PDA

View Full Version : Pair of comps over 100RMS

krisfnbz
10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Im going to be in the market for a pair of comps that are rated over 100 RMS(trying to get around 150) each speaker, trying to stay under $200...Whos known for making some high rated comps maintaining the SQ?

Everything is appreciated.

Usually I see comps that are like 50 RMS and 80 RMS and eventho I know wattage doesnt necessarily mean its better, I just want something that can handle the power and get louder.

jacka
10-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Crystal Mobilesound SSCS6, Rainbow SLC's seem to be favorites in that range, both can handle the power.

krisfnbz
10-31-2006, 08:36 PM
just looked at the sscs 6's they do look nice, anything rated around 150 rms?

jacka
10-31-2006, 08:38 PM
why do you want something "rated" 150. the crystals will take 250 all day. i'm sending my cmx's 200 and theyre rated 100.

krisfnbz
10-31-2006, 08:42 PM
just dont want to blow anything cuz shits expensive, and i dont want to wear anything down to what its not recommended to do?

jacka
10-31-2006, 08:47 PM
just dont want to blow anything cuz shits expensive, and i dont want to wear anything down to what its not recommended to do?

power doesnt blow speakers, people do. dont be wreckless with the gain and you'll be fine.

JohnnyChuttz
11-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I am sending my Crystals 150w a side and they love it. Excellent components for the price.

iceteebone
11-01-2006, 12:06 PM
could imaging should eliminate the need for gobs of power, but that's probably a lost cause here so i'll recommend boston acoustics. in particular the older pro 6.5's

Biker
11-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Diamond audio S600s Components rated at 150 RMS for around $250 on Ebay.

Biker

MisterGrubbs
11-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Not in the same group, really, as all these

But alpine type x comps possibly?

PremierAudio
11-01-2006, 07:09 PM
CDT EF-62s , Rainbow SLC265s. Both will take more than 150 per side easily. Like someone mentioned before, power isnt what initially kills speakers, distortion does, and that usually comes from clipping the amp from high gain settings. So just setup your gains properly and you should be good!

JimJ
11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
power isnt what initially kills speakers, distortion does,

:(

Speakers have the potential to be damaged by square waves because the average power received over the same interval is a lot more than for an undistorted sine wave...but if your speakers are rated high enough, they could take a square wave all day and not be damaged. Distortion itself isn't the enemy, it's the extra power that's sent to the driver that is...

DBfan187
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
:(

Speakers have the potential to be damaged by square waves because the average power received over the same interval is a lot more than for an undistorted sine wave...but if your speakers are rated high enough, they could take a square wave all day and not be damaged. Distortion itself isn't the enemy, it's the extra power that's sent to the driver that is...:word:

What kills a speaker? physical abuse, thermal abuse, mechanical abuse.

Average amount power applied to the speaker over time is the #1 killer:cool:

PremierAudio
11-01-2006, 09:12 PM
I was just talking initially about distortion, yes all of the above contribute to frying a coil or beaking leads, but for 90% of people on here it is from distortion; because they make a noob mistake and crank up the gain on the amp.

DBfan187
11-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I was just talking initially about distortion, yes all of the above contribute to frying a coil or beaking leads, but for 90% of people on here it is from distortion; because they make a noob mistake and crank up the gain on the amp.what the hell do you think distortion is?

It's clipping, which outputs more power.

PremierAudio
11-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Well there are different types of distortion. But well say harmonic distortion in this point. First, an amplifier cannot produce more watts than its maximum rating. Second, Clipping is pretty much when any component clips the peak of a wave form, hence the name clipping. Then the harmonic frequencies in the input are made in the output. This harmonic distortion contains only odd harmonics if the clipping is symmetrical. Thats just some of my general knowledge of amps, correct me if Im wrong.

DBfan187
11-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Well there are different types of distortion. But well say harmonic distortion in this point. First, an amplifier cannot produce more watts than its maximum rating. Second, Clipping is pretty much when any component clips the peak of a wave form, hence the name clipping. Then the harmonic frequencies in the input are made in the output. This harmonic distortion contains only odd harmonics if the clipping is symmetrical. Thats just some of my general knowledge of amps, correct me if Im wrong.:fyi:clipping can output double the amount of your amps rating.

bottom line is distortion can in no possible way damage speakers.

jiggy2dmax
11-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Crystal FTW, I has 300 a side on mine for quite some time until I got some Z6's.