PDA

View Full Version : Why do I want to avoid oval 6x9 speakers?

DSCLegend
11-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Hello guys, Im new here:uhoh: and I've been doing my search in the forums.
Looking for a replacement 6x9 I noticed that a lot of you are bashing on 6x9s, but I couldn't find out why. I even read "Round Speakers VS Oval Speakers" in the FAQ but did not find the answer I was looking for.

Thanks for going easy on my first post :tomatofa:

Grmanalishi
11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
I got bashed on some other forums for this, too. I guess 6x9s have round voice coils (not sure if that comes into play or not) but from what I gather (from "audiophiles") is that the shape of the cone inherently produces stress is certain locations in the cone therefore producing distortion. A round cone won't do this. Maybe the distortion can not be heard by the human voice, I don't know I'm not a speaker designer. Even at the Polk website someone gave me this information on 6x9s. I got some nasty remarks when I posted a thread stating that I recently purchased some 6x9s.

60ndown
11-01-2006, 12:36 PM
6x9s are good, dont worry about what (some people) say.

Flipx99
11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
I see no problem with 6x9s run off the HU. I definitely wouldn't put much power to them as it pulls the soundstage back

reneeb7363
11-01-2006, 12:58 PM
no comment......

okay.. a few maybe...
if you are going to spend this kind of money, go with a good component set... a round cone has equal displacement, where-as an oval cone on a round coil inherently is not going to expel the energy equally..hence, the frequency of said oval cone is usually compensated for by multiple smaller drivers-- usually mounted coaxially and usually not "aim-able" so you lose the effect of creating a good sound stage in the first place.

A component set will go in the same place as a 6x9, it has the tweeter mounted seperatly so you may mount that on the same baffle as the round speaker or move it up onto the door or window pillar-- improving the sound stage and overall better frequency response...

IMO of course........................... Just because something "works" doesnt mean it is working right....

DSCLegend
11-01-2006, 03:26 PM
no comment......

okay.. a few maybe...
if you are going to spend this kind of money, go with a good component set... a round cone has equal displacement, where-as an oval cone on a round coil inherently is not going to expel the energy equally..hence, the frequency of said oval cone is usually compensated for by multiple smaller drivers-- usually mounted coaxially and usually not "aim-able" so you lose the effect of creating a good sound stage in the first place.

A component set will go in the same place as a 6x9, it has the tweeter mounted seperatly so you may mount that on the same baffle as the round speaker or move it up onto the door or window pillar-- improving the sound stage and overall better frequency response...

IMO of course........................... Just because something "works" doesnt mean it is working right....

I have a 4 channel amp powering the front and rears (two 6x9s + two tweeters) and a mono channel amp for a sub. Im at that stage in life where I could care less for the sub so Im thinking about taking it out.

With that said, can I just buy a coaxial set since I already have the tweeters in the rears? or is a component set a "must"?

T3mpest
11-04-2006, 04:59 AM
no comment......

okay.. a few maybe...

Not 100% correct, but anyway....

People don't go for non round speakers due to stress. A circle has stress equally on all parts of the surround. When you use a square or oval your inhernetly making the cone less rigid since stress is no longer equal. At high excursion levels the cone can break up and you'll get distortion. Honestly, I don't really consider that the "biggest" reason. It's more or less that few companies have mid to high end offerings in non-round speakers, due to the inherent disadvantage. It's part of the reason kickers subs have low X-max, the square design has a Sd avantage, but you lose linear excursion.