PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with front speakers

Biker
10-26-2006, 10:43 AM
I keep blowing my 2 front speakers because I like my music loud. My sub's are fine and my rear fill sounds fine but every speaker I put in the front end up blowing because I crank up the gain to high because I want it loud.

The last set I blew were Infinity perfect 6.1 rated at 100W RMS. Can anyone reccomend a 6.5" set that will handle more power like 200W RMS or something like that. Not worried about clairity or cost as much as I want Loud.

Thanks Biker

PremierAudio
10-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Well the gain is your problem then, first see the tutorial on how to set the gain. Second if its not loud enough get a bigger amp...your just wasting money blowing speakers most likely due to high distortion levels from a clipped amp... Look into some good components like CDT HD-62s and Rainbow Audio Profi or Power lines.. they will amaze you compared to those Infinities. Heck a lower level Soundline from Rainbow will blow those Infinities away...

iceteebone
10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
your clipping the amp wich is in turn blowing the speakers. the gain is not a volume knob :fyi:

Biker
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
May be I don't understand, OK so I set the gains according to the Tutoral and it isnt loud enough, So your saying get a bigger amp and set the gains according to the tutoral and it will be louder?

That doesn't make since to me. Right now using the tutoral my Rockford fosgate 8000 amp has the gain almost to zero. That tells me if I want to turn up the gain for more sounnd I need better speakers.

Please tell me where am going wrong.

Thanks
Biker

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Those Perfects are rated for 100w rms. Your amp is rated for 100w rms per channel at 4 ohms. Seems like a good match to be. However, if you want louder sound, you'll have to do the following:

1. Get a component set that is known to handle gobs of power, like the Crystal SSCS6's or CDT HD's.
2. Get an amp that can take the 5V preouts on your Kenwood KDC-MP928 since the P8004 only goes up to 4V.

Biker
10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Thank you very much, I noticed the Crystal SSCS6's are rated at 150Watts Continious so by doing the math I should have more gain which depending on the speaker construction should give me a louder sound.

I want to go that way but before I order the speakers could you explain to me what problems I will have with the Amp being that its not rated for the HU output voltage.

Thanks
Biker

DejaWiz
11-07-2006, 04:26 PM
1. Thank you very much, I noticed the Crystal SSCS6's are rated at 150Watts Continious

2. so by doing the math I should have more gain which depending on the speaker construction should give me a louder sound.

3. I want to go that way but before I order the speakers could you explain to me what problems I will have with the Amp being that its not rated for the HU output voltage.

Thanks
Biker

Sorry for digging up a slightly aging thread... I've been away doing things like getting married and buying and moving into a house.

1. The Crystals are rated higher, but to utilize them to their full potential you will need an amplifier that is rated appropriately.

2. Gain is not a volume control. Gain is used to match up to the RCA output voltage of the HU. More than this and the amp will exibit clipping, which is very bad for speakers.

3. If the amp can not match the RCA output voltage of the HU, then you might very well over stress the amp by setting the gain at max. In essence, you'll be running the amp at max gain, which in almost all circumstances will produce clipping. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, as this is the way I understand it.

T3mpest
11-08-2006, 03:14 AM
Not really a huge deal on the preamp. A HU rarely puts out max power, especially since most companies don't tell you what the THD is when the hu puts out it's max voltage. That's why most people set gains at 3/4 hu volume, to aviod clipping the hu, as well as giving you some play with low record volume tracks. Honestly, like everyone said, your trying to use the gain as a volume knob it's not. Read the gains setting tutorial, again, learn how gains actually work. Once you really know what they do you'll be better off.

PS. Going deaf is not fun:fyi: