PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DEH-P6800mp vs. Alpine CDA-9857

bagleymj
10-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm looking to get a head unit for my 2001 Tacoma, and was wondering which would be the better choice between these two. I'm looking for something that will function with both XM and the iPod. Can either/both of these HUs interface with those two sources simultaneously? How easy is it to control the iPod through the Pioneer? Is it fast?

I think I'm leaning toward the Pioneer because of the price and the features. But I really am wondering how well it works with iPod and XM. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

Mugen
10-24-2006, 01:32 PM
If you're getting the regular 6800MP, you might as well spend the few extra dollars and get the Premier 680MP. And you'll need to buy a $50 iPod adapter from Pioneer, whereas I think the Alpine just needs a cable. As for both simultaneously, they can both be plugged in, but you won't be able to like listen to both at once or anything.

bagleymj
10-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah, no need to listen to both at once. I just wanted to make sure that there were enough ports for both of those expansions. How about the speed of the iPod adapter? I know that Alpine claim a "full-speed" connection...how close to "full speed" is the pioneer/premier connection.

Does anyone have any experience with XM for this HU? How does the display compare to a SkyFi or something of that nature? Also, can you tune to stations directly using the remote control?

Thanks!

bikejunkie223
10-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I have an older 860 premier with the ipod connection and xm radio so i'll answer your questions as best as I can. The ipod connection is nowhere near full speed. I don't know if the Alpine's truly is either, but I know the pioneer isn't. If you listen by playlists then it's good to go, if you constantly jump around it will irritate you. The thing i do if I want to listen to something specific is with the ipod unplugged I find whatever and start it playing, then plug it into the dock. As far as the XM goes, you can direct select channels with the remote and it shows the song, artist, channel, etc.