PDA

View Full Version : Worklog : Slot ported box for 12" TC-1000

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 05:23 PM
I know a lot of people enjoy build logs so here ya go. So far I've cut everything and painted the port. I also rounded the port edges. It's gonna be around 3-3.4 cu ft NET, I don't remember the exact number, and it's tuned to around 24-25 hz. It has 25 sq in of port area which is more than TC recommends.

The front baffle is double thick and everything else is 3/4" MDF.

Pieces all together, paint cans that I used. Got them from Lowes for 3.12 a piece IIRC.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/boxbuild1.jpg

The speaker cutout was made with a jigsaw. It's about the 4th speaker hole I've made with a jigaw and I'm becoming exceedingly efficient at it (sorry I just watched The Matrix Reloaded :)) seriously though I am much better now than when I made my first hole.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/boxbuild2.jpg

Close up of one port wall. Used 1/2" bit on my router to make the curve. I also used some wood filler on the edges of the MDF then sanded to make smooth and ready to paint. I also sanded the MDF of course. 320 grit I believe.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/boxbuild3.jpg

I'm gonna glue it now, and I'm gonna use the least amount of screws possible, hopefully none at all, but I only have 2 long and 2 shorter clamps so screws might be required.

kicker06
10-29-2006, 05:52 PM
NICE.

What Paint are you using?

Did you Prime?

dewitt88
10-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Nice! Keep up the good work!!

ultimate157
10-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Port wall looks super **** ... great job.

Calikid
10-29-2006, 08:11 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/boxbuild1.jpg

NICE.

Did you Prime?

i think he does, u see that gray spray can. ;)

saywhat?
10-29-2006, 08:12 PM
its always fun watching someone do things THE RIGHT way.

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 08:27 PM
NICE.

Did you Prime?

This paint and primer from Lowes.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/cans.jpg

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Port wall looks super **** ... great job.

Thanks. They were fun to do. I like spray painting. Every piece I did got progressively lazier and lazier :), but they all came out good. The first piece I sanded first, then applied about 10 coats of very thin primer, sanded, then 10 coats of flat black very thin with a sanding before the final 2 layers. That took way too long and was not needed. So I did heavier and less layers for the rest, still came out great.

mazdakid
10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
i wonder whats with the small port they say to use with such a big box

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 08:40 PM
i wonder whats with the small port they say to use with such a big box

I think it's because they didn't want to recommend anything that needed to be bent to make it as simple as possible for everyone to build. The 4 in port that they suggest is only like 12.5 in² though, and I doubt that is optimal. I doubled their port area number so I think I'm good.

mazdakid
10-29-2006, 08:50 PM
what kinda music do you listen to that you want it tuned so low?

PhatTonyDeMarco
10-29-2006, 08:52 PM
God that is a low tuning... Should sound AMAZING. Looks great so far man, keep it up.

ssj2xxgotenxx
10-29-2006, 08:53 PM
That box is going to turn out great.

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 09:13 PM
what kinda music do you listen to that you want it tuned so low?

Church organs.... I keed I keed :)

Mostly rap/R&B.

It's not that I want the low tuning really, I just want flat response, and this sub has a 19 hz fs and needs to be tuned real low for flat response, also I've measured the response of it sealed in my car and to make it flat from 25-60hz this is the box that I will need according to the modeling I've done.

I figured I'd get some comments on the tuning :D. Lowest tuning ever for a car setup FTW.

ngsm13
10-29-2006, 09:25 PM
What did you measure the response with in your vehicle?

Also, any modeling on a computer is pointless for in-car ;).

I think it would be an EXCELLENT box for HT duty, actually my Rl-i12 (same sub) is in 3.2cubes @22hz w/ 30 sq. in. of port.

Box looks excellent, tuning any lower than 28hz is just superfluous... you might as well seal it. Personally, I like 30hz or above. Need help getting it flat... get an EQ ;)

Solid job.

nG

80INCHES
10-29-2006, 09:27 PM

can u pm me names of church organ songs

pipe organs ftw

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 09:30 PM
What did you measure the response with in your vehicle?

Used a rat shack SPL meter and corrected the numbers. C-weighted and all that.

Also, any modeling on a computer is pointless for in-car ;).

I think it would be an EXCELLENT box for HT duty, actually my Rl-i12 (same sub) is in 3.2cubes @22hz w/ 30 sq. in. of port.

Very similar to my box. Modeling isn't the best for in home either ;). I tried to use the modeling and the car's response together.

Box looks excellent, tuning any lower than 28hz is just superfluous... you might as well seal it. Personally, I like 30hz or above. Need help getting it flat... get an EQ ;)

Solid job.

nG

Thanks, don't worry EQ is coming to flatten 65-80 hz.

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Progress pic.

I really messed up one of the sides and had to break it off, now i have to wait for the glue to dry on the ends before sanding it off to reglue :blackeye:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/frontbox.jpg

BTW I actually have good handwrinting, that "round" was written in a tight wierd angle. Also that dark ring between the MDF on the cutout is from a blue sharpie marker.

ngsm13
10-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Lawl... who cares about handwriting ;).

Looks good, you gona paint the entire box? Or carpet...?

nG

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I was going between truck liner spray or carpet, leaning towards carpet.

I know handwriting doesn't matter, but I normally take pride in my lettering skills :) That looks like I could be in the special olympics.

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 10:25 PM
can u pm me names of church organ songs

pipe organs ftw

The "I keed" means I kid, joking, don't listen to organs.

saywhat?
10-29-2006, 10:26 PM
pipe organs give **** bass.

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 10:28 PM
pipe organs give **** bass.

:word:

Lowest organ note is 8.18 hz :eek:

This is the organ that can play it.

http://www.theatreorgans.com/sydney/sydney6.jpg

SQBubble
10-29-2006, 10:32 PM
veryyy clean lookin' box, keep it upp !!

kicker06
10-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Thats a THIN Port.

Big Dee
10-29-2006, 11:19 PM
True, but it's more than enough. It's just 1 12" TC-1000. I finally figured out how to fix my angle problem on the side, it's moving along again. Should be about done in an hour or so. I can only do 1 side every half hour because I don't have enough clamps and I'm not using screws.

Big Dee
10-30-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm going to finish up tomorrow, I'm too tired to finish tonight and I have to work tomorrow morning.

Had to use a few screws, oh well. One of the sides is pretty much held on with screws only, I hope that doesn't cause a problem.

The only thing left now is the top and bottom pieces, then carpet.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/boxtopopen.jpg

I'm getting rid of the brace in the port opening where the black is, but I'm gonna keep the other 2 braces. The one in the port will be turned sideways to let the air flow easier.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/newtop.jpg

ngsm13
10-30-2006, 02:41 AM
I'd take both the braces in the port out... once the top and the bottom are on... they're hold it secure. Also, with the driver and power you're using... as well as tuning... won't be too much flex/pressure.

Great approach, I've always built around using the bottom of the top to build onto... looks good.

nG

~Magick_Man~
10-30-2006, 03:49 AM
i believe the braces in the port (the two small ones) are to hold everything in place and hold the box together since he doesnt have a top or bottom to tie everything together.
so i would immagine they will come out when he puts on the top/bottom.

but i could be wrong.
either way that is a secksy looking box.

~Magick_Man~

ngsm13
10-30-2006, 04:02 AM
i believe the braces in the port (the two small ones) are to hold everything in place and hold the box together since he doesnt have a top or bottom to tie everything together.
so i would immagine they will come out when he puts on the top/bottom.

but i could be wrong.
either way that is a secksy looking box.

~Magick_Man~

Reading > you.

nG

iamamp3pimp
10-30-2006, 04:27 AM

Mostly rap/R&B.

It's not that I want the low tuning really, I just want flat response, and this sub has a 19 hz fs and needs to be tuned real low for flat response, also I've measured the response of it sealed in my car and to make it flat from 25-60hz this is the box that I will need according to the modeling I've done.

I figured I'd get some comments on the tuning :D. Lowest tuning ever for a car setup FTW.

check this out. (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92372&highlight=uberwoofer+slowdown)

I love your box, but i beg to differ on the lowest tuning ever......

I support that BTW....i loved that box. it was my favorite.

~Magick_Man~
10-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Reading > you.

nG

:crap:

~Magick_Man~

Big Dee
10-30-2006, 06:47 PM
[/b]

check this out. (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92372&highlight=uberwoofer+slowdown)

I love your box, but i beg to differ on the lowest tuning ever......

I support that BTW....i loved that box. it was my favorite.

I wasn't being literal about the lowest tuning, it was just to say that it's a really low tuning compared to most car boxes. BTW I measured everything and it didn't come out like I wanted, I should have made it bigger, it came out to 2.6 ft², I was aiming for about 3.2 ish, but I can't really make it much bigger and have any room to reach anything in my Integra's trunk. Round ports would have saved some room.

The tuning is 23.8 hz :naughty:.

BTW that box you made is very cool.

Big Dee
10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
:crap:

~Magick_Man~

Don't feel bad, you were right about why I put the braces in in the first place, it was just to get the box squared up so the top and bottom would line up right, but I figured since they are already in, I might as well keep them to make the box ultra dead.

iamamp3pimp
10-30-2006, 07:31 PM
I wasn't being literal about the lowest tuning, it was just to say that it's a really low tuning compared to most car boxes. BTW I measured everything and it didn't come out like I wanted, I should have made it bigger, it came out to 2.6 ft², I was aiming for about 3.2 ish, but I can't really make it much bigger and have any room to reach anything in my Integra's trunk. Round ports would have saved some room.

The tuning is 23.8 hz :naughty:.

BTW that box you made is very cool.

thanks.

now that 23.8 might make it the lowest car tuned ever.

lower than anything ive ever done.

Big Dee
10-30-2006, 08:16 PM
thanks.

now that 23.8 might make it the lowest car tuned ever.

lower than anything ive ever done.

:woot:

Top being glued with the help of my little buddy the old sealed box and sub on top.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/almost.jpg

ssj2xxgotenxx
10-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Are you building that thing inside your house? Looks really good so far, keep up the good work.

Big Dee
10-31-2006, 01:42 AM
Yeah I'm putting it together in my living room :)

It's done now except for the carpet and the binding posts that I will order a little later. For now I'll run the wires through the port or just drill some holes in the back.

The silicon and glue are drying now, I'll take some pics tomorrow when I put the sub in.

Big Dee
11-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Using almost a whole sheet of MDF for a box makes is heavy. Man, the first time I went to pick it up I was surprised. This should be fun getting it in the trunk by myself.

Pics of it finished coming in a few minutes.

Big Dee
11-01-2006, 02:45 AM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/portedtc-10002.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/DigitalShaolin/portedtc-1000.jpg

Can't listen to it today :(

Can't wait to run some 20 hz sine waves through this bad boy.

iamamp3pimp
11-01-2006, 03:54 AM
it looks great but the top came out to be a little small.

do you have a router?

iamamp3pimp
11-01-2006, 03:55 AM
if you do, making the top a tad too big, and flush trinning it gives you a ferfect fir every time.

thanks for the tips on painting tho, im gonna have to step up my painted box game a little biot now.

-Robin

Big Dee
11-01-2006, 03:59 AM
It's not so much the top being small as it is being a little off square.

It's functional though, so I'm happy, and yes I have a router, nice tip on the top and bottom, thanks.

I need some good angle clamps and about 8 more straight clamps for my next build, screw screws :)

I actually messed up the paint while building. One tip that I wish I would have done, after the paint dries tape all painted areas of the port until the box is done, then take it off.

iamamp3pimp
11-01-2006, 12:48 PM
i was thinking that might happen, but that paint looked so good it looked invincible.

lol

ssj2xxgotenxx
11-01-2006, 06:13 PM
i was thinking that might happen, but that paint looked so good it looked invincible.

lol

That's exactly what I was thinking. The build quality was incredible with all the clamps, paint, and attention to detail. Too bad it didn't come out perfect, but works the same nevertheless. I think the order of connectivity contributes to the overall, "squareness" of the box. I prefer to build from the bottom up. More specifically, bottom, side, back, side, front, port (if applicable), and top. I would like to hear some other approaches to build order.

Big Dee
11-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I feel like I let you guys down :)

This is only my second box ever built so I'm still learning. I figured it wouldn't come out perfectly square because I don't have good angle clamps, if I did it would have been perfect I think. The cheap ones I bought from Lowes are so off they don't even have a right to be called 90 degree angle clamps.

BTW it sounds outstanding, it seems about as loud as it was before, but I can feel it much more, the lows really vibrate everything now, and the SQ seems to be as good as the sealed box as far as "tightness" goes. I'm gonna graph the response today and see exactly how much I gained.

I don't care a lot about it coming about perfect, I consider this box to be a test piece to learn from, since it's my first time building a ported box. If I really wanted a nice looking box I would have fiberglassed the front baffle with some cool curves and painted it candy red to match my car. That's what I'm going to do with my next box.

Big Dee
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Measured the frequency response. The ported box did exactly what I wanted it to do, and expected (my modeling worked ngsm13 :D). It's now much more flat than it used to be. 60hz and 20hz now play at the exact same levels with no eq at all, compared to the sealed box which dropped 10 dB. The best way to put the difference is to say that it's more complete and full. It still drops a lot after 60 hz though, I don't know what's going on there, I actually think that my amps crossover is affecting those frequencies even if I set the crossover at "300" hz. Basically the crossover is fubar'ed and there's no way to get around it.

Very satisfied.

iamamp3pimp
11-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Very satisfied.

thats all that matters, and you didnt let me down.

everything minus the top is berfect.

and my approach is back, side, bottom, side, port, top, front.

PowerNaudio
11-01-2006, 09:25 PM
you did a great job on the enclosure. specialy if this is only your second build.
im also glad to hear that the tc-1000 sound very good.
since im about to start my own build for the tc-3000. lol

btw how did you measure the freq responce for the enclosure/sub setup?

80INCHES
11-01-2006, 09:33 PM
hows the output

it looks really good

Big Dee
11-01-2006, 10:36 PM
you did a great job on the enclosure. specialy if this is only your second build.
im also glad to hear that the tc-1000 sound very good.
since im about to start my own build for the tc-3000. lol

btw how did you measure the freq responce for the enclosure/sub setup?

I used a radio shack spl meter and some test tones that I generated with a program. I measured from 20-90 hz in 5 hz steps. I'm not sure on how to correct the values though, I used some correction numbers that I found, but then I found out that it's for the old meter, so I found some new ones to use. Either way it's much better now than it was before.

I love the sound personally, and it digs deep with this box as you could imagine with the low tuning.

hows the output

it looks really good

Thanks.

I don't have any tools to measure the output, the radio shack meter doesn't go high enough, but it's pretty good, I need more power though, I'm only pushing 350 watts to it right now, I plan on getting a new amp soon and I want to send it around 700 watts, I think it could take it. That's 3 more DEE BEEEEES right thur :) It moves pretty **** well for 300 watts though.

ty1er
11-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Very Very nice.

iamamp3pimp
11-04-2006, 06:07 AM
You need to get the Esss Oueues from Vetkilr to boost the output.

springy101
11-04-2006, 07:21 AM

que?

Lil Poot
11-04-2006, 07:50 AM
nice job on the box, and thats a hell of a nice circle for a jigsaw. i noticed you said you have a router though, why not use it for the circle and get it perfect?

Big Dee
11-04-2006, 07:37 PM
nice job on the box, and thats a hell of a nice circle for a jigsaw. i noticed you said you have a router though, why not use it for the circle and get it perfect?

I bought a circle guide for my router that was too big and I didn't have money to buy another one right away so I just said screw it. Next time I'm using a jasper jig though.

Big Dee
11-04-2006, 07:38 PM

No idea what you're talking about.

iamamp3pimp
11-04-2006, 07:58 PM
lmao its an inside joke between me and Joel about SQ and some setup we were thinkin of doing n his car.

now everthing is esss queues