PDA

View Full Version : 880 PRS install questions

klepto
10-31-2006, 01:31 AM
Just got my 880 prs in the mail today and i have a few questions about the install. This is one of the highest end unites ive had so im dealing with some stuff that i havent delt with before.

First off for the yellow (+) batt attatchment. Do i need to run this directly to my batt or can i wire it to the approptiate batt (+) wire in my wiring harness adapter for my car?

Same basic question for the black ground. Do i need to directly connect this to the car's frame or can i run it to the ground wire on my wiring harness like i have done in the past.

I will only be running my rear stock coaxials off of the hu's internal power, and i will be running an external amp for my components as well as an external amp for my sub, so i want the DSP switch on the hu to be set on STD correct?

Thanks.

andreilopez
10-31-2006, 01:52 AM
STD yes. NW if you want to use the 880 as your active crossover.

dkguitarist
10-31-2006, 02:13 AM
as for the wiring, just use the car's wiring harness instead of running all the way to the battery. but what pissses me off is when ppl clip the ring off the end of the ground wire when the chassis is a better ground than the wiring harness in the first place and it's easy enough for me to ground it to my car anyways.

Motovet
10-31-2006, 03:17 AM
Hope yours doesen't have that god awful hummm...... Sent mine back for an Alpine.:crap:

klepto
10-31-2006, 03:29 AM
I heard grounding the RCA's will cure that problem...

hzsogood
10-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Just got my 880 prs in the mail today and i have a few questions about the install. This is one of the highest end unites ive had so im dealing with some stuff that i havent delt with before.

First off for the yellow (+) batt attatchment. Do i need to run this directly to my batt or can i wire it to the approptiate batt (+) wire in my wiring harness adapter for my car?

Same basic question for the black ground. Do i need to directly connect this to the car's frame or can i run it to the ground wire on my wiring harness like i have done in the past.

I will only be running my rear stock coaxials off of the hu's internal power, and i will be running an external amp for my components as well as an external amp for my sub, so i want the DSP switch on the hu to be set on STD correct?

Thanks.

Use a 10 gauge ground

Towncar
10-31-2006, 04:18 AM
Hope yours doesen't have that god awful hummm...... Sent mine back for an Alpine.:crap:

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=017147

xploit2
10-31-2006, 02:40 PM
I've noticed a lot of people having issues with getting sudden alternator noise with their pioneer headunit. if you suddenly get alternator noise, you probably popped the microfuse inside the deck thanks to a poor ground. with a pioneer you MUST ground the chassis of the headunit to the chassis of your vehicle. same with the main ground. if you don't, you will pop that microfuse that's less than half the size of an eyelash. with this fuse popped the headunit tries to seek a ground through the rca's. this can wear out your speakers a lot faster than they should because of constant flutter. any authorized pioneer benchtech can fix this problem in less than an hour if he can get right to it. just taking a couple extra steps during the install will save a lot of headaches later on.

in defense for pioneer, i agree they make a beautiful deck at a great value. i sure do love mine.

Very nice find towncar!!!:veryhapp:

CRXican
10-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Very nice find towncar!!!:veryhapp:

great, now I read this after I already did the noob move of cutting off the ring on the ground and attaching it to the factory ground in the harness

:furious:

if I have to get this thing worked on I might just throw it into traffic and buy something else

dkguitarist
10-31-2006, 03:24 PM
great, now I read this after I already did the noob move of cutting off the ring on the ground and attaching it to the factory ground in the harness

:furious:

if I have to get this thing worked on I might just throw it into traffic and buy something else

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. that's why i always leave the ring on and ground it to the car's chassis. that's a helluva better ground than the car's stock harness ground. idk why anyone would cut it off in the first place. pisses me off every time. :mad:

hzsogood
10-31-2006, 03:28 PM
i've noticed a lot of people having issues with getting sudden alternator noise with their pioneer headunit. if you suddenly get alternator noise, you probably popped the microfuse inside the deck thanks to a poor ground. with a pioneer you MUST ground the chassis of the headunit to the chassis of your vehicle. same with the main ground. if you don't, you will pop that microfuse that's less than half the size of an eyelash. with this fuse popped the headunit tries to seek a ground through the rca's. this can wear out your speakers a lot faster than they should because of constant flutter. any authorized pioneer benchtech can fix this problem in less than an hour if he can get right to it. just taking a couple extra steps during the install will save a lot of headaches later on.

in defense for pioneer, i agree they make a beautiful deck at a great value. i sure do love mine.

What other ground is he talking about >? is there 2 or what

ramos
10-31-2006, 03:30 PM
THink he means to ground the actual chassis of the head unit , and the ground wire :)

dkguitarist
10-31-2006, 03:36 PM
THink he means to ground the actual chassis of the head unit , and the ground wire :)

yup yup.

hzsogood
10-31-2006, 03:39 PM
gotcha;)

CRXican
10-31-2006, 04:21 PM
if it ain't broke, don't fix it. that's why i always leave the ring on and ground it to the car's chassis. that's a helluva better ground than the car's stock harness ground. idk why anyone would cut it off in the first place. pisses me off every time. :mad:

so where is there a decent ground point inside the dash? It seems silly to try and find something to screw that little ring to when the factory ground is already there.

I guess this explains why my local shop chose Alpine AND Kenwood over Pioneer. If I have them install the rest of my system and alternator noise shows up I'm fubared cause my friend and I installed the headunit. So lame.

klepto
10-31-2006, 05:07 PM
How do you ground the chassis of the hu?

CRXican
10-31-2006, 05:11 PM
is there anyway to tell if the fuse is blown?

I have yet to install an amp/rcas

Towncar
10-31-2006, 05:13 PM
is there anyway to tell if the fuse is blown?

I have yet to install an amp/rcas

Just install the amp first, not need to get all worked up about it yet.

ramos
10-31-2006, 05:42 PM
How do you ground the chassis of the hu?

Wire from the chassis of the hu itself , connected to the chassis of the vehicle. Which is kind of an antiquated way of doing things . Many moons ago most head units included a grounding strap for this purpose :)

klepto
10-31-2006, 06:04 PM
It would be cool to gound the chassis and the ground wire in the same place, yes?

Would 16ga speaker wire be suffice to ground the chassis?

xploit2
10-31-2006, 06:56 PM
It would be cool to gound the chassis and the ground wire in the same place, yes?

Would 16ga speaker wire be suffice to ground the chassis?

I would use 12ga wire. and to wire both to the same place would be BEST.

JimJ
10-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Many moons ago most head units included a grounding strap for this purpose

I thought the sole purpose of a backstrap was to torment the living hell out of you when you can't figure out why the **** deck won't come out of the dash :D...I lost my shaft-deck virginity on a friend's '71 Benz, and I have absolutely no desire to go back...ISO or bust.

vladd
10-31-2006, 07:07 PM
Lets hope this works when i get the new 880 in, sent my last one in cause of the humm

xploit2
10-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Lets hope this works when i get the new 880 in, sent my last one in cause of the humm

just make sure u have good grounds like mentioned above u should be fine :D cuz both the 880PRS and the 780MP are beautifull units!

vladd
10-31-2006, 07:46 PM
i did when i first installed it, a good chassis ground, and still had the noise, of course it was only a ground fromt he 880s harness, not chassis of the 880, next install it'll be two grounds one from chassis of 880 and one from harness both probably going directly to the battery.

xploit2
10-31-2006, 07:50 PM
i did when i first installed it, a good chassis ground, and still had the noise, of course it was only a ground fromt he 880s harness, not chassis of the 880, next install it'll be two grounds one from chassis of 880 and one from harness both probably going directly to the battery.

Hummm.. that means the fuse was already blown and the ground was coming out of the RCA's <--which u didnt ground.

vladd
10-31-2006, 07:56 PM
i actually tried grounding the RCA's later, it actually made the alt whine worse. i think the unit just had probs from the factory

JunkTitleGolf
10-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Ok I must be a noob or something but how do you ground RCAs? And my pioneer doesn't whine at all. And it's through the stock wiring...it's also an older model though. But the other page mentioned about it being a problem. Am I just lucky?

vladd
10-31-2006, 08:18 PM
i owned a 960 (went fully active with that) and a 7700 (HU power) and neither had noise, the 880 ONLY had noise when using the preouts for my frontstage, if you use HU power there was nothing.

xploit2
10-31-2006, 08:38 PM
after reading all this if you guys Had the money for both the CD7000 and the 880prs which one would you go with?? and why?

vladd
10-31-2006, 10:26 PM
7000, cause the 880 is hit or miss

CRXican
10-31-2006, 10:33 PM
had I known about all this ****, I wouldn't have bought the 880

klepto
10-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Where are there places on the chassis to attatch a wire and how would you go about attatching it. Could you attatch it to the sleeve that the hu sits in or does it have to be against the actualy hu chassis?

vladd
10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
i wouldn't do the sleeve, there is a place on the main back that i attached my ground, hard to explain though

klepto
10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Which part do you speak of?

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5402/picture213lv9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Motovet
10-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Funny the same ground I used on the 880 worked for two other decks but not the PIO. Wished I would have known about their finicky ground requirements, as I spent more time than I should have looking for other sources of the noise. IF I decide to have another Pioneer sent I guess I'll do the massive grounding, cause I'm sure as hell not taping ground wires around the rca's and calling it good.

klepto
10-31-2006, 11:37 PM
How does this look for a chassis ground you guys?

I attatched some 10ga speaker copper speaker wire to the small screw that holds on the antenna wire. Will it cause distortion to have the ground wire sharing metal with the antenna attatchment?

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1148/picture214dx1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

xploit2
11-01-2006, 12:10 AM
wow klepto it looks nice! I wonder if that is a good grounding point . It should I dont see why not. where did you get that ring and the cable from?..Its just perfect.

klepto
11-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Its just a small ring terminal i found in my garage. You can get them at Orchard Supply, Home Depot...places like that. The wire is 10ga speaker wire i had left oover from wiring my sub. Its from Knukonceotz.

vladd
11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
sorry, totally missed this post, when you bought your 880 there was a small doube sided screw thingy, short end fits in the back of the 880, thats how i attached my 2nd ground, your antenna spot should work fine though.

dewitt88
11-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I got the 7700MP and I only used harness ground and I get no whining or anything. Sounds perfect. Nice ground bro...

Motovet
11-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I got the 7700MP and I only used harness ground and I get no whining or anything. Sounds perfect. Nice ground bro...

I'm sure it's some kind of manufacturing defect SOME of these units have. I have never experianced this before, and two other HU's worked fine with the harness ground that wasen't good enough for the 880.....kinda *****:rolleyes:

dewitt88
11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah they are very nice decks....But a little out of my price range...Kinda glad I did not get one now...lol...Good luck yall! Hope it all works out for ya!!

CRXican
11-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah they are very nice decks....But a little out of my price range...Kinda glad I did not get one now...lol...Good luck yall! Hope it all works out for ya!!

I paid $250 for mine but I'm still annoyed. I'll be using a $600 amp and I have to worry about the stupid ground on the headunit making everything go to ****.

DoobieBrother
11-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I have the 880 and it's fine. Course, I'm running off head unit power at the moment. I'm about to setup the amp in my sig and use the pre-outs. Right now I'm grounded just with harness. Soldered of course, but that's it. When I install the amp, I'll guess I'll use kelpto's technique. Hopefully it'll be fine.

CRXican
11-02-2006, 04:53 PM
I have the 880 and it's fine. Course, I'm running off head unit power at the moment. I'm about to setup the amp in my sig and use the pre-outs. Right now I'm grounded just with harness. Soldered of course, but that's it. When I install the amp, I'll guess I'll use kelpto's technique. Hopefully it'll be fine.

please keep us updated

bigbangtheory
11-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I just installed my 880 and everything is fine. I get no noise or whine that you speak of and just basically hooked it up like my other Pioneer that was in there, the 7600 model. I absoutley love this deck, but it is a pain setting everything up.

vladd
11-02-2006, 11:59 PM
you running everything active bigbangtheory?

suleman36
11-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Quick Question guys....

I have a 1999 Ford Crown Victoria and i installed a Pioneer Premier 780 today and i didnt use the harness ground from the HU. I didnt use any ground. All i did was plug in the radio antenna wire to the back of the deck for the radio and i guess that is the ground for the radio because the sound came on and everything sounds great.

I know alot of stock radios on cars use the antenna as a ground.

Strange cause this is my first time with this type of situation.

Let me know guys.

Towncar
11-03-2006, 12:14 AM
what did you wanna know, you didnt even ask a question? Are you wondering if the antena is a good enough ground? If thats what your wondering, I would ground it somewhere else aswell, but thats just me. Who knows you may not have any problems.

suleman36
11-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah i wanted to know if the antenna is the ground in my case. Should i leave it like this until i use the preouts with amps ? It works great right now.