PDA

View Full Version : Inake

bibby
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
So i was browsing ebay looking for a new CAI, when i spotted this. What do you guys think about this? I'm not a ricer looking to add hp. I just want a little bit better air flow into my engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99-00-CIVIC-DX-LX-FRONT-MOUNT-COLD-AIR-INTAKE_W0QQitemZ200039372071QQihZ010QQcategoryZ386 34QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://i20.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/b6/04/03_1_b.JPG

Calikid
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
INAKE?? :eyebrow:

TylerBD12
10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
lawl

dkguitarist
10-24-2006, 06:12 PM
i thought he was talking about a new brand..:laugh:

Death By Bass
10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
yeah... could be alright...

apart from all the dirt, dust, and water the intake will probably be picking up off the road... lol

bibby
10-24-2006, 06:24 PM
I need to clean my keyboard. Leave me alone. :p: The filter should keep the dirt/bugs out. Water could be an issue though.

netherland24
10-24-2006, 06:31 PM
.... another ebay part... i NEVER... OR EVER will put ebay boo boo under my hood. i dont care if it has the same effects or what ever...

just remember you get what you pay for...

and see you have a civic... why do u need CIA? your prob gona get 2HP from it and if you have a I4 motor you just get a deeper sound from under the hood. if you wanna improve air flow get a short ram intake/ its cheaper and will do just as much as that CIA unless you boost and ****.

just upgrade your spark plug wiring to OEM/ or NGK... and plugs to OEM or Iridium. keep your maintance up on it and that should be it.

bibby
10-24-2006, 06:39 PM
and see you have a civic... why do u need CIA? your prob gona get 2HP from it and if you have a I4 motor you just get a deeper sound from under the hood. if you wanna improve air flow get a short ram intake/ its cheaper and will do just as much as that CIA unless you boost and ****.

just upgrade your spark plug wiring to OEM/ or NGK... and plugs to OEM or Iridium. keep your maintance up on it and that should be it.

LOL Someone didn't read the 1st post. You assumed since i have a civic, and am talking about an intake, that i want as much hp as possible. I stated in my first post, that i just want a little bit better air flow. That is all.

j3bus2k3
10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
LOL Someone didn't read the 1st post. You assumed since i have a civic, and am talking about an intake, that i want as much hp as possible. I stated in my first post, that i just want a little bit better air flow. That is all.

Then I would just get a short ram kit from a reputable company...AEM, Injen, etc...

Or hell, just throw in a K&N Filter in the stock box...

heyman421
10-24-2006, 06:46 PM
K&N drop-in FTW!!!!

Honda's already spent millions developing the parts for your car.

If you don't think they built every part on that car for a reason, you're wrong.

netherland24
10-24-2006, 06:50 PM

then do a SHORT RAM intake like j3bus2k3 and myself have said....

Alpineinstaller
10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Anything, just as long as its not that ebay stuff....

mtdewelf
10-24-2006, 07:29 PM
K&N drop-in FTW!!!!

Honda's already spent millions developing the parts for your car.

If you don't think they built every part on that car for a reason, you're wrong.

come on man, you're smarter then that.

anyways, OP my bud just bought a cold air kit and catback off of ebay for his 2k5 or 6 tiburon. I actually hate his car but there was a noticable gain just off the air kit before we put the catback on :uhoh: from ebay too

Lunchbocks
10-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I would beg you not to buy that item purely for its ridiculous lame factor

JimJ
10-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Don't forget an electric turbocharger.

heyman421
10-24-2006, 08:36 PM
come on man, you're smarter then that.

anyways, OP my bud just bought a cold air kit and catback off of ebay for his 2k5 or 6 tiburon. I actually hate his car but there was a noticable gain just off the air kit before we put the catback on :uhoh: from ebay too

It depends on the car and the quality of the intake.

I'm a dub/audi guy, myself, and with the exception of maybe 2 tested brands, the entire array of 'upgrade' intakes for the mk4 engines actually DECREASE performance.

I know certain cars can make marginal gains with a new air intake, but you have to understand that as long as the tube is physically large enough to flow enough air to keep added strain off the engine, the ports, the flow of the head itself, atmospheric pressure, air temperature, and the cam duration are going to be the limiting factors in how much air actually makes it into the engine. And if you actually open the hood of your car, most cars (honda civics INCLUDED) have cold air intakes from the factory, that draw air from behind the passenger side headlamp, well outside the heat of the engine.

Minus certain cars, which are engineered terribly from the factory (mazda speed 6's for example) you wont gain much by simply changing the TUBE that the car ***** air through.

You'd be much better off putting a k&n drop-in instead, and saving the rest of the money for some upgraded software, a cam, a new intake manifold, or some other upgrade that will yield you more noticeable results. That way, even though you're dissatisfied with the results of the purchase, you atleast have a re-useable air filter to save you some $$ down the road.

M@nJo
10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
spend a little more on something good so u dont have to worry about misplaced hardware/**** falling off while driving/etc.
http://www.importhorizon.com/intake.html

IMO, go for a short ram intake cause an CAI wouldnt do too much on that application. mostly if u live in an area where it rains a lot.

theCybe
10-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Do a GFI. :)

Better results than an SRI, and much safer for daily than that frontmounted piece of **** you posted :)

Alpine CDA-9815
10-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Stay away from the ebay crap.

azbass
10-24-2006, 11:21 PM
front mount style intakes sorry but are way lame and really arnt that great. might as well get a turbo, etc with a real fmic.
but really dont wast money on that stuff. a modified stock air box can be just as good.

phantom240
10-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Then I would just get a short ram kit from a reputable company...AEM, Injen, etc...

Or hell, just throw in a K&N Filter in the stock box...

AEM. AEM > all according to this test
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

And the only reason you would want better flow is to increase hp.

bbka
10-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Look into making your own and get a good filter for it (K&N or whatever), any cheap eBay kit will probably work, mount it in a place that will get cool air to it (bumper area usually). Don't waste money for an overpriced intake, it's just a fricking pipe with a filter. Short rams will just hurt performance, seeing as it ***** up all the hot engine compartment air. I'd just leave it stock personally, you won't notice any difference, except for sound, unless the stock intake has a bird stuck in it.

phantom240
10-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Look into making your own and get a good filter for it (K&N or whatever), any cheap eBay kit will probably work, mount it in a place that will get cool air to it (bumper area usually). Don't waste money for an overpriced intake, it's just a fricking pipe with a filter. Short rams will just hurt performance, seeing as it ***** up all the hot engine compartment air. I'd just leave it stock personally, you won't notice any difference, except for sound, unless the stock intake has a bird stuck in it.
Please refrain from making uneducated comments. SRI's dont **** in purely hot air. For instance in my car, there is a duct behind the headlight and a duct from the fender that fed the stock airbox with cooler air. Mind you this is a 1991 nissan... performace wasnt their main goal or else they would have left the SR20DET in it. Anyways, most all cars have ways of getting air thats less hot than whats in the motor bay. Also, the aluminum used in QUALITY kits resist heat soak many times better than stock plastic or cheap ebay kits.

bbka
10-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Please refrain from making uneducated comments. SRI's dont **** in purely hot air. For instance in my car, there is a duct behind the headlight and a duct from the fender that fed the stock airbox with cooler air. Mind you this is a 1991 nissan... performace wasnt their main goal or else they would have left the SR20DET in it. Anyways, most all cars have ways of getting air thats less hot than whats in the motor bay. Also, the aluminum used in QUALITY kits resist heat soak many times better than stock plastic or cheap ebay kits.

How about your refrain for being an idiot? If your intake is getting cool air from the fender, then it would be a cold air intake, not a short ram instake (I don't care if the box says short ram). When I say "short ram", I am just talking about the intakes that sit in the engine bay. Anything else I wouldn't consider a short ram. OBviously we are talking about different things.

Either way, wasting money on just intake/header/exhaust won't really give you enough performance to make it worth the money spent imo... The companys always claim it adds X amount of horsepower, but in the real world unless your car is already modded (cams, high c/r pistons, etc...), it will add very little power and just change the sound of your car. Having a 2 page thread about intakes is retarded.

phantom240
10-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Still not true. For instance, my car came stock with tiny exhaust piping with crush bends in it making it very restrictive. I put a catback on it and i noticed it revs a bit faster, has a little more power, and throttle response is better. After my intake i noticed a lot of difference. With my header, i felt a little more on the midrange-> topend, and it sounded a whole lot cleaner. No longer that raspy ricey sound.

bbka
10-26-2006, 06:06 PM
No, what I said was true, we obviously just have very different opinions on what is quick/fast. :) We also have different opinions on what is worth the money. To me, unless it adds a decent amount of power (forced induction or high c/r all motor setup), it's not really worth it. Some certain all motor cars will benefit from your basic I/H/E and tuning though. Your stock intake must have been REALLY ****** to see a gain, if there was a gain (only the dyno will tell you). Don't always believe your *** dyno, your ears and mind can play tricks on you after installing parts. ;) My *** dyno is actually pretty accurate with my car, but I know my car very well, so I can tell the difference 10whp/1psi of boost. I was out racing one night and it felt a little slower, sure enough I was only boosting about 9psi, and I am usually about 10psi. Less than 10whp gain or loss will be kinda hard to tell a difference imo, sometimes I notice when the weather is different, but then again then the *** dyno does lie.

azbass
10-26-2006, 06:09 PM
getting headers/exahust/intake are a nice way to go still if you just wana open things up in the car more.

not everybody needs a super fast car to look cool.

heyman421
10-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Your stock intake must have been REALLY ****** to see a gain

i'm not arguing with you here, i know vw/audi group uses the same airbox on every engine from the 1.8t all the way to the 480hp 4.2 turbo, but it really IS possible that some cars just come with just plain BAD equipment from the factory.

Bottom line, is make sure you buy a product that has PROVEN results. There's people testing equipment like this all the time, and some products work, and some don't. And on some cars, the factory equipment is just as good or better than the aftermarket stuff.

But i would say that the bottom line here, is that a slapped together ebay product, with no proof of results, or 3rd party testing, is probably not a good purchase.

I know i'm comparing apples to oranges here, but it's sort of the same thing as upgrading your head unit. There are good and bad head units out there, and cars come with good or bad factory equipment. Just because you swap it out doesn't mean you're necessarily making an upgrade, if that makes any sense.

Making hp, or more specifically, increasing airflow, doesn't just happen by accident, it needs to be a proven quality product, that was designed RIGHT, and actually works.

And furthermore, i know i'm getting away from the core idea behind this thread, but upgraded car parts usually have a tradeoff of some sort. When you change an exhaust pipe, or an intake manifold, or a cam (or pretty much everything) you're trading one thing for another. Bigger exhaust pipes, for example, open the car up to have better flow at higher RPMS, but the larger diameter pipe decreases air velocity, and thus loses efficiency in the lower engine speeds, so you trade torque for horsepower. Horsepower is USUALLY better, but what i'm trying to say, is that car parts need to be designed for a specific purpose, designed and engineered CORRECTLY to meet that purpose, and the results need to be proven, and displayed to show the end results.

And i'm sure there's some junk cars out there, where he stock parts were just designed willy-nilly, with no reason behind the engineering, but most of them ARENT. the factory parts are designed for the optimum balance of power, and driveability. more peak hp doesn't necessarily mean it comes without a cost. You may be able to maek more power up top, but you may have a harder time engaging gears without the engine bogging down, and may need to drive the car differently to keep it from losing power on the low end.

azbass
10-26-2006, 06:19 PM
i'm not arguing with you here, i know vw/audi group uses the same airbox on every engine from the 1.8t all the way to the 480hp 4.2 turbo, but it really IS possible that some cars just come with just plain BAD equipment from the factory.

:peace:

also if you smooth out the stock air box. you are even better ;)

heyman421
10-26-2006, 06:25 PM
the ol' swiss cheese routine, and snow filter removal are proven effective

azbass
10-26-2006, 06:26 PM
indeed

bbka
10-26-2006, 07:15 PM
getting headers/exahust/intake are a nice way to go still if you just wana open things up in the car more.

Haha if you say so.

Add up how much an AEM intake, DC header, and name brand cat-back exhaust would cost for your average 4 cylinder car... I just searched for prices and I was seeing at least $200, sometimes more for the intake. Searched for a DC header, looking at least $300. Exhaust I'll just guess $500. That's $1,000 (all brand new, obviously used would be cheaper) and you "opened" your car about 10-20whp if your lucky (barely enough to notice a difference), proly closer to the 10-15whp range, all of this depends on your car of course.

That's a lot of money for not much of a performance gain. A cheap cool air intake and removing the CAT would probably work just as well. Sorry just can't justify spending THAT much, but if you guys want to, go for it. Hell I pieced my turbo kit together for $1100, gained 130whp over stock (guessing I was around 100whp while stock).

Lots of people do buy into that I/H/E crap though, makes me wish I sold car parts.

bbka
10-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Even if I got all that stuff used for like $500, it still wouldn't be worth the minimal performance it will give you imo. Put all that crap on a honda and you still have a slow as balls car lol...

Just spend it on a new FI BTL, Mag, etc... those are about $500 with all the options right? Or whatever other sub you want lol.

kuijo
10-26-2006, 07:25 PM
I/H/E is a very good start, it allows any other mods you throw on to the car to take advantage of those things. I've got a EMS in my car and wouldn't have gained as near as much horsepower as i would have with it unless i had I/H/E
I wouldn't run a supercharger without those 3 things.
I wouldn't run a turbo without an exhaust.

They might be trivial at the beginning but they really help out in the end.

Oh and short rams **** hot air. I've even seen a few dynos were people lose power on hot days because of it.

bbka
10-26-2006, 07:31 PM
You have an RSX right? That's what you got in your sig. That would be one I might actually consider getting an I/H/E and K-Pro on, only if the K20 was in a light hatch though (actually thought about doing that), in your heavy car I probably wouldn't bother. For a car like mine (ex civic coupe) it's a complete waste of money to go I/H/E.

Also what do you mean by good start? After I/H/E, unless you plan on going nitrous or S/C there ain't much else your going to do. Maybe cams? ITB's? More horsepower will proly need bigger exhaust than you got (nitrous or s/c), possibley better header if your going nitrous or s/c. ITB's you won't even use the intake you already bought.

Building an all motor setup and F/I setup would be different, sure the parts woudl work, but I'd specifically want a header and exhaust setup for F/I, not all motor.

kuijo
10-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Thats what i meant, I/H/E is a great start for a n/a build. I guess the next step would be cams or something along those lines that would utilize the latter mods.

If you're going turbo like you did, i probably wouldn't have bothered with those mods to begin with either. I mean I/H would have been a waste of money just to go turbo, the exhaust is still good idea though.

bbka
10-26-2006, 07:57 PM
F/I exhaust would be bigger than N/A exhaust though, even if you got bigger aftermarket N/A exhaust you will proly still want to go a little bigger when you go F/I.

Trust me, I am a cheap bastard when it comes to cars lol, spending extra money *****, cause cars get expensive.

phantom240
10-26-2006, 10:09 PM
You have an RSX right? That's what you got in your sig. That would be one I might actually consider getting an I/H/E and K-Pro on, only if the K20 was in a light hatch though (actually thought about doing that), in your heavy car I probably wouldn't bother. For a car like mine (ex civic coupe) it's a complete waste of money to go I/H/E.

Also what do you mean by good start? After I/H/E, unless you plan on going nitrous or S/C there ain't much else your going to do. Maybe cams? ITB's? More horsepower will proly need bigger exhaust than you got (nitrous or s/c), possibley better header if your going nitrous or s/c. ITB's you won't even use the intake you already bought.

Building an all motor setup and F/I setup would be different, sure the parts woudl work, but I'd specifically want a header and exhaust setup for F/I, not all motor.

There are a LOT of mods that can be done to an all motor car. in fact, im using my spare motor to build an all motor 240. For instance, in addition to the I/H/E mods you have cams, pistons, forged rods, Forged Knife edged and fully coutnerweighted crankshafts (a must for any high revver), Lightweight pulleys, port and polish work, milling your head, ITB's (gotta have big cojones to concot something like that on my 240), and there are many others. Of course, theres a lot of parts i didnt mention that go along with some of the parts like titanium valve springs and retainers. I would rather have 200hp via N/A than 200hp via turbo. Lag is a *****, but to each his own.

bbka
10-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I know what there is, but I'm just talking about the mods that actually add a decent amount of horsepower. All that stuff you mentioned won't add **** for power unless you do it all, even then it's not much power, and your car is still slow. I guess it depends on what you think is fast though. To make all motor cars fast, it's VERY expensive.

You say you would rather have a 200whp all motor car, rather than turbo? Using my car for an example, that would be dam near impossible and VERY VERY expensive (it hurts thinking how much that woudl cost). I'll stick with my cheap turbo kit lol. Oh and turbo lag is completely overrated (ride in a good setup and you won't think it's bad), when racing I launch around 4k with drag radials (slicks at redline) and never drop below that rpm, so lag is never an issue. Ball bearing turbos also make a world of difference, I'd love to have one on my next setup.:)

So back on topic, did this guy ever get is intake? Lol...

K&N filter and cheap eBay cold air intake... FTW!

:p:

heyman421
10-27-2006, 04:17 PM
I say screw intake mods altogether and throw a couple dual-barrel webers on there.

You'll never get an injected car to sound that good, EVAR.

ITB's are a close second, and easier to do:

http://www.fonzarelli.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vids/misc/24vitb.avi

phantom240
11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
lol. dual weber carbs ftmfw. I had a 260z way long ago that had dual webers. Oh god that thing was quick ad soudned mean, but rust in an underbody wont do ya much good if you ever get in a wreck, so i sold it.