PDA

View Full Version : Midbass Frequencies

Hintzyboy
10-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Ok, I'm thinking of trading a guy for a Memphis "Baby Belle" 16-MCH-600 or whatever the model number is. I want to run active using a set of CDT EF-61CF components and a pair of EF-8cf midbass woofers. My question is, are the midbass frequencies that would be playing on the EF-8s high enough to be directional. I wanted to power each of the mids and tweets from the comp set on separate channels, and then bridge the EF-8s on the 5th channel. I've never run active before, so I need some advice from the people here who are/have run active setups.

Thanks for the help,
Aaron

DejaWiz
10-25-2006, 09:47 PM
They are rated to respond up to 1000 Hz, and if you keep them lp'd at about 100-200 Hz (your ears, your preference) they'll do fine as lower end midbass fillers (if that's what you are getting them for). Are you running another amp and sub for the sub stage? If not, then lp those EF-8's at around 60-70 Hz and they should do a decent job.

Hintzyboy
10-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Yes, I'll be running either a Diamond D6, 2 Diamond D3s, or an Fi Q. I know that the EF-8s will be good for midbass, but will those frequencies (100-200Hz) be high enough to be directional or can I run 2 EF-8s on one channel?

squeak9798
10-26-2006, 10:30 AM
At 100hz you might be able to get away with it (but at that point, they'd be running such a limited bandwidth that using them would be a waste of money, power and real estate anyways....)

Going much higher than that, and you would really want to keep them in stereo.

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Do I have this understood correctly?

Three Way Front Stage (on Baby Belle):
1. EF-8
2. EF-61CF mids
3. CDT TW-25 tweets (or are they the 19's?)

Sub Stage:
1. Diamond D6, D3s, or Fi Q

Hintzyboy
10-26-2006, 11:54 AM
That is correct. Does anybody have any Idea of a good 6-channel amp that isn't outrageously priced?

helotaxi
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
How much power are you planning for the sub stage? Will the sub channel in the Belle work for your sub(s)? If so just get a Memphis MCA-150 to run the midbasses and use the sub channel on the Belle as intended.

Flipx99
10-26-2006, 01:05 PM
That is correct. Does anybody have any Idea of a good 6-channel amp that isn't outrageously priced?

There is not one that makes any type of power really.

3 way actice front stage plus sub, requires 3 amps to do it correctly to my knowledge.

CDT makes a semi-adjustable 3way passive crossover. I do not know if the belle will allow you to bridgethe channels twice (like running a 4 channel amp) and then run a sub amp. In this scenario, that would be the only amp you would need.

Hintzyboy
10-26-2006, 01:05 PM
No, it won't be enough. I'm using an Orion XTR Pro 1000 that I just bought off of BigBirney420 here on the forums. The big Memphis Belle would work, but it's also too much $$$. Besides, I just bought the Orion and I want to use it.

Hintzyboy
10-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Well i have an Eclipse EA2212 2-ch amp that is low enough power that I could probably use it on the tweets. Are there any decent 4-ch amps that could power the mids and the EF-8's? Also, what are the impedences on the separates (mids and tweets)? I'm guessing it's 8 ohm, then the bridge them down to 4 when you use the passive crossover in a normal component set. Correct me if i'm wrong

Flipx99
10-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Well i have an Eclipse EA2212 2-ch amp that is low enough power that I could probably use it on the tweets. Are there any decent 4-ch amps that could power the mids and the EF-8's? Also, what are the impedences on the separates (mids and tweets)? I'm guessing it's 8 ohm, then the bridge them down to 4 when you use the passive crossover in a normal component set. Correct me if i'm wrong

Most car audio (with the exception of infinity kappa series coaxials) are 4 ohms.

You will also want to make sure you can bandpass the mid. I think Diamond Audio makes a 4 channel with this capability, if you do not have an active crossover.

If you want to run passives, then get that 3-way crossover I was talking about. Leave that eclipse alone and get a 2 channel appropriate for your listening needs. I have ~100w on my 3way passive set and it works just fine for my ears. I wouldn't mix passive and active in the front stage.

Hintzyboy
10-26-2006, 01:15 PM
How then, does a normal Component set, including passive crossovers, achieve a 4-ohm load on each channel when there are 2 speakers (1 mid, 1 tweeter) per channel?

Flipx99
10-26-2006, 01:23 PM
From my understanding, the crossover blocks frequencies along a path. The only time resistance changes is when there is a L-pad along the circuit to attenuate the tweeter. That changes the signal to the tweeter, not the characteristics of the tweeter itself.

I would say to hook up a dmm to each part of the componet set, and then hook it up and the resistance should all be ~4 ohms.

That is just my understanding, which may be wrong

Hintzyboy
10-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Where can i pick one up. Any idea on what good brands are or what the average price is?

Flipx99
10-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Where can i pick one up. Any idea on what good brands are or what the average price is?

Pick what up?

Hintzyboy
10-26-2006, 01:37 PM
dmm, I don't have one.

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I think with the Belle and the Orion something like this might be do-able.

Memphis Amp:
Ch1+2 = tweets.
Ch2+3 = EF-61CF mids.
Ch5 = EF-8's.
As I'm sure you are already aware, the Baby Belle has the capability to have the LP/HP xovers set to 40 - 6000 Hz with either a 12 or 18 dB slope on Ch 1-4. Only possible drawback = you are limited to a LP 250 Hz max on the 5th channel. While this would be good for pronouncing things like kick drum skin tone (up to around 170-200 Hz) and the lower spectrum of bass guitars (can be as low at 17 Hz, but generally the lowest tuning is 41 Hz), it's not going to allow for much else. I'm a midbass freak and a metal head, so this would actually be music to my ears!

Orion:
Use for sub(s)

Flipx99
10-26-2006, 01:46 PM
You can get a DMM from wal-mart, lowe's, sears

stands for digital multi meter

Hintzyboy
10-26-2006, 01:48 PM
I knew what it stood for, just never used one, and didn't know where to get them. Didn't want to run to Wally World or Radio Shack or wherever if they didn't have them. Thanks.

Flipx99
10-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I knew what it stood for, just never used one, and didn't know where to get them. Didn't want to run to Wally World or Radio Shack or wherever if they didn't have them. Thanks.

both those places have them. It's a good tool to have because it can help diagnose problems, set gains, etc.

helotaxi
10-27-2006, 12:50 AM
I think with the Belle and the Orion something like this might be do-able.

Memphis Amp:
Ch1+2 = tweets.
Ch2+3 = EF-61CF mids.
Ch5 = EF-8's.
As I'm sure you are already aware, the Baby Belle has the capability to have the LP/HP xovers set to 40 - 6000 Hz with either a 12 or 18 dB slope on Ch 1-4. Only possible drawback = you are limited to a LP 250 Hz max on the 5th channel. While this would be good for pronouncing things like kick drum skin tone (up to around 170-200 Hz) and the lower spectrum of bass guitars (can be as low at 17 Hz, but generally the lowest tuning is 41 Hz), it's not going to allow for much else. I'm a midbass freak and a metal head, so this would actually be music to my ears!

Orion:
Use for sub(s)

Great except for the fact that the imaging would be messed up by the midbasses being in mono vice stereo, which is where this whole thread started.

DejaWiz
10-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Great except for the fact that the imaging would be messed up by the midbasses being in mono vice stereo, which is where this whole thread started.

Yes I know... it was just a suggestion.

SpasticGramps
10-29-2006, 05:42 PM
I'd get a passive crossover so you can run the components without tying up four channels. Crossing the midbass over so low that they aren't directional seems like a waste to me and putting them in mono crossed high would sound terrible.

Tough to get what you want out of that setup without going out and buying some more equipment.

Hintzyboy
10-29-2006, 05:43 PM
You can't run an active system using a passive crossover noob.:rolleyes:

SpasticGramps
10-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Implicit in my response was throwing out the idea of running active. But that's not what he wants to do so forget about it.

Hintzyboy
10-29-2006, 05:49 PM
he is me, genius.

:read:

If I didn't want to go active, I wouldn't have said I wanted to go active.;)

SpasticGramps
10-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Whatever bro, run your midbass in mono at least you can say you'll be the only one doing it.

Hintzyboy
10-29-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't plan on it. The whole reason I started this thread is to see if I could get away with it. I obviously found out I can't, so I need to buy another amp. Once again :read:

azbass
10-29-2006, 06:01 PM
pwnt