PDA

View Full Version : Alpine or Pioneer

DsrtJeeper
11-02-2006, 03:51 AM
I currently have an Alpine head unit with no built in DSP or EQ. I've noticed that Alpines have a thinner sound and Pioneers a more natural sound. Is it just me? I like the DSP, time alignment and EQ of the $400.00 and up Pioneer HU's. Will I gain anything by switching to a Pioneer unit such as the 780 over my CDA-9856
Alpine? Help me decide with your actual experiences. Thanks!

P.S. Sound quality is my main goal. I like a robust, warm midrange.

JimJ
11-02-2006, 03:59 AM
Other than the P9 combo, I've never been a fan of the Pioneer user interface...

I'd recommend finding a used 9835 if you want to stick with Alpine.

DsrtJeeper
11-02-2006, 04:04 AM
Other than the P9 combo, I've never been a fan of the Pioneer user interface...

I'd recommend finding a used 9835 if you want to stick with Alpine.

Please explain...

photocrazy8
11-02-2006, 04:15 AM
i love my 9835:) so many cool features

JimJ
11-02-2006, 04:16 AM
The CDA-9835 is the last "new" production Alpine I'd go with...has T/A, 5 band PEQ.

Have you heard Eclipse units?

phyphoestilic
11-02-2006, 04:17 AM
I like features of my eclipse :D

photocrazy8
11-02-2006, 04:17 AM
The CDA-9835 is the last "new" production Alpine I'd go with...has T/A, 5 band PEQ.

also the 9835 is very easy to use once you get it down...

DsrtJeeper
11-02-2006, 04:20 AM

I had Eclipse in the early 90's. Haven't heard anything new. Great sound quality? What benefits does Eclipse offer fuction wise? I think it's neat how the Pioneers use DSP and time aligment.

Towncar
11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
I currently have an Alpine head unit with no built in DSP or EQ. I've noticed that Alpines have a thinner sound and Pioneers a more natural sound. Is it just me? I like the DSP, time alignment and EQ of the $400.00 and up Pioneer HU's. Will I gain anything by switching to a Pioneer unit such as the 780 over my CDA-9856
Alpine? Help me decide with your actual experiences. Thanks!

P.S. Sound quality is my main goal. I like a robust, warm midrange.

Im pretty sure you will like that pioneer over the alpine. The new alpine line up is just average imo. The 780 has much more capabilitys for better sound.

DsrtJeeper
11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Im pretty sure you will like that pioneer over the alpine. The new alpine line up is just average imo. The 780 has much more capabilitys for better sound.

After reading of the 880 grounding problems; I'm a bit leary. What head units are dominant in SQ comps? Are the DSP, EQ's and Time Alignment features quality in these head units or is a guy better off running external boxes such as Audio Control products?

loserpunk
11-02-2006, 02:34 PM
i've never liked alpines user interface in the past 5 yrs. just doesn't make sense to me, and pioneers seems to work perfectly with how my brain works, imo alpines current line up is a pathetic huge downgrade from their units of years past, they took out so much of the eq and ta ability that they used to include on their midgrade units now aren't even on their high end models excluding the f1 status, which i don't think is even being considered here

as far as the ground problem on the 880 goes, theres a thread on here somewhere that talks about it, but you have to ground the chasis of the unit to the car, not with the ground provided, as long as you do that during installation you shouldn't have a prob.

oxsign
11-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I went from my alpine 9855 to a premier 860 and I never looked back. I've always been a big fan of pioneer, but I figured i'd give alpine a try. I wasnt impressed/happy with it. I'll stick to pioneer from now on. :cool:

DsrtJeeper
11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys and keep them coming. I'd also like to hear more input from the SQ crowd along with installers and competitors. :)

PremierAudio
11-02-2006, 05:42 PM
The premier line is the way to go with the higher preout voltage. If you open the Premier versus regular Pioneer, the build is just a tad bit better. I as well as many people like the more lifelike sound of the Pioneers versus the Alpines. Dont get me wrong Alpines use to make really good units, but they have gone down hill. Pioneer though has been really taking the market, especially with their 880prs. As far as the ground issue goes, we have found, like some else stated, that if you ground to the chasis you will not have any problems.

bigbangtheory
11-02-2006, 06:18 PM
I love my 880 and have had many decks from Alpine, Eclispe, Kenwood and other higher end Pioneer Premiers like the 9500 and the 880 is my favorite so far.

iceteebone
11-02-2006, 11:08 PM
for some reason i sold my 9835, but yea alpine's new line really does ****. i'm hoping i'll like this new 9856 along with the processor. i really only went with alpine cause i wanted to try the new full speed ipod interface since i only use my ipod and never use cd's, this was an important feature for me. ever thought about just adding an external processor?

matrxx dude
11-02-2006, 11:16 PM
eclipse cd 5000 or 7000 has all the peq,and time alignments,and a bunch more neat stuff.

joetama
11-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I have the 9855 now in my car and my brother just got the 880 in his car... I must say I'm looking to maybe sell my 9855 I really really like that Pioneer unit.....

Java
11-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Seems the 9815 and 9833/35 were the last decent Alpines out there from what I have learned.

Pioneers are nice, but I think I like the Alpines a little more. Though, not a fan of the Biolite stuff on the Alpines. I am hoping to win a bid on the 9833 or 9815 on ebay.

DsrtJeeper
11-03-2006, 02:04 AM
ever thought about just adding an external processor?

Yes. Just clueless as to which one does what. I switched from Kappas to Diamond Audio 6 series and noticed less harshness in the mids such as female vocals. I still have the characteristic thin sound and the only thing I haven't changed is the Alpine HU. I am digging this new PDX 4.150 amp though. It's cleaner and more powerful sounding than the V-12 series.

It just seems that buying a head unit with various processors internally makes good sense. It's all right at your finger tips and a microphone is included with some for better calibration.

iceteebone
11-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Yes. Just clueless as to which one does what. I switched from Kappas to Diamond Audio 6 series and noticed less harshness in the mids such as female vocals. I still have the characteristic thin sound and the only thing I haven't changed is the Alpine HU. I am digging this new PDX 4.150 amp though. It's cleaner and more powerful sounding than the V-12 series.

It just seems that buying a head unit with various processors internally makes good sense. It's all right at your finger tips and a microphone is included with some for better calibration.

those mics ****. most processors have controllers that mount in your dash.

DsrtJeeper
11-03-2006, 02:34 AM
those mics ****. most processors have controllers that mount in your dash.

Back in the day; Eclipse was the top brand with Alpine coming in a close second. Amps were more musical such as the Soundstream D series. MB Quart and Focal were tops for components. I ran the Orion XTR subs with great luck. It seems that modern sound as changed to thin sounding components with no bloom in the mids. Where's the fat sound of the cello? Where's those musical horns from Miles Davis? The old ADS amps were killer. Now it seems that people are into extreme highs and overwhelming, boomy bass.

I ran an Audio Control EQX with great results, but DSP was a fairly new technology. With built in processing in many head units; I think it would be easier to achieve better sound staging.

SonnyD
11-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Back in the day; Eclipse was the top brand with Alpine coming in a close second. Amps were more musical such as the Soundstream D series. MB Quart and Focal were tops for components. I ran the Orion XTR subs with great luck. It seems that modern sound as changed to thin sounding components with no bloom in the mids. Where's the fat sound of the cello? Where's those musical horns from Miles Davis? The old ADS amps were killer. Now it seems that people are into extreme highs and overwhelming, boomy bass.

I ran an Audio Control EQX with great results, but DSP was a fairly new technology. With built in processing in many head units; I think it would be easier to achieve better sound staging.

Your preaching to the choir Here brother!!!:D

Regards Sonny

SQChevy
11-03-2006, 09:31 AM
If you want a really nice alpine unit I'd say the CDA-7969. I just checked ebay and there is one for a Buy it now of 300. This is one of Alpine's older units but very well built. It has no internal amplification so amps are a MUST. The unit originally go for 1100. It won me a world championship so I have to say it's a good one.

iceteebone
11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
just hooked up my 9856 and i gotta say it flat out *****. the only thing that is usefull is the full speed ipod adapter. that is the only reason i'm gonna keep this deck.

DsrtJeeper
11-04-2006, 01:47 AM
just hooked up my 9856 and i gotta say it flat out *****. the only thing that is usefull is the full speed ipod adapter. that is the only reason i'm gonna keep this deck.

What ***** about it?

Exploder 97
11-04-2006, 06:34 AM
I have the alpine 9853 in my monte carlo... ive had pioneer 6600 and 7800? models.. ima say sound quality def alpine,, but everything else pioneer..

iceteebone
11-04-2006, 10:49 AM
What ***** about it?

it has no features at all. it's basically a stock unit. only thing that is good about it is the ipod interface. the only audio adjustments i see for it are bass and treble, the display just *****. this is in the upper half of alpine decks, as i only see the 9857 and that expensive one above this, and it makes me wonder what their entry level units are cause this is nothing more then an entry level unit

99StangGt
11-04-2006, 11:06 AM
As far as new Alpines I would go with 9857 and h701. That would cost alot. the cheapest and best setup would be 880. I am running a 9835 works great but would like a little more EQ.

iceteebone
11-05-2006, 11:03 AM
As far as new Alpines I would go with 9857 and h701. That would cost alot. the cheapest and best setup would be 880. I am running a 9835 works great but would like a little more EQ.

does the 9857 control the h701? if not the 9861 and h701 would be nice

Slaugh
11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
well, Alpine has always been notoriously known for SQ head units.. but, after 2005, they became sellout products... my recomendation if you want good SQ hu is to chase an Alpine CDA-7998, 9813, 9815, 9833, 9835 on Ebay... they all have 3 4v preout, Time Alignment, 5band EQ and a clear and an amazing sound... i, myself, have never liked the audio from Pioneers, but i do admit they offer the best bang for the buck...

DsrtJeeper
11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Well I decided to go with the Pioneer DEH-780. It definately is more listenable with a smoother sound. I'm still playing with the settings. I do have a question for those who have set up one of these.

I went through the whole time alignment process on this HU and have found that it sounds better when turning all seating positions off. Anyone else find this feature adding too much processing? I'm curious to hear other's experiences with this. I just can't stand the sound when front left seating is chosen on the HU.

PS...Thanks to all for your advice and help. You guys have been great and the discussion is always productive.

frzninvt
11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Don't forget the Alpine 7909, 7939, 7949, and 7969. If the deck has an internal amplifier it isn't an SQ deck IMHO.

bikejunkie223
11-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Well I decided to go with the Pioneer DEH-780. It definately is more listenable with a smoother sound. I'm still playing with the settings. I do have a question for those who have set up one of these.

I went through the whole time alignment process on this HU and have found that it sounds better when turning all seating positions off. Anyone else find this feature adding too much processing? I'm curious to hear other's experiences with this. I just can't stand the sound when front left seating is chosen on the HU.

PS...Thanks to all for your advice and help. You guys have been great and the discussion is always productive.

I have an 860 and run it with no time alignment/seating positions, keep the bbe off all that crap- but then my definition of SQ is to accurately reproduce music, not electronically make it sound a certain way. This is why Bose ***** *** (IMO)- they purposely make speakers that sound warm and fat rather than accurate. New Alpine decks **** balls. Eclipse decks are great, but I hate the "vegas by night" displays. I'm picky, but I guess that's why i'm an sq guy.

Oh, yeah- ditch the rear fill too it helps imaging dramatically

iceteebone
11-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Don't forget the Alpine 7909, 7939, 7949, and 7969. If the deck has an internal amplifier it isn't an SQ deck IMHO.

i lol'd :laugh: :rolleyes:

DsrtJeeper
11-09-2006, 02:10 AM
I have an 860 and run it with no time alignment/seating positions, keep the bbe off all that crap- but then my definition of SQ is to accurately reproduce music, not electronically make it sound a certain way. This is why Bose ***** *** (IMO)- they purposely make speakers that sound warm and fat rather than accurate. New Alpine decks **** balls. Eclipse decks are great, but I hate the "vegas by night" displays. I'm picky, but I guess that's why i'm an sq guy.

Oh, yeah- ditch the rear fill too it helps imaging dramatically

How does one know how a recording originally sounded when recorded? You'd have to be there.

Also; music is electronically altered everyday in studios. The purpose of such devices as BBE and EQ's are to boost or reduce certain frequency ranges that are altered by the limitations of our vehicles.

I do believe less is more in many cases, but automobiles are handicapped when it comes to sound reproduction as it is. What's most important is that the listener enjoy the music. It's a personal thing at best.