PDA

View Full Version : Boston Z6s... Leave them coaxial?

Rochambeau
10-24-2006, 07:26 PM
OK, admittedly I am rather the n00b but I have always been under the impression that component installation is better than coaxial. Perhaps I am wrong.

I am getting Boston Z6's for my car and I spoke to the Boston rep that said there is no advantage to breaking them out of the coaxial configuration that they ship in because they will be mounted in the factory speaker location which is just below chest level. Also, the cutout in the door panel slightly covers part of the the mids , but not the tweets. Again the Boston guy says this should be fine as long as the tweets show through the holes.

Should I leave them coaxial (will make for a much easier install) or break them out for better sound. If I break them out, the mids will be mounted low in the door panel (at about shin level) and the tweets will go to the chest high speaker hole.

FWIW, the Pro60s that are coaxial in the factory hole now present a pretty good soundstage, not too high or low.

Thanks in advance.

Beat_Dominator
10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
That's best sorted out through trial and error. If you are happy with the current staging then you might as well stay with a similar setup..... but its worth a shot splitting them up if you have time to play around with it.

Slowd N Throwd
10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Im going to have to agree with the boston rep.
I dont see a need to break them up but, if you want to go for it, it couldnt hurt

jiggy2dmax
10-24-2006, 09:05 PM
400 watt coaxials ftw!

JimJ
10-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Sounds like I have a very similar speaker placement to you...and the soundstage is far too low :)

I'd get some Velcro and see what they do up on the sail panels...

Notwerk
10-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Because the speaker is set low doesn't necessarily mean the sound stage will be low. That depends on too many variables. Point-source mounting has the advantage of keeping the tweeter and midbass on the same path length, which might also simplify staging. It really all depends, trial and error will be you guide, but there's nothing inherently bad about mounting speakers low (like they'd be in kickpanels, for example) or coaxially.

squeak9798
10-26-2006, 11:37 AM
That's best sorted out through trial and error.

:word:

In theory, co-axial mounting has the advantage by keeping the mid and tweeter together.

However, given the car is such an odd acoustical enviornment for a sound system, sometimes it is necessary to split up the mid and tweeter or aim them differently for best results. It really depends on your vehicle and what all tuning features you have at your disposal.