PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a box design tutorial/sticky?

bonesninja
10-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Anyone with the knowledge of doing so, interested in making a sticky of the basic concepts of box designing. i can pretty figure out box sizes and shyt like that but i'm really interested in is how to figure out tuning when designing custom boxs. For instance, if i'm designing a custom enclosure, how exactly do i know how many sq inches of port and how do i know what length= what tuning. math equations would be very helpful. I also understand that there are programs that will do all the work for me but i am more interested in gaining the knowledge.

PhatTonyDeMarco
10-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I support this, I hate using programs because they are not always accurate.. Especially WinISD, son of a *****....

Big Dee
10-28-2006, 12:51 PM
WinISD should be fairly accurate for calculating port tuning, but if you want the best get LEAP.

PhatTonyDeMarco
10-28-2006, 12:54 PM
WinISD should be fairly accurate for calculating port tuning, but if you want the best get LEAP.

...OR someone could explain the mathematics behind it so I can be sure the number is accurate. :)

Flipx99
10-28-2006, 12:57 PM
...OR someone could explain the mathematics behind it so I can be sure the number is accurate. :)

x2....better than some 'rule of thumb' of 16" per cf. I would not think this is true for all applications. If you are wanting a different type of sound, how does port area change or is all always about port length.

www.diysubwoofers.org has the math. It works for most apps, except when shooting for 6th order. The ABC boxes looks like they will work and I may try it soon if I can figure out a way to not have the sub face up.

xluben
10-28-2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?Car_Audio=Subwoofer%20Box%20Volume%20 Calculator

read. everything you need to know is online somewhere.

bonesninja
10-29-2006, 01:49 PM
well i see people are readily posting links to calculators but what i asked for is some theory here.

xluben
10-29-2006, 02:02 PM
theory?

just use the equations already posted.

davidfre21
10-29-2006, 02:29 PM
i guess after uve made enough u just kinda get an idea what u need.... just from building boxes up the *** (sometimes 3-4 a weekend)

ive got a good idea of what tunings i like to do what i need
general box volumes and how they will effect sound and
what the right port areas will do for ya..

i cant really go in depth with any of it though :crap: