PDA

View Full Version : partical board

xxxpower
10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
is partical board good wood to make a box for 2 12s i dont really know alot about all this car audio so a lilttle bit of help please

danteBirosel
10-27-2006, 02:32 PM
No, please use 3/4" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). They are like around $25 bucks a sheet.

JimJ
10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
No.

Stick with either MDF or baltic birch plywood.

bjfish11
10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
is partical board good wood to make a box for 2 12s i dont really know alot about all this car audio so a lilttle bit of help please

No

Lil Poot
10-27-2006, 02:34 PM
i thought about trying some birch with my latest box, but wanted to stick with what i know. how does working with it compare to mdf? harder to cut? less messy? its heavier too, right?

danteBirosel
10-27-2006, 02:34 PM
No.

Stick with either MDF or baltic birch plywood.

This is some good *** quality wood too. Lighter than MDF. But a bit more expensive than MDF.

JimJ
10-27-2006, 02:37 PM
i thought about trying some birch with my latest box, but wanted to stick with what i know. how does working with it compare to mdf? harder to cut? less messy? its heavier too, right?

It's a little easier on your saw blades, and doesn't put as much formaldeyhede (sp?) in the air when cutting it :D

But make sure to get 13-ply marine-grade stuff if you want to get fancy with the edges, the cheap stuff you find at Lowe's will chip as soon as you put a roundover on the edges...

theCybe
10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Birch is much lighter - on your next trip to the hardware store, lift a sheet. Then lift the MDF.

Unfortunately, my (second-to) last enclosure I built from birchply, but it was only 0.5"

0.75" would've been great.

Abel
10-27-2006, 07:26 PM
It's a little easier on your saw blades, and doesn't put as much formaldeyhede (sp?) in the air when cutting it :D

But make sure to get 13-ply marine-grade stuff if you want to get fancy with the edges, the cheap stuff you find at Lowe's will chip as soon as you put a roundover on the edges...

Yes good pboard is fine for box's, i use it for all my builds and it holds up great.

tommyk90
10-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Speaking of birch, i made a new box today with some. :D

It cost $40 for a sheet, but man is it sooooooooo much easier to work with. WAY less dusty, which makes for easy cleanup.

Also, its weighs a BUNCH less than MDF. I made a 4 cube box today that took up over half a sheet, and I'd be surprised if the box weighed more than 20 pounds.

Though the stuff I got today wasn't quite as good as the last sheet. :( More little air pockets in it and whatnot, but meh. Although, I think I may have gotten the "cheaper" stuff. The other stuff was $40+tax, and I thought I remembered the total coming to $40, so I got that stuff. But both types are still stronger and lighter than MDF.

Randy Savage
10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
I use particle board because it helps flatten the impedance curve.

:uhoh:

LeofromtheH
10-27-2006, 07:36 PM
so is it(birchwood) the same size sheets as mdf? and is it thatj much more expensive the mdf? is it really worth it to get it if you're looking for a lighter enclosure?

JimJ
10-27-2006, 07:36 PM
:D

Brilliant!

JimJ
10-27-2006, 07:37 PM
so is it(birchwood) the same size sheets as mdf? and is it thatj much more expensive the mdf?

Yes, and yes.

BB ply comes in 4x8 full sheets and the smaller cut pieces, just like MDF...

helotaxi
10-27-2006, 07:40 PM
The really good stuff is more than $40 a sheet and you won't find it at Lowes or Home Depot. The 7 ply stuff they have at Lowes is lighter and stronger than MDF but it has some voids in it. You really want 13+ ply marine grade birch. Not any heavier than the 7 ply but doesn't have the voids.

Much easier on saw blades and router bits than MDF and easier on your lungs, too. Makes real sawdust when cut as oposed to talcum power size particles that are a PITA to control/clean as well.

helotaxi
10-27-2006, 07:45 PM
so is it(birchwood) the same size sheets as mdf? and is it that much more expensive the mdf? is it really worth it to get it if you're looking for a lighter enclosure?

It is more than twice the price for the good stuff and is seriously close to half the weight. If you are truly concerned about weight, it's the only way to go. My last MDF enclosure was 2cf @ 28Hz with a single XXX and weighed more than my whole current system including amps, subs and fiberglass enclosure with birch ply baffle. The current amp rack is all birch ply (much stronger than MDF) and weighs next to nothing.

tommyk90
10-27-2006, 07:47 PM
The really good stuff is more than $40 a sheet and you won't find it at Lowes or Home Depot. The 7 ply stuff they have at Lowes is lighter and stronger than MDF but it has some voids in it. You really want 13+ ply marine grade birch. Not any heavier than the 7 ply but doesn't have the voids.

Much easier on saw blades and router bits than MDF and easier on your lungs, too. Makes real sawdust when cut as oposed to talcum power size particles that are a PITA to control/clean as well.

The stuff I use is more than 7-ply, but it cost $40. :)

And I got it from home depot. :uhoh:

:p:

CBFryman2
10-27-2006, 07:50 PM
I use particle board because it helps flatten the impedance curve.

:uhoh:

No No No, it directs sound waves into the port. DUH!

tommyk90
10-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Here's a pic of the stuff I used on my new box.

$40 at home depot

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/tommyk90/PA270180.jpg

Has more voids in it than the last sheet I used, but the stuff still rocks.

helotaxi
10-27-2006, 07:55 PM
The stuff I use is more than 7-ply, but it cost $40. :)

And I got it from home depot. :uhoh:

:p:

You've got a better HD near you than I've ever been in then. The one by my house is the ****. I go to Lowes when I need wood of any kind. One of these days I'll go to the trouble of finding a god lumber yard. Probably do that when I go to build my home cabinets.

tommyk90
10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
You've got a better HD near you than I've ever been in then. The one by my house is the ****. I go to Lowes when I need wood of any kind. One of these days I'll go to the trouble of finding a god lumber yard. Probably do that when I go to build my home cabinets.

Yeah, you know, my HD ain't half bad.

They have that 7 ply birch plywood you are talking about, forgot how much it was per sheet though.

Although 3/4" MDF prices went up a bit in the past few weeks. I built a box for a buddy of mine about a month ago and it was $18 a sheet, now its up to $21+tax. :(

helotaxi
10-27-2006, 08:38 PM
The 7-ply that I got at Lowes here ran me on the order of $45 IIRC. That stuff you got looks really nice. I can't even get a straight piece of lumber that isn't torn to **** at the HD here.

tommyk90
10-27-2006, 08:41 PM
The 7-ply that I got at Lowes here ran me on the order of $45 IIRC. That stuff you got looks really nice. I can't even get a straight piece of lumber that isn't torn to **** at the HD here.

Haha, yeah. Sometimes I have to move 2 or 3 sheets of wood before I get to one that isn't all smashed up on the corners or edges. :crap:

But for the most part they carry pretty good stuff.

Lil Poot
11-04-2006, 06:08 AM
so wheres the best place to get marine grade 13 ply, just local lumbar yards? (non franchise, lowe's, hd)

CJL
11-04-2006, 09:41 AM
hmm for my next build im gonna have to try some birch :P