper imaging on my frontstage.

Worlddre
11-02-2006, 10:47 AM
was there not a thread stating this exact same thing not too long ago?

iceteebone
11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey all! I have noticed this is something that we here on the forum, just don't all agree with. That's fine but here is one problem. When a new guy asks about rear fill, alot of people on here with tell him to forget rear fill, that it will praticley ruin his system. This is simply NOT the case! That leaves new people on here confused. I understand that rear fill is not for everyone, but some people on here like it. I would seem to me it would be better to try to help someone, rather than just say it will destroy your system. The truth is that most of us are not at compatition level, though some are, and yes I understand the whole concept of not having rear fill. I like what rear fill does for my paticular system in my paticular car. I try not to tell anyone that they need rear fill, because for what they are looking to do that might not be a good option for them. There are people on here with alot more knowledge than me, which is why we come here in the first place. Lets try to keep the main thing the main thing and help someone, instead of throwing them to the wolves. :)

ok that's nice. next time someone asks about rearfill you tell them this. these types of threads are so retarded. i'm not a competitor and i don't use rearfill.

Eugenics
11-02-2006, 10:55 AM
i like rear fill, i also don't like people shoving things down my throat.

Johnny Drama
11-02-2006, 10:56 AM
I dont have rear fill. If I did it would be blaring right at my left ear. Not good...

IMO, rear fill is good for 5.1 systems and nothing else. If you have a proper front stage you wont need any rear fill.

iceteebone
11-02-2006, 10:59 AM
i tried rearfill once, and with my frontstage and sub, i didn't even hear or notice it, so that leads me to believe people aren't imaging right if they need rearfill

Louisiana_CRX
11-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Is a 6 pack in the back deck with a 920w power acoustik amp considered rear fill?

JimJ
11-02-2006, 11:21 AM
My rear fill would be 12 feet behind me...I don't even want to think about the phase and spatial issues that would create.

MBrock4u
11-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I agree with iceteebone. This could certainly be the case in some instanses. There are other reasons for having rear fill. Passengers! People who ride in my car really get to enjoy my system more. Alot of people don't care about that in their car and thats fine. It all goes back to what your needs are and what you are trying to acomplish.

James Bang
11-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I personally don't have a rear fill. I also don't see why the rear passengers still can't enjoy your system. I've sat in the back to test that out and i still hear the fronts fine. the imaging was off, but it wasn't bad.

Savstyle
11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I agree with iceteebone. This could certainly be the case in some instanses. There are other reasons for having rear fill. Passengers! People who ride in my car really get to enjoy my system more. Alot of people don't care about that in their car and thats fine. It all goes back to what your needs are and what you are trying to acomplish.

bah, its the drivers system not the people riding with him. With a well setup frontstage rearfill is barely noticable(sp?), or it completly jacks up your soundstage.

EDIT: and im far from competition status

SQBubble
11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
running 4 nice amplified component in stock location(2front, 2back) is actually nice when you dont have a sub, gives a surround feeling, loud, clear, feels like in a nightclub, and thats what alot of people want in their car.

each one his own.

nVRuckus
11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
my backseat is always full so since that is the case I use rear deck for them. too lazy to build door pods in the rear doors

T3mpest
11-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Rear fills fine if you aren't critically listening to your music. If your just looking to get loud it does fine. Other than that I can't see any real benefits.

squeak9798
11-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Rearfill *****

[/thread]

Rearfill can be a good thing when implimented properly, using the proper processing/tuning/etc. But most of the people asking on here aren't implimenting them properly and likely won't....hence for the people looking for a good sounding stereo I typically don't recommend it.

If you like it, more power to you. If you like it and know you like it, I fail to see why you would be asking the question in the first place.....so I'm not clear on what purpose threads like this serve.

Though I've always been curious how many people who enjoy the "surround sound feeling" of rear fill have listened to good quality systems that image and soundstage properly.

BlackMaxima
11-02-2006, 09:55 PM
if you want rear stage why not just add a Coaxial and hook it up to the H/U?
you dont have to use an amp for it.

Motovet
11-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I like rear fill too....when she lets me....

Mynameismcgyver
11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
I like rear fill too....when she lets me....

LOL
Amen

T3mpest
11-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Though I've always been curious how many people who enjoy the "surround sound feeling" of rear fill have listened to good quality systems that image and soundstage properly.

Probably not many, that's why they reference "night clubs" as their audiophile reference source.

SQBubble
11-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Rearfill *****

[/thread]

Rearfill can be a good thing when implimented properly, using the proper processing/tuning/etc. But most of the people asking on here aren't implimenting them properly and likely won't....hence for the people looking for a good sounding stereo I typically don't recommend it.

If you like it, more power to you. If you like it and know you like it, I fail to see why you would be asking the question in the first place.....so I'm not clear on what purpose threads like this serve.

I know, i dont like rear fill that much anymore.. thats why I aint running some now.. I'm just saying that alottt of people like the night club feeling in their car, and really dont give shyt about processing and all these thing, they just want amplified loud sound and wants to party, get pumped up before going to a party and u know... <<< i was kinda like that..lolll

but when I removed rear fill and bridged my amp only for front, I have to admit, it did sound lot cleaner and more lively.

MBrock4u
11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Yes, the whole point of this thred was geared toward the newbie. I just don't think you can say you will ruin your system when the person is asking for rear fill speaker advice. For example, I posted my system without even asking a question and several members told me to get rid of my rears. I though that quite strange. I would not argue with the fact that people on here with years of experience say your better off without the rears. It just might not be what the person with the question has in mind with their paticular system. The fact is that the people on here have been amazingly helpful here in getting me the advice to have a very nice system. I would have never done the tweeking ect... without you guys.

Thieroff
11-02-2006, 10:47 PM
All I have to say is that if you have rear fill

1. Turn your fader all the way to the front
2. Listen to it like that for a week or 2
3. Turn the fader back to center
4. See how bad it really sounds
5. Take your rears out
6. Bludgeon yourself with them
7. Then Die.

CT

jiggy2dmax
11-02-2006, 11:40 PM
I have my stock speakers as rear fill, I have my HU faded to the front all the time and only turn the rear fill on when I have passengers in teh back, like Theiroff said, it something you gotta try first before you noticed the difference.

ngsm13
11-03-2006, 12:04 AM
I dont have rear fill. If I did it would be blaring right at my left ear. Not good...

IMO, rear fill is good for 5.1 systems and nothing else. If you have a proper front stage you wont need any rear fill.

DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNAR!!!

nG

chartman18
11-03-2006, 02:19 AM
DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNAR!!!

nG

Haha, everytime I see you post, you dont talk much. Your picture makes me giggle. :laugh:

ngsm13
11-03-2006, 02:25 AM
Haha, everytime I see you post, you dont talk much. Your picture makes me giggle. :laugh:

UCP is my avatard :fyi:

Where the hell is Ravenna?

nG

Motovet
11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Your avatar isn't bad either....rear fill...:naughty:

Swoop41
11-03-2006, 07:24 PM
OK I'm officially confused. :crap:

Everyone here says to put component speakers up front and amp them, leaving the rear deck stock. But everyone I talk to not on the internet (in local shops) says to put components in the doors, 3 ways in the back and put a 4 channel on all of em.

I'm not looking to compete or anything like that...just looking for a nice, clean, SQ system that won't break my bank.

samson
11-03-2006, 08:09 PM
It depends a lot on where your speakers are located. My rear speakers are in the door and provide decent imaging for passengers. I think it's important to amp them. It still sounds good. But if your rear speakers are under the rear glass in a car, they can be overbearing.

Just my $.02.

MBrock4u
11-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes it can be confusing> I startd this thred, so I will say this. I think in the car audio world the main focus should be front stage. I just like to have rear fill to complement them. Alot of people on here, and they do have experience in this stuff don't like rear fill at all. It just depends on what you are looking to do with your system. I have everything amped but that's me. I agree with them on the fact that your main focus and money should be front stage.

linvillegorge
11-03-2006, 11:38 PM
OK I'm officially confused. :crap:

Everyone here says to put component speakers up front and amp them, leaving the rear deck stock. But everyone I talk to not on the internet (in local shops) says to put components in the doors, 3 ways in the back and put a 4 channel on all of em.

I'm not looking to compete or anything like that...just looking for a nice, clean, SQ system that won't break my bank.

That's because that is what they want to sell you. Most local shops don't keep high end stuff in stock - they just don't sell enough of it to make it worthwhile. Not many people want to come in and drop $400+ on really good components. However, they will come in and drop $400 on a set of components for the front and some coaxials in the back. They're spending the same amount of $$$, but they feel they're getting a better deal because they're getting twice the amount of speakers, when in reality they're getting ripped off. The shop makes the same amount of $$$ either way, but one is a much easier sale to the average Joe.

Swoop41
11-03-2006, 11:41 PM
It depends a lot on where your speakers are located. My rear speakers are in the door and provide decent imaging for passengers. I think it's important to amp them. It still sounds good. But if your rear speakers are under the rear glass in a car, they can be overbearing.

Just my $.02.

Yeah, my rears are up under the glass. 6x9s. I think I'm gonna try leaving the rear stock and if I don't like it I can always upgrade later.

Swoop41
11-03-2006, 11:42 PM
That's because that is what they want to sell you. Most local shops don't keep high end stuff in stock - they just don't sell enough of it to make it worthwhile. Not many people want to come in and drop $400+ on really good components. However, they will come in and drop $400 on a set of components for the front and some coaxials in the back. They're spending the same amount of $$$, but they feel they're getting a better deal because they're getting twice the amount of speakers, when in reality they're getting ripped off. The shop makes the same amount of $$$ either way, but one is a much easier sale to the average Joe.

Makes sense, but I actually do trust this one guy. I think he would be straight with me.

T3mpest
11-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Makes sense, but I actually do trust this one guy. I think he would be straight with me.

Then do what Jmac suggested (I think it was Jmac, if not oh well). Turn off your rears for a week or so. Then go back to them and see how it sounds, I think you'll find rear fill isn't as great as you thought.

Swoop41
11-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Then do what Jmac suggested (I think it was Jmac, if not oh well). Turn off your rears for a week or so. Then go back to them and see how it sounds, I think you'll find rear fill isn't as great as you thought.

Yeah, I'm gonna do that starting tomorrow. We shall see.

MBrock4u
11-04-2006, 05:59 AM
Just to be fair to all of the non rear fill people, I did try that but not for a whole week. I didnt care for it much. I do have the fader toward the front so it is still the primary sound, but I bring i the rears for the complementary sound. On some music it brings out sound I would have never heard otherwise. My rear fill adds to, and I don't let it take away from front stage. Properly set, on my system it sounds great. But then again thats just me. :)

Swoop41
11-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Just to be fair to all of the non rear fill people, I did try that but not for a whole week. I didnt care for it much. I do have the fader toward the front so it is still the primary sound, but I bring i the rears for the complementary sound. On some music it brings out sound I would have never heard otherwise. My rear fill adds to, and I don't let it take away from front stage. Properly set, on my system it sounds great. But then again thats just me. :)

I did try it for a good while last night...I think I'll like it with amped 6.5 comps up front, some nice 3 way coaxials in the back, and a 12 inch sub in the trunk. The sound needs to be there in the rear, but basically just enough so that you know it's there. I understand what everyone's been talking about a little better now.

MBrock4u
11-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Good deal!

2LouDFoRThiS
11-04-2006, 12:53 PM
some like it.

some dont...

so what...

Slammed
11-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I have great imaging (sweet mids and horns)

the sound sorrounds me

I dont need rear fill....havent used it for 4 years

its only for back seat passengers really

:p:

James Bang
11-04-2006, 12:58 PM
I have great imaging (sweet mids and horns)

the sound sorrounds me

I dont need rear fill....havent used it for 4 years

its only for back seat passengers really

:p:

If i sat in the back seat of a car with horns.. i'd rather hear the horns than any other speakers used as a rear fill.

iceteebone
11-04-2006, 01:03 PM
who the hell cares about passengers? gas prices are over $2/gal, just be happy they are getting a ride

Darren5531
11-04-2006, 01:26 PM
well I have some alpine type s 6 1/2"s in the doors and some pioneers in the rear both 6 1/2's. Just got my car and just threw some stuff in there for now. After x-mas what should i do? I think if i can find some used crsytals, cdt, rainbows or polk audio 6 1/2 components ill put those in the door and leave the rears in they are a pain to get in and out and then just fade it mostly to the front and amp the fronts. Would this be worlds better then what I have now? I mostly listen to rock and after i get my sub in Ill listen to alot more rap. So rears are just a waste of money and I should spend the money on nice fronts?

mlstrass
11-06-2006, 05:09 PM
For a budget set-up that will get respectably loud it's hard to beat 4 coax's and a 4 channel amp.

Not everyone is a purist and concerned with soundstage, imaging, phase, etc... They just want to crank some tunes while driving around, plain and simple.

I feel it's a disservice to steer them away. Perhaps down the road some will want to upgrade to good comps up front, but I'm betting many will be happy with what they have.

The "no rear fill Nazi's" seem MUCH more vocal then the guys who like it/run it. Not sure why that is. Try and give an unbiased opinion to the noobies looking for help.

And I do understand the desired effect of a proper front soundstage only as it will provide a much more "realistic" sound, more closely to a concert or live show. But not everyone is after that as you know.

No offense intended to anyone, so please don't take it that way. LOT of knowledgeable people on here, so just try and help when you can, even if it goes against your car audio beliefs, but just might make someone else happy.

MBrock4u
11-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Very well put. :)

SpasticGramps
11-06-2006, 11:50 PM
If you have a properly staged and imaged front stage I don't believe there is any need for rearfill. Spending the money on better front compents would be a much better investment IMO. Backseat passengers can enjoy a system without rearfill. How many people who ride around with you know about proper imaging/staging anyway.

Having said that there is always different strokes for different folks and different applications. You should try different things out and do whatever sounds best to you. Don't do something cause some faceless person on an internet forum told you it was "better".

xploit2
11-07-2006, 12:39 AM
how many speakers are needed for a front stage?? will a nice set of components at (eg. raimbows)130watts rms each considered a front stage?? cuz some people asking if they should have rear fill or not are running theirs speakers off their HU and then i see someone replying NO U dont Need rear fill.

UndercoverPunk
11-07-2006, 12:45 AM
My fronts have enough potential coverage to throw a small party, so I'm definately not worried about someone 3 feet behind me.

My rear fill in the upcoming project will be alarm sirens.

xploit2
11-07-2006, 04:07 AM
how many watts are you giving each side punk??

MBrock4u
11-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Looks like we have lot of comments across the board here. This is all good. I don't think I ever really promote a need for rear fill It's a personal preference. I have a solid front stage with a little kick in the rear. I really like it that way. So do my friends who ride with me. It doesn't necessarly make for a better system. You can have a killer system without the rear fill. But it seems to me the non rear fill people like to shove that down our throats. Just a personal preference is all that is needed. Play with both and see what sounds best for you and your needs. :)

geowick07
11-07-2006, 07:52 AM
I have read this entire thread, and all i can say is that i am going to be investing in a set of 6.5" components in the near future. I plan to leave the rear 6x8's (its a ford) in place in their stock locations, powered from the head unit, and see if i like it. If i don't like it, out they come. i think rear fill, regardless of ANY opinions stated here, should be the owners' preference. Personally, I have experience with systems with and without rear fill, and i have never really been able to come up with a clear cut I Like It, I Don't Like It answer. Totally user-dependent. Just my .02

mlstrass
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm running 6.5" REV's off a Profile amp for rear fill. Actually more than fill as they get very loud. I run the amp trigger off a toggle switch, so when in the mood I flip the switch and instant "club" sound.

I did spend a fair amount of time in the dance clubs in the 80's and also remember when the pinnacle of car audio was a set of Jensen 6x9 triaxials in the rear deck, so maybe that's why I like loud rear fill.

But I also enjoy the much better sound produced by my front stage since they're better speakers. I have kind of the best of both worlds.......

James Bang
11-07-2006, 06:21 PM
My fronts have enough potential coverage to throw a small party, so I'm definately not worried about someone 3 feet behind me.

My rear fill in the upcoming project will be alarm sirens.

horns. :drool:

davesexplorer
11-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I guess I'm just a goofball then... I have pretty much all the items currently or in transit, but 2- 5 1/4 (one set SS, other RS) comp sets up front as well as 8" midbass's (SSMB8), and 5 1/4(RS) comps in the back. All powered from a SX900.4 and a SX700.4. I can fade it to the front if I need a stage performance, and fade it back when I have guests. :) Whatever floats your boat.

UndercoverPunk
11-08-2006, 04:17 AM
how many watts are you giving each side punk??

about 10 watts for each horn and maybe 70 on each 6.5.... havn't messed with them in a while, and the horns were set with 20 watts and then turned down by ear so that the actually blended with the 6.5s.

it gets... loud.