PDA

View Full Version : Component speaker selection - help needed!

msubullyfan
10-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi, everyone!

Noob to the forums, but I'm really impressed with what I've seen around here so far.

I'm looking to upgrade the speakers to my system and am looking for some recommendations.

I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab truck. I have a Rockford Fosgate P450.4 amp powering Alpine SPS-69C3 in the front and SPS-17C2 in the rear with the (crappy) factory dash tweeters still installed. I also have a P200.2 amp powering a 10" RF P210S4 subwoofer.

I'd like some good components for the front and better full-range for the rear. I mostly listen to guitar-driven rock and my general complaint about the existing speakers is lack of highs and "muddy" mid-range.

There's limited space in the factory front 6x9 cavity, so the components will likely have to be 6.5". Also, I'm looking to install the new tweeters in the factory dash location (I know -- not ideal, but I don't want to start modding the interior).

Looking to spend $200(ish) on the comps and about half that for the rears.

Any and all suggestions would certainly be appreciated!!!!

PremierAudio
10-31-2006, 08:08 AM
CDT makes a 6x9 component now. Doesnt sound bad at all!

msubullyfan
10-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the input! I truly do appreciate it!

Unfortunately, unless it's a shallow-mount, it probably won't fit. I've got 3" or less mouning depth available (and little room for spacers due to the door panel being tight to the speaker face).

I'm not nearly as familiar with CDT as with some of the larger-name brands (Infinity, JL, Polk, etc. etc.). Could someone please point me to a good place to learn more???

I was leaning towards Polk db6500 in front (I think I'd like a silky tweeter better) and db650 in the rear. Comments/suggestions?

Also, does anyone know anything about the Rockford Fosgate T162S?

SpasticGramps
10-31-2006, 07:25 PM
http://www.cdtaudio.com/6x9_series.htm There is a link to the CDT 6x9 components. They are $200. I don't know the mounting depth though. I think it would be very close if at all possible. Most CDT speakers are beefy little things.

As far as CDT itself. Its a great company that makes awesome awesome speakers. You won't find them in Best Buy or CC. They are top of the line and reasonably priced. Their tweeters are silk too. Very laid back but extremely accurate. You can jam them as loud as you want and not hurt your ears.

I'd recommend doing a search on this forum about CDT you'll learn alot.

msubullyfan
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Never heard of CDT -- I'll have to check them out! I'm a bit nervous about buying a speaker I can't hear before installing it, though!