PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much??? enclosure volume

hzsogood
10-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Just wondering benefits or downsides of going bigger with a enclosure , im bored and am gonna build a few enclosures for my 12w7 , So is there a rule of thumb on how big you can go without sacrificing spl and output

iamamp3pimp
10-30-2006, 05:20 PM
sealed = double the VAS

ported - i make em as big as i can get em

hzsogood
10-30-2006, 06:06 PM
sealed = double the VAS

But in spl enclosures dont you usually make them a lil small with a bigger port, pressure encosure? Unless there in a wall

hzsogood
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
sealed = double the VAS

and you meant 1/2 vas right?

iamamp3pimp
10-30-2006, 06:38 PM
no, i meant double.

and it depends.

you want to go big without sacrificing output (by your own accord) *what it says up there*

if you are going SPL only then a smaller box is in order.

hzsogood
10-30-2006, 06:42 PM
no, i meant double.

and it depends.

you want to go big without sacrificing output (by your own accord) *what it says up there*

if you are going SPL only then a smaller box is in order.

well the vas of a 12w7 is around 2,6 ^ ft.. The only thing i could see a near 5^ft sealed box for is HT

Immacomputer
10-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Doubling the Vas is the point where you're going too big and the sub is going to start sounding like it was on an infinite baffle. At double the Vas, you are putting your Qtc close to the Qts of the driver. Theoretically, when the Qtc is very close to the Qts of the driver, it's performing free-air.

hzsogood
10-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Doubling the Vas is the point where you're going too big and the sub is going to start sounding like it was on an infinite baffle. At double the Vas, you are putting your Qtc close to the Qts of the driver. Theoretically, when the Qtc is very close to the Qts of the driver, it's performing free-air.

so basically you amd iamamp3pimp are 180 degrees different... like i said from the beginning i just wanna build i nice sealed box for it and a pressure enclosure to just do some testing, since i really dont think my 2.2^ ft enclosure w 25 ^ inches of port tuned low is the top # ill see on the TL.. which at this point is 143.6 @ 46 hz

Immacomputer
10-30-2006, 10:01 PM
I think he was saying that the max you should go sealed would be double the Vas and I think that is going a little too far.

When going sealed, I usually shoot for a Qtc around .707 or slightly below that. For the 12w7, that would be around 2-2.3 cubes. This would give you good low end extension and decent efficiency.

iamamp3pimp
10-30-2006, 11:01 PM
I think he was saying that the max you should go sealed would be double the Vas and I think that is going a little too far.

thats what i was saying, as your ? was how big is too big.

hzsogood
10-31-2006, 01:36 AM
So what will happen in the long run when i do a enclosure @ 2.2 sealed compared to yhe 1.75 sealed that jl recomends.. and what will it do to the tuning part of it

iamamp3pimp
10-31-2006, 03:35 AM
it will bring out the low end a little more, compared to that recommended enclosure.

hzsogood
10-31-2006, 03:40 AM
it will bring out the low end a little more, compared to that recommended enclosure.

aaaahhhhh k... So is that just another "daily" enclosure setup used by many? id love to see what this expensive pos can do in a sealed enclosure thats meant to be tuned low ( or however you do or say it ) sealed

hzsogood
10-31-2006, 05:01 AM
cuz i need the 150 deebeez of 1 12 ya know.. sealed..

Immacomputer
10-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Sealed enclosures aren't "tuned" to anything. By changing the box size, you change the characteristics of the sound though. If you want high SPL from a sealed enclosure and something that will be terrible for daily, .5 cubic feet would probably fit the bill. This will reduce low end output and will reduce thermal power handling though. It will be pretty loud at higher frequencies (around 60-90hz). A w7 really isn't something to try this with though...